UV

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Dug

UV

Post by Dug »

I was just thinking how much I actually really do miss UV.

So good it makes you want to smack yo mama.

Recipes...

Great stories, humor, support and friendship.

Damn, he was a needler, but a really good guy...

UV, if you are listening, and I suspect you are, I am choking back a tear for you buddy...

I miss you.

Dug
Carl

Re: UV

Post by Carl »

True words Dug...

I find it funny how you can miss someone you never met or spoke to outside the few lines typed on this internet boating forum.

Missed for sure...
Carl
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

I never met him, never spoke with him on the phone, never exchanged emails with him.. yet I also miss him and his wisdom and advice. Fair seas Uncle Vic!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I have had the good fortune to have done all you have mentioned. Attending 3 of his UVI's has been one of the major memory moments of my life, only to be exceeded by 2 TSL trips with him. His was the first call I got after coming out of surgery when I got my hip replaced. For a guy who enjoyed being perceived as a toughie, he was real softie when you got to know him. He put us all together and never let any of us forget what a special site Patrick created. I find it hard to believe he is no longer with us, but on this site I think we all can agree, he still lives. Walter
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Funny, I was thinking the other day how quite the Board is without him. He always got us going one way or another. He held the group together by making us come back for more.

And by the way, not to change the subject, but has anyone heard from Randall?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I have spoken to him around Christmas. He has been very busy preparing for shows. He had told me earlier that when the site changed, he was no longer able to get into it and I guess he stopped trying. Might take a call to/from Patrick to clear up that matter.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Spoke with him last night. He has a big show in NY starting in two weeks, so he's struggling to put together work to exhibit.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

I was just thinking about his original, "First you make a roux" post this morning as the wife was watching GMA and Emeril was on and said something about a roux. If memory serves which it rarely does I think it was a delicous "Grosbeak" recipe. :)
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Any who can for forget the GPU (grosbeak propulsion unit). I believe that Vic was working on plans for a portable version of the GPU to power Bruces tin foil hat when he passed.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

One heck of a guy! I miss him.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

quote: Wizard of Oz to Tinman
"a heart is judged not by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others"
.... I never met UV, but it seems as though he was loved by many and is surely missed by many.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Yeah, I think about him every day. His "Bride" is doing well, I am happy to report.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

I leaned on Vic numerous times and he was always there for my support and friendship. It's still hard to think of him as gone... I also remember him as one of, if not THE, first member on this site. I too think of him on a daily basis. R.I.P. Vic, you earned it.

We really need Port Eads to get back in operation so we can have a true UV Memorial gathering...

Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

UV will live on...maybe Capt. Pat can repost some of his pearls of wisdom for the new guys from time to time...then he can live on and on and on and on...and they can get to know one of the true classics from this sandbox..Mark, I watched a cooking show over new years day and the lady cooking mentioned "this is a roux", first thing that came to mind was UV..for those who havent tried his rib recipe...give it a shot...best ribs I EVER had..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Ok UV tell me how to cook pork ribs your way on grill.
Okay Brew.....rub them with sea salt and put them on the indirect end of the grill, uncovered, meat side up. Close the lid on the grill and keep the heat about 225 degrees. Use a small firebox on the hot end of the grill with some hickory chips for smoke, change the chips now and then.

The Sauce.......ahhhhhhh, the sauce....been in my family since before The War of Northern Agression......

Take a saucepan and melt three sticks of original Parkay and add some olive oil to the melted Parkay, say the equivalent of a couple more sticks. Add the juice of at least 4 lemons, then slice up fine the peel of two or three of the lemons and add to the pot and simmer. Add two tablespoons of sea salt and two tablespoons of soy suace, then press in a lot of fresh garlic, say a whole head, continue to simmer - the trick is to cook down the lemon peel to a mush. If it looks too thick, add some more olive oil, if too thin, add some more chopped lemon peel - a food processor will chop the woo-woo outta the peel, but its better thinly sliced and hand diced. Keep slowly cooking down the sauce as you use it, adding a little olive oil if you start to run low.

