Top 50 Boats?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John Brownlee

Top 50 Boats?

Post by John Brownlee »

Hi guys,

At the Ft. Lauderdale Boat Show, a group of us got into an after dinner conversation about the best boats in history. It was pretty interesting and a vigorous debate, and it inspired me to poll our staff and a large group of our contributors to get their thoughts on the subject. We pulled all of that information together and came up with this list. I thought you might find it interesting, although I'm pretty sure what boat tops that list in your minds!

I hope you enjoy it and Happy Holidays to everyone.

JB

http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/galle ... s-all-time" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: Top 50 Boats?

Post by CaptPatrick »

John,

Thanks!

I don't think anyone here will mind bowing to the 43’ Merritt, but being a step below the SeaCraft 20??? Don't think so... And the Ocean Yacht 40 within the top 50 list? The original OY 48SS maybe, but that's even a strech. An outboard Catameran? Forget it! And what about Sonny Hines' Hines/Farley? Not even on the list??
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

no 41 Hatteras ..... the boat that started the company ??
The 13 whaler, 31 Bertram and 41 Hatteras are in my mind the greats, because they started three of the easliy arguable best boat companies ever ... and no matter how old, folks still want 'em !!
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Who doesn't want to be #1.

Once I get past that I'd be happy to own a 37' or 43' Merritt, 40' gamefisherman or 34' Rybovich

4 or 5 times it was mentioned that the other boat was almost as good as a 31' Bertram
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
buzzk

Post by buzzk »

Steve, I'm with you on the 41 Hatteras. As you said 13 Whaler, 41 Hatteras and 31 Bertram they made the name for some boat companies.
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Guys, remember is best "fishing" boat.

I'm with Capt. Pat, what is an Ocean Yacht doing in that list! and a SeaCraft on top of the B31? No way!
John Brownlee

Post by John Brownlee »

I was surprised so many of our guys voted the 20 SeaCraft so highly too, but you have to remember that it was a hugely influential boat, and a lot more people could afford them than 31 Bertrams.
John Brownlee

Post by John Brownlee »

CaptPatrick wrote: The original OY 48SS maybe, but that's even a strech. An outboard Catameran? Forget it! And what about Sonny Hines' Hines/Farley? Not even on the list??
You're right about the Hines/Farley, maybe the nicest boat ever. A lot of readers are lighting us up for leaving out the 44 Garlington too, another classic.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

340 Luhrs? Yikes
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

61 Garlington...43 Merritt..31 Bertram...My top three
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

John

Like everyone said.

John you really have to get that staff out more, or maybe shake them up. The 20 Sea Craft before the 31, and then what was not considered.

Several years ago Marlin Magazine put the 31 in the top ten of all sport fishing boats. There was no Sea Craft in that list I can asssure you of that.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
John Brownlee

Post by John Brownlee »

Tony Meola wrote:Several years ago Marlin Magazine put the 31 in the top ten of all sport fishing boats. There was no Sea Craft in that list I can asssure you of that.
I hear you, but Marlin is a totally offshore focused magazine, we cover everything. Marlin covers no center consoles or outboard powered boats at all.
John Brownlee

Post by John Brownlee »

JP Dalik wrote:340 Luhrs? Yikes
JP: I agree, but votes are votes.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Every time I get to 15 it locks up.
Buju

Post by Buju »

Pretty good list... some of them though- not so sure they should be in there.
Like the Hydrasports, based on that it's the first kevlar hull??? My 1978 Sidewinder flats skiff has a 100% kevlar hull layup, beat the Hydrasports by 2 years.
I feel like the B28 Hyena is being shafted, based on the sales of it alone...
I do like that the Seacraft 20 you used for the picture (Stancyzk's), is a boat that I personally rebuilt and restored during my time at Islamarine. A lot of work went into that hull, and sweat, and blood...
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
John Brownlee

Post by John Brownlee »

Buju wrote:I do like that the Seacraft 20 you used for the picture (Stancyzk's), is a boat that I personally rebuilt and restored during my time at Islamarine. A lot of work went into that hull, and sweat, and blood...
I didn't know you worked at IslaMarine. Tom has my Yellowfin bay boat there right now doing some work on it. They do awesome work there, and Ricky's SeaCraft is one sweet restoration for sure.
Carl

Post by Carl »

That's the problem with subjective votes...people have to have experiences with' em to vote on them.
I am thinking Affordability and Wife Friendly put a couple boats on that list.

