Belize With Walterk

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Brewster Minton

Belize With Walterk

Post by Brewster Minton »

Some time ago I asked Walterk to come to Belize fly fishing with my father and cousen and I. He came with us and it was a great trip. A nice break from the world. The best way to find out about someone is to travel with them. Walterk is first class. We all enjoyed his time with us and look forward to another trip some time with him. Thanks to Capt Patrick for getting us all together.
Pete Fallon

Re: Belize With Walterk

Post by Pete Fallon »

Brewster,
Where about in Belize do you go?. I was down there for 10 days back in 1994, went to Turnefee Island Lodge, just for the bone fishing, it was shortly after a hurricane hit the area. They had a generator that they ran for about 4 hours a day sounded like the take off runway at JFK. Fishing was incredible first day there 3 hours of fishing walking the inside of the reef went 17 to 19 bone fish in the 4 to 8 pound range on 6 lb test spinning gear, next morning had the inshore slam,tarpon, permit and snook in under 2 hours. Came down with amoebic dysenitary(spelling) just before I got to the island. Crew boat trip was not fun throwing and going for hours. The Guide said he never saw anyone cast, puke, set the hook, reel and crap at the same time. I got so dehydraded that I had to cut the trip short by 5 days. The guide only had 3 fingers on one hand his name was George, lost fingers in a logging accident when he was a kid, nice guy. Boat was an old 13' whaler with a Tohastu 25 boat had seen alot of hours.
I still want to go back some day fishing was incredible and the food that I could keep down was great. Only thing I didn't like was the doctor flies, giant horse flys that after they bit you they covered the wound back up so the eggs would hatch under your skin, never got bit but guide said they were really nasty creatures. I also when the Ambregris Key but signs posted all over the island warning of Cholera outbreak, needless to say I only stayed there one day. I chartered a 4 seat Piper Club for 8 days flew all over the country great way to see the area. Went from Northeast section to offshore islands back to western border to Mayan ruins. Even my wife enjoyed the trip. Had to make a couple of horse back trips to keep the peace. All a round great experience.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Walter is on my bucket list of class acts on this site that will get a big hug from me one day! Quality human!

Pull your hat down Walter this may bec ome a love festival, unless MO slides through and tags us men with no testicals.

:)
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Walter is a class act! I enjoyed his company at UVII and Tropic Star.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Yeah, I may have to shut this down. You guys are all too gushy......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Next post from this crowd is going to be about going for facials and pedicures together. Is the beaujolais nouveau ready yet?
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

If you think this was a bunch of softies, try competing with Brewster fly casting in torrential rains. He can lay a fly under the hanging branches of a Mangrove in the space of a teacup at 70 feet... no matter what the conditions. Whether it's Tuna or Trout, this guy can outfish anyone I know. It was amazing to watch. Just being there was half the fun!
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Sounds like a great trip and Walter sounds like your getting around well enough! I'm jealous..
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

That must have been a great trip...Brew could catch a fish in a tidy bowl..two great fisherman just doing their thing..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

walter wrote: He can lay a fly under the hanging branches of a Mangrove in the space of a teacup at 70 feet... no matter what the conditions. Whether it's Tuna or Trout, this guy can outfish anyone I know. It was amazing to watch. Just being there was half the fun!

I can see from Brew's competition here in california he could easily do that.
Brew I had wished we had some more time we could have showed you around some fishing areas a little more exciting than that pool with rings for ya! Walter that must have been something to see Brew in a natural envirenment doing his thing glad trip was so great.