Gulf of Mexico Snapper Limits/YFT Reporting Requirements

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Marshall Mahoney

Gulf of Mexico Snapper Limits/YFT Reporting Requirements

Post by Marshall Mahoney »

Have any of you Gulf of Mexico anglers been following the proposed reduction in red snapper limits to "1 snapper for every 2 anglers?" How about the newly required fishing permit and reporting system for yellowfin tuna (and soon to be all other species) requiring reporting of fish measurements, time of catch, block location, etc. PRIOR to unloading from the vessel? Price of fishing just went up.

I can't seem to find where to send opinions or how to attempt to fight these ridiculous rules.
Harry Babb

Re: Gulf of Mexico Snapper Limits/YFT Reporting Requirements

Post by Harry Babb »

The only thing that I heard, on the evening news, is that Snapper season will open this year on June 1st and be open for 27 days. The news reported that the limit will be 2 Snapper per person per day.

A meeting was held in Orange Beach. Everyone was up in arms but I doubt that changed anything. The charter guys will be out of business soon.....I cannot see how they can survive much longer.

I am unaware of the Yellowfin Tuna regs.

hb
hb
Marshall Mahoney

Getting hard to justify an offshore trip these days. Has to be tough for the charter guys who depend on offshore trips for a living. The snapper are thick in Lousiana. In fact it's hard to get thru them to target other species. We were catching snapper while chuuming for tuna at the lump yesterday. Did catch a 75 pound yellowfin while casting for bonita -- here are the grilled remains -- waste not!

Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Marshall try this link.

http://www.gulfcouncil.org/council_meet ... 0Limit.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Getting tough to fight the out right lies NOAA fisheries puts out on species numbers. Their data accounting is seriously flawed and biased toward peta extremism.
Gov't management in and of itself in any form or fashion is an oxymoron.
Marshall Mahoney

Thanks Bruce -- looks like a good place to send my first letter...
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I cannot come up with much to say......ya just have to live on the Gulf of Mexico Coast and fish in the Gulf waters to really feel the frustration here

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/509 ... lf+report/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hb
hb
Marshall Mahoney

Harry,
Thanks for the post. I sent the link to one of our local news channels and asked for a follow up. It's rare to find an issue that recreational fishermen, commercial fishermen, and even PETA can agree on. Its bad enough to destroy a marine habitat, but to completly remove one is obsurd. I have also read where rigs are removed, cleaned, and shipped to Florida to be sunk as artificial reefs. I am assuming environmentalists are the ones pushing for the rig removal. If they were to go SCUBA diving on a rig, they would change their minds.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Marshall

I had no idea that "Blowing Up" the subsea structures was going on until my dad told me about the new clip on channel 15 last Friday. That's when I got on the internet here and started probing around.

Apparently its a common thing (using explosives to sink undesirable structure)

I found yet another article

http://guyharveysportswear.com/blog/201 ... -resource/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I continue to be very disappointed about the way our society seems to have and continue to elect and promote idiots to the decision making and controling positions of our government.....(and yes I am king of run on sentences)......just don't know exactly what to do........

In my way of thinking the responsible partys, from the organizational level down to the individual should be held accountable in the same fashion as the companies and individuals responsible for the Deep Water Horizon accident......in my way of thinking both have done serious damage to our natural resources.........

Although only a few of our Bertram 31 members are from the Gulf Coast, activities like this affect all of us......What can we do as a group to partener with other similar groups and ATTACT the governmental agencies responsible for this and other irresponsible activities.

hb
hb
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Harry

We need to bring this type of thing to the attention of groupls like the RFA and then we have to support those groups. Otherwise you have to try and build an organization yourself which is not easy. If there was one group that could meet all of our needs then we would all better off because we could all get behind them, but they are all splintered.

We need a sport fishing group that is as strong and outspoken as the NRA.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
coolair

Post by coolair »

its a damn shame we are allowed to keep 2 fish, yet they can kill thousands, and for what????
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

The anglers biggest problem is not having a national member driven organization with effective lobbyists and the 800 lb gorilla persona that other groups such as peta have. You have to have political clout which anglers do not. I've been around the angler community for 40 years, they tend to be extremely lazy when it comes to these issues.

Shooters have nssf and the nra. Neither is perfect, but something is better than nothing.

Harry,
Maybe only a few of us live on the gulf, but most of the regulars have been to a UVI on the gulf and some of us have navigated the gulf between countries. Its a beautiful pristine eco system that as citizens is part of all our heritage. We should all be concerned.
Goober

Post by Goober »

Livin in southern s c a blu water trip Is 2/3 hour trip I wish we had Rigs such as g o m our season is worse cant catch crap and bring it home black sea bass are so thick u can't get passed them
snapper are there but the quota is full from commerisal boats rec man and charter boats don't have a chance the destruction o f rigs is typical of stupid PETA/politics
Goober

Post by Goober »

Goober wrote: snapper are there but the quota is full from commerisal boats rec man and charter boats don't have a chance the destruction o f rigs is typical of stupid PETA/politics
Goober wrote: snapper are there but the quota is full from commerisal boats rec man and charter boats don't have a chance the destruction o f rigs is typical of stupid PETA/politics
sorry guys I left something out sea bass season won't open till June 1 totally sucs
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Just hear say so far but tonight I "Heard" that Joe Bonner has successfully halted the explosions and resulting fish kills.....at least for now.

In the same conversation it was mentioned that the "Powers to be" said that they had no idea that the explosions would kill the fish.........and these are our leaders?????

hb
hb
Goober

e: Gulf of Mexico Snapper Limits/YFT Reporting Requirements

Post by Goober »

[quote]Our so called leaders are only interested in a check when those rigs go away u can bet ur butt a long line boat from who knows wat country will be Cacthin our fish. BR goober
Marshall Mahoney

I asked New Orleans Channel 8 to run a similar story to the Alabama news report on the snapper kill. Not sure if they ran it because of my e-mail -- but good story anyway. Leave the rigs alone!

http://www.fox8live.com/story/21347595/ ... ds-of-fish" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

--Marshall