John,
Wanna know why your job is safe from me taking your job as editor.

Aside from the fact that I ramble, don't always fact check, spelling is horrible, grammar atrocious, love to use "..." where ever I can.

...as editor, I would have given an additional vote every time "like the 31 Bertram" was referenced in the description, then recounted...if the 31 was not on top just yet...I'd make a few calls to random, non partial boat owners....from...oh, how about the membership list on this forum.

LOL, great list, enjoyed the read.
Thanks,
Carl
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

John again fun list as Brew said a bit quirky. Also have trouble on your site with that format T1 windows at work, I phone or iPad, Mac at home and laptop. Not just this list but past articles in the format. Just figured I'd mention.

Some thing that surprised me.

No bass boats like 24 Crosby, 26 fortier or 29 dyer.

No willy flats boat

No pilot house like privateer, Parker or Steiger.

No sea skiff Chris craft, Bayhead etc

No down east 31 JC, 35 Duffy, wilbur, Ellis, BHM or holland 32

When I think rybovich or Merritt I also include whiticar in that conversation.

If I was to put a luhrs on the list it would have been the 32 tournament.

I am surprised at the 29 Phoenix and the Ocean. I would have certainly put the 33 egg harbor ahead of either of those.

No representation of the walk around express like 33 L&H or 35 scoponich.

What surprises me the most is henriques is not to be found on the list.

Not criticizing its just a fun debate, I hope this debate lasts a long time.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

You guys missed the big one! I agree with all of you on the missing Garlington,Haterass but what stands out to me is the Slampage. ( rampage) . Has to be one of the worst fishing boats ever made. Case in point the huge brokerage here on Long Island with give you minus 1300 for a trade in 500.00 for dumpster fee and the rest for removing petroleum ,engines.here on Long Island we cannot just tow it to the offshore reef and scuttle it multiple permits and paper work. When the 31 slam page comes in they normally weight around 17,000 lbs or so after soaking in all that water in the balsa core. Total idiot vote along with the ocean if he wants one come to oak dale Yacth and can take this piece of sh -t out of here .i drove to offshore grounds three years ago ,the boat was out of control in 3 to 4 ' seas I kiss the ground when I got home.what moron would put a ocean on the list compare to a downeasterner
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
John Brownlee

Post by John Brownlee »

It seems like the guys who voted were swayed by one of several criteria; either boats were worthy of mention because they had become famous through great accomplishments on the fishing grounds (Merritt, G&S, etc.), or they were included because they were an original design (Whaler Nauset, Aquasport 22, etc.) or they simply sold a ton of them (Oceans), OR, they were an influential and enduring design (31 Bertram).
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

John Brownlee wrote:It seems like the guys who voted were swayed by one of several criteria; either boats were worthy of mention because they had become famous through great accomplishments on the fishing grounds (Merritt, G&S, etc.), or they were included because they were an original design (Whaler Nauset, Aquasport 22, etc.) or they simply sold a ton of them (Oceans), OR, they were an influential and enduring design (31 Bertram).
John the alternate conclusion that they are all idiots and morons was much funnier.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Also noticed the newer tarpon boats like Gause, Shaeffer, didn't make it on the list

You could also make a strong argument to put a panga on the list or a carolina skiff
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

we came in 3rd, were going to have to try harder
1968 hull # 316 - 757
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I get the feeling that none of those guys have ever been north of the Carolinas.

And I agree on the Rampage thing, they were terrible boats. Simply based on the 'sold a ton of them' criteria, I would have listed my old Lowe 12' aluminum Jon boat pretty close to the top. Just a guess here, but I'm thinking that there are a lot more fresh water fisherman in this country then there are salt water fisherman.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I've created my own list of current in production boats, it's more of my fleet list I've slaved over before I realized I wasn't holding the winning lotto ticket.