Let the ribs cook an hour or so unbasted to let the sea salt make a rind, then baste the ribs frequently with the sauce as they cook. Cook them for 8 or 10 hours......after about 6 hours turn them meat side down and baste the bone side, let them cook that way for an hour, then flip 'em back over, continue to baste to keep them from drying out. They are getting toward done when the bones start to stick out. As long as you keep them basted real good they are hard to overcook.

Buy ribs with a lot of fat on them - grocery stores in the ghetto have the best. Stay away from "lean" or "heart healthy" shit. We cookin' ribs here, not dieting.

UV
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Thanks for initiating this post, Dug; and thanks for adding to it guys. The ribs recipe is a classic Patrick! I was blessed to have spent time with him at the Flophouse at the FLL Boat Shows (thanks for finding that gem, Ric) and at his fish camp when he helped me by the B-20 Sportsman. As you might guess, he treated us to Cajin crawfish one night! Thanks for the memories, Vic! And thanks for letting us know his bride is doing well, Andre.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Great to read the memories. That was what was going through my mind.

I first met UV in Lauderdale, like many of us. that was an entertaining time. Yep, how Timmy got his Thuddddd moniker.

Then UV and his Bride came to the Montauk Rendezvous in 2003. Wow... 10 years ago... never did I see him without a clear.

And newport.

And Lauderdale again.

Good times...

Thanks for the recipe reminder!!!!!

Dug
capy

Post by capy »

The GPU.......... I was working on the technical dissertation for the patent some years back....

"There is more than one way to skin a cat, than to feed it melted butter"

The pork butt recipe was my favorite!!!

UVI"s were highlights in my life as well, so many great folks in one place, at the same time.
good to to hear Mrs. Roy is getting on well..thanks, Andre.
He is sorely missed
1961 Sportfish Hull# 5-35
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

About UV.....Some guys you never forget and some guys make a difference in your life. UV was both.
A/K/A El Gaupo
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Mike, Great pic, bet that reel slayed a few fish. Hope its still in use...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Ric

Post by Ric »

hello ,,,,,,been some time since i logged in ,,how appropriate that the first post i open is a rememberance of U.V
he was a remarkable guy. generous to a fault .so many memories of U.V ,, the towel wrapped arround his head and the ensuing tirade at the U.V.i after drinking the south african liqour that the (africaners) brought was a classic,,, lauderdale boat shows swim suit contest stands out,,,the .flophouse 20 guys in the top floor suite .,.,.,Doc resident photographe,,,,so many good times,,12 years have passed since then..seems like yesterday,
,,C.S.I drawing of timmy on the floor at casablancas next to flop house when U.V me timmy and Mike O had dinner and timmy thought he could go head to head with U,V,,,no can do ,,,we carried timmy to the room U,V walked back,,the U.V.I's were an unbelievable experience and i will allways be greatful that my son david got to taste that at such a young age,,,,,,
speaking of costa rica,,,i am here in samara southwest province of guanacaste on the bottom of the Nicoya penninsula what a great place met a 31 owner in playa Carrillo sunny koscis he runs a bert been here for 22 years
his boat was on the cover of marlin mag and the editor for marlin billfishes with him. I promised to e/mail him so he can join the web page
.I believe bill orlando still has his 31 in quepos which is 45 minute ride from jaco,,,los suenos is 2 miles from jaco,,,they cleaned up jaco,,,,hotels will not let you bring the girls back to the room its a family destination now
(((((the nerve))))) happy new year to all ric
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Speaking of Port Eads the place that UV loved, the new make over shouldn't be much longer before it's in open for business. Lookin good.

[imgImage][/img]
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Quite a change.

Looks like Tiger's place has held up......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

It sure does considering the last pic I have of it was from a flyover after Katrina.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Is that still going to be the Big Game Club in the foreground?
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

It's incredible to think that two men died because they couldn't get from where that crane in the background is, to the lighthouse. Must have been fierce.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
randall

Post by randall »

think about him most days . he once said "if any of you need my help and don't ask for it i will consider it a personal affront"....and he meant it.