Bertram 56 international motor yacht not sport fish 1970

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

CaptainJohn

Bertram 56 international motor yacht not sport fish 1970

Post by CaptainJohn »

I am new to this site but I found some information here about a 56 Bertram International and I am trying to get any information on that boat. I'm purchasing a 56 international and It looks like a Hatteras 56 motor yacht. It has the weirdest hydro drive transmission I've ever seen!! I love the boat. It has issues but its classic and deserves restoration.
Bruce
Site Admin

Re: Bertram 56 international motor yacht not sport fish 1970

Post by Bruce »

http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.ph ... ernational" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

view the above thread from a year ago on Bertram International unless thats your reference.

Heres some good info on hydrostatic drives.

http://hydraulicspneumatics.com/200/Tec ... ulicPumpsM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CaptainJohn

Post by CaptainJohn »

Thank you for the reply. I have read that thread about the 56 Bertram, I just can't find any real information. The 1970 Bertram 56 International I have has its blueprints and it shows everything to be in its proper location, but the engine room is where an aft cabin would normally be and the twin caterpillar 333d are in backwards! And they turn a transmission that drives a "Hydro Drive" brand pump. There's no shafts on this boat. The propellers are attached to a really odd lower unit! The lower unit is bolted directly to the hull and looks like a HUGE lower unit off an outboard. The props are 4 blade 30 inch stainless steel. I'm in the process of buying this yacht but I am really worried about these engines, pumps, and lower units because I've never seen this setup before and I can't find anyone that can help me. It's a 1970 and this equipment was all built in this boat when it was new, so there might not be any parts anywhere!
We really want to get as much information as possible but Google is not being much help. I'm also trying really hard to find pictures of Richard Bertram's 56' 1970 "Envoy". It should be this ships sister. Thank you for any help.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Capt. John,

You raise an interesting yellow flag when you point out that the propulsion system is unlike anything that you have ever seen.......caution is advised here! If that system is obsolete and parts/service are not available, I would be scared to death that you might have to retrofit the power/propulsion program altogether. Given the location of the power plant far astern (you said where the aft cabin would be, rather than midship), I would think a retrofit could be prohibitively expensive. I've seen smaller boats with V-drives where the engines were installed "backwards" and mated to a typical shaft, but your description sounds more like a pod-drive than a V-drive. I don't ever want to see someone on this page get beat up by finding out AFTER the fact that they have purchased a pig-in-a-poke. Just my 2 cents.............
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Tommy- good advice! No matter how much I might like the lines of that specific boat, I would stay away from it because in all my years, I have never heard of such a set-up.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Hopefully equipment was built to last longer then you need it to....but for me.
I'd have to have a backup plan just in case a unit took an unrepairable dump.

The way things work for me...everything else would turn to PooH leaving the drive equipemt just fine...but I'd still have a plan.

Good luck!
Carl
CaptainJohn

Post by CaptainJohn »

Thanks guys for your advice. I've already purchased the Bertram and I love it! I understand that engines and drives are expensive, but if it comes to that, I will do what it takes. I was just hoping to find some specific information about this set up.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Capt. John, congrats and tight lines! All that matters is that you love it; so have fun and keep us posted. Also know that you've got a crowd here that will help anyway we can.