East Cape Gladesman
Hells Bay Marquesa
Jones Brothers Cape Fisherman 20
Gause 26
Contender 23T
Sea Vee 32 Inboard
Henriques 42 Charter

And who wouldn't include the 130' Gamefisherman Explorer Mothership with a 46' Day Boat or various combinations of the above list for extended weekends.

If your gonna dream, dream big!
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

Phoenix 29, but no Bert 28?

No Bert 25?
John Brownlee

Post by John Brownlee »

Personally, I thought the 37 bertram should be on there, since I own one of course.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

another boat is the runaway dont think to many were made.
therse 2 in my area
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

John, I agree on the 37 Bertram, bit partial as well, my dad has a 87, NEVER let us down, not a rocket but very well built. Charlie Runaways make a great express..Too many boats, just not fair to all the great builders out there, Mann, Scarborough, Whiticar, Omie Tillett, Hines Farley, Brownell (northeast farmer turned boat builder), L&H, Knowles, Conch, Henriques, F&S, G&S, Resmondo(Alabama Battleship),Jim Smith, Tribute, Monterey, American Custom Marine, Rybovich, sales #s alone should not get you on the list...Slampage...Ha, Ha..knew a guy who ran one, 6' tall when he bought it 5'6" when he sold it ,along with bruised liver n kidneys. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Yea bob how can I forget Jim smith,Hines Farley ,a true work of art.how in Gods name to you put this in the same sentence as 34' luhr's 's " let ' s sea which way the bow will go as welcome down the back side of a a wave port or starboard or perhaps bury the bow." Like I said morons whom have spent there life in there cute Columbia sport ware chasing marlin in ideal water condition a modern day Marie antionette .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Guys we keep this up John will never come back.

I think we should storm the halls of SaltWater Sportsman.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

bob lico wrote:Like I said morons whom have spent there life in there cute Columbia sport ware chasing marlin in ideal water condition a modern day Marie antionette .
I want to quit my job and become a moron!
Buju

Post by Buju »

John Brownlee wrote: I didn't know you worked at IslaMarine. Tom has my Yellowfin bay boat there right now doing some work on it. They do awesome work there, and Ricky's SeaCraft is one sweet restoration for sure.
Thanks John, I'm proud of the work I did on it.
Yeah, I worked at Islamarine for 3 or 4 months, almost a year back now. Ended up not working out, partially because of things out of my control, and some things I could have done quicker... more efficiently, etc.
Either way, it was a great experience and I learned a lot, and I'm still good friends with Tom and Brian, I stop in regularly.
Now I'm back to painting big ol oceanfront estates, and the like... and rebuilding boats on an amateur level at my own pace... such is life.
Tell Tom that Mark says Hi next time you stop in....

Back to the list... Maverick Mirage. Hmmmmm.
Maverick was putting out their "Berg boat" (now known as the Master Angler) when Scott Deal got whupped in a tourney by Steve Huff in a newer Dolphin design based on a Banana River skiff. This Dolphin would go on to be the Dolphin Super SKiff, and Maverick emulated and imitated it very closely with their Mirage. So, therefore, I'd respectfully say the Dolphin Superskiff should reside in that spot. But I do understand that the Mirage went on to be wildly popular in the tech. skiff arena, but the Superskiff was no slouch either- and still is a great skiff today- If Dolphin could get their act together that is.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
John Brownlee

Post by John Brownlee »

bob lico wrote: morons whom have spent there life in there cute Columbia sport ware chasing marlin in ideal water condition a modern day Marie antionette .

