calling Goober

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Goober

calling Goober

Post by Goober »

Capt pat did I screw up by spraying wood gloss before rapid cure if so how can I remedy the problem
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: calling coolair

Post by CaptPatrick »

Goober wrote:Capt pat did I screw up by spraying wood gloss before rapid cure if so how can I remedy the problem
Goober,

Let's first get the terminology down. I presume you're talking about Epifanes varnishes...

There's:
Epifanes Wood Finish Gloss Varnish (with phenolic based resins, tung oil, and UV inhibitors)
Epifanes Rapid Clear Varnish (no pigments)
Epifanes Rapid Coat Varnish (normal reddish pigment)

Depending on what wood I'm working with, the two rapids are my choice. For teak and mahogany I'd likely use the Rapid Coat, for oak, poplar, or ash I'd go for Rapid Clear. There shouldn't be any problem putting one of the rapids over Wood Finish Gloss, but because they are slightly different varnishes, let the Wood Finish Gloss cure for a few days and scuff it up good with a coarse refinishing pad before switching over to either the Rapid Clear or Rapid Coat. Don't switch until you're sure that the gloss is good and hard.

With either of the rapids, you can lay 3 coats every 18 hours without sanding between coats, (one coat every 5-6 hours in optimal conditions). If you go over that time window it'd be best to wait a full 24 hours, then scuff lightly with a fine or medium finishing pad before applying the next coat(s).
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Buju

Re: calling Goober

Post by Buju »

Also, something I learned a few years back which has saved me hundreds of $$...

West Marine's "Wood Pro semi gloss" is, in fact, Epifanes Rapidclear with an uglier label.
Costs about $20 less per can/liter.
When your going through multiple gallons, it becomes a very significant savings, very quickly.

To reduce it, you can also use VM&P Naptha in place of their proprietary reducers. Do not use mineral spirits.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
Goober

Re: calling Goober

Post by Goober »

Again guys your advice saves time & more especially money thanks again BR goober