Has anyone used this paint?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JH_B28

Has anyone used this paint?

Post by JH_B28 »

I have to decide which paint i'm going to use to paint the spots I repaired on the hull. The problem is I don't know what paint & color was used previously. I'm assuming its imron from what i've seen so far.
I can get this paint at a really good price: http://www.valsparrefinish.com/download ... DS_ROW.pdf

Do any of the faithful have experience with this paint? Would it be better to spend a little more time & money and paint the whole hull (sides) to prevent any blending issues??

Here are some pics of the repairs:

Thanks,

-George
Jorge E.
1973 Bertram 28'
Yanmar 4LH-STE's
In Memory Walter K

Re: Has anyone used this paint?

Post by In Memory Walter K »

George- If the original paint was Imron, it's a great touch up paint. Especially with a non-exotic color like white.
JH_B28

Post by JH_B28 »

walter,

I'm trying to figure out a way to take a sample to the shop for analysis which doesn't include cutting out a piece of hull LOL.

I will try out a small section with the valspar to see how it matches with the rest of the hull. I was told it was very similar to imron. Not sure how true this is.

thanks,

-G
Jorge E.
1973 Bertram 28'
Yanmar 4LH-STE's
Buju

Post by Buju »

They mean similar in the aspect that it's an acrylic urethane... Most likely it'll have completely different ratings in it's pencil hardness, abrasion wheel rating, etc.
BUT, if you can hit the color, and it can be sanded, buffed and polished, then it might work out for you... maybe..?..
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
JH_B28

Post by JH_B28 »

Buju,

I hope that the maybe is closer to the "be" than to the "may". I'm going to give it a try with valspar. If the blending doesn't work well and the repaired spots eventually show up, then its back to sanding & painting the whole hull with the same paint or maybe Awlcraft if my pockets get deeper.

- G
Jorge E.
1973 Bertram 28'
Yanmar 4LH-STE's