Bob, you need to cut down on the caffeine.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

The Dolphin Super Skiff for sure. I have one. The 26 Mako did not make it?
John Brownlee

Post by John Brownlee »

The Dolphin was a great skiff, but the Maverick took shallow water fishing to a whole new, national level. Almost no one outside of South Florida and the Bahamas had ever heard of Dolphin, and that's still true, really. That's part of the problem with a list like this one, there are many great regional boats, but they have no recognition outside a small area. To be considered an all-time great boat, they really have to be known across a wide spectrum of fishermen. At least, we thought so. Remember, this is a totally subjective undertaking, pure opinion. One of the best boats I ever owned was a 28-foot Whitewater. Great boat, but very South Florida oriented. Norman Collins is a factory direct builder that most people have never heard of, but they build great boats.
John Brownlee

Post by John Brownlee »

Brewster Minton wrote:The 26 Mako did not make it?
I owned two different Mako 261s over the years, great boats.

Many different Makos were nominated, but in the end, we felt the 25 was more influential. It was the first big offshore center console from a major builder and was a game changer when it came out in 1975.
my other east

Post by my other east »

I owned two different Mako 261s over the years, great boats.

[ Many different Makos were nominated, but in the end, we felt the 25 was more influential. It was the first big offshore center console from a major builder and was a game changer when it came out in 1975.[/quote]

and the funaments made them even better.

eric vincent
Eric Vincent
1974 31 FBC hull # 315-1442
John Brownlee

Post by John Brownlee »

Eric,

Good to hear from you! It's been a long time. How've you been?

JB
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

I think John shows he is a very brave man when he posts a list of "The 50 Best Boats".. knowing that virtually no one in the boating community will ever agree even close to 100% with him. It is sort of like posting a list of the 50 best automobiles.. and including Dodge Vipers along with Yugos.

What I personally would like to see is the 50 (or maybe even 5-20) best flats boats, center consoles under 25', over 25'.. best sportfish under 35', over 35'.. best go fast boat.. best cruiser.. etc, etc, etc.

Every boat is a compromise, as is every marriage. We each have our personal expectations and requirements of them. I have owned half a dozen boats, but have been married to the same woman for 35 years. At least I get something right on occasion!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
my other east

Post by my other east »

John,

we're all doing good. my son and mom leave for TSL this friday, so i'm just trying to get everything together for them.

eric
Eric Vincent
1974 31 FBC hull # 315-1442
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

lets no forget the 38 special
1968 hull # 316 - 757
John Brownlee

Post by John Brownlee »

The 38 Special was a cool boat but ultimately a marketplace failure for Bertram, too expensive. I remember being at the 1986 Miami Boat Show and they were handing out fake bullets to commemorate the boat's debut. Imagine trying to do that these days.

Eric, I ran into Margot at TSL a few years ago. I was geting off the plane and she was geting on, but we got to visit briefly.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

yes john
not to many around
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

In many cases, boats are very regional. I had never heard of or seen a SeaVee until I spent time in Florida. Folks in Florida say they are great boats, still never been on one.
I had one of those 38 Special bullets, wish i could find it now.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
ed c.

Post by ed c. »

I see that my son's boat made the list, a 23.3 Formula with twin 130 inboards. I fished on it this past Sat., great sea boat and very efficient. He did a complete makeover.
John Brownlee

Post by John Brownlee »

The 23 Formula was a very influential boat. Nick Smith, the Palm Beach (now Pacific flyfishing) sailfish ace owned several of them a few years back and was meticulously restoring them to the point of blueprinting.
gplume

Post by gplume »

How about #4. Complete with "hood ornament". I'm partial to whalers....they can take a beating ( so do the passengers from the ride). Glad to see the sea craft 23 there...only boat I've ever been way offshore in ( by chance not by design).

With you guys on the 37 bert...lots of other classics missing.
Giff
John Brownlee

Post by John Brownlee »

There's an old joke about owners of the old Whalers:

"How do you recognize the Whaler owner in the shower? He's the one whose balls hang down to his knees."
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

I love the banter,you guys are truely passionate,what is the story behind the ''Rose Brothers'' boats,I am sure someome among you can fill me in?, are they good ? bad? ugley? some seem to sell quite cheap? are they just that ,cheap? or are they a well built ,all be it old boat with good bones????