single lever controls

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

BOBMX

single lever controls

Post by BOBMX »

I'm thinking of adding a helm pod to raise the height on the steering wheel. I'm also considering single lever controls to free up needed dash space for my electronics package but am a little apprehensive as I've always run dual lever controls . It doesn't seem natural to me turning backwards and running the controls behind the back when docking. Any opinions from guys that have them? Is it really as awkward as it looks?
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: single lever controls

Post by CaptPatrick »

Bob,

Having experienced only dual lever single action controls, your hesitancy is understandable. But that will pass quickly once you've operated single lever dual action controls and once you're more aquainted you'll wonder why you hadn't made the switch years ago... Facing aft when backing down is actually far more natural and less combersome than standing sideways or looking over your shoulder. Even with dual lever single action controls I face in the direction of the boat's travel. You'll love single lever controls.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

What Capt Pat said.

Single levers offer the greatest boat handling advantage in docking and fishing situations, that being said you will now need two hands to accelerate and decelerate so you may have to get put the coffee down.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

I installed dual single lever controls on "Phoenix" before I brought her to the boatyard two years ago, so I haven't used them much, but the little I have used them I was very pleased with them, For the previous 15 or so years I ran a Grady 24 with dual outboards, which naturally had two single lever dual function controls.

My major reason for making the change was that I was so used to pushing a lever to go forward, and pushing it farther to go "forward faster" (and of course the reverse) I was afraid in a panic situation I might revert to my old ways. I kept thinking about being in reverse, say in a tight docking situation, and suddenly needing to accelerate forward that I would out of habit simply push the throttle lever forward without remembering to shift the other lever first from reverse to forward.. meaning I would accelerate in reverse.. not a happy situation, To me the dual function single lever is more intuitive.

I also wanted to revise my switch arrangement on the flybridge console, and have taken the empty shift lever base space to the port side of the wheel and used it as a base for my new switch panel.

If you are interested I have an almost new set of single lever dual function Teleflex Morse MT-3 controls that I plan on selling in the near future. Feel free to drop me an email if you might be interested in them.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
BOBMX

Post by BOBMX »

Sounds like it will be single levers after all your input, thanks! I've been talking to Rob Panish about his cables, controls and throttle balancers. They are mechanical but supposedly finger tip control.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Just remember you need both hands off the wheel to accelerate without turning.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

it would be great to look at the transom when backing down or into a slip
just cant do it in a bahia mar, have to look sideways
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Carl

Post by Carl »

My Express has the Morse single lever Dual purpose in one Pod...not as spiffy as the dual single lever dual purpose levers...but a whole lot easier. One hand does it all. Forward, reverse, spin, turn with motors, speed up or slow down. In fast tight maneuvers its one hand on controls and one on the wheel.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

What Carl said. I have the Morse controls also. Been using them since 1975.

The only issue I have is since my repower, and I was told that the ZF's have what I will call an indent, and the controls also have something similar. So when I engage them, I have to get over what I think of as that first hump, youu have to use a little effort. Then the once engaged, and you try and throttle forward you hit another spot that forces you to give it another little click. I was told that on the ZF linkage there is a high spot so you know when you go in gear and if I grind it off that willl correct the problem.

Have not tried that yet.

One other thing, just make sure when you need to move them from forward to reverse in a hurry, you hesitate in neutral to let the transmissions catch up, otherwise they go in hard.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
BOBMX

Post by BOBMX »

I like the Morse single lever but If I go through the trouble of adding the helm pod I want the bonus of the extra dash space the palm beach controls will give to make room for 2 Garmin 6208's.
bbtiller

Post by bbtiller »

Any recommendations as to manufacturers for single lever controls?

Can existing throttle/clutch cables be used?
BRUISER
BERG1552M76F-315
Bradley Tiller
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

BB...

As I said above I changed from single function two lever controls to the dual function single lever controls on my B33 FBC. The original setup had the two transmission shift levers to port and the throttle controls to stbd. The new setup has both new levers to stbd of the wheel. This meant that the cables originally going to the transmissions had to be moved to the stbd side.The stbd trans cable was long enough but the port one was not, so that one needed to be replaced with one about 18" longer as I recall.

Before running a new cable go to any good hardware store and buy a barrel nut threaded internally with the same threads as the sliding core.. these are really just a long nut.. about two inches long, with internal threads from one end to the other.. screw both the new and old cables together using this long nut.. then as you pull the old cable out the new one follows right behind it.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Catching up on some old posts, Any recommendations for side mount single lever controls for console bubble? I just checked with R.G. Rollin Co. ...holly cow $2400.00 was not expecting that
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Jimmy those handles are solid brass with triple chrome probaly 3 lbs for the lever ,extreme beef. the gear box under the pod is solid stainless gears and levers ,.made for extreme abuse.when you stand up and face aft you hands will naturally fall on the levers . Don't think ! When you push lever to aft you go in reverse push lever forward you go forward it is like talking to the boat! ( Do this) .I have sit down bridge I just touch inside of knees on wheel boat goes straight even with putting on plane in big waves.--------- what not to like!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Jimmy,

If you are using only a single station you can modify the morse 201???? Single lever control quite easily. This is what Glen from l&h has been doing with good success. Of course you'll need to source your favorite handle, I think Viking may sell the part separate from the rest of the boat.

Kobelts require some mods to fit the helm pod as well and cost a bit more but easily adapt for more than one station.

With the number of boats wrecked in the storm you may be able to find some parts locally. I am assuming mechanical controls since you mentioned the Rollins solo product.

I would imagine you are very familiar with the advantages already.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

I have ran a few bigger boats a 52' Buddy Gilligan a 55 Viking and a Ocean and im not a fan of the Ocean's electronic levers while backing down on White Marlin way to sensitive for me. JP I'll look into the Morse and the Sandy thing crossed my mind too thanks
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

I had Morse single lever dual function controls on Tailhook. Although I didn't have a helm pod, they were mounted to the port and starboard of the wheel. Incredibly easy to get used to and so simple to just turn around, face the stern and back my boat in -- and I had a terrible slip to get into -- but I don't get the comments about both hands are needed to accelerate and decelerate so you can't turn -- don't you guys use your knees like I learned to do? I had the high speed rudders, so unless I was doing above 17 knots, steering with knees wasn't possible. My new boat also has single lever controls, but they are connected to yamahas -- more details to come.

Tom
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Bob,
My 1961 express came with Morse single lever controls they are just to port of the instrument panel on the express bridge . All you need to do any type of docking is one hand. One engine in forward one in reverse and walk the boat sideways, I never use the wheel when docking. I find it easier than using pod style single lever controls mounted on either side of the wheel, but that's just my experience over 35 years of using them. The Supreme cables are the smoothest around, just make sure they are the right length, it's better to have them a little long than trying to fight a tight cable that's short . I am looking over my left shoulder while seated at the helm above the starboard engine box when running the boat.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

JP Dalik wrote:Jimmy,

If you are using only a single station you can modify the morse 201???? Single lever control quite easily. This is what Glen from l&h has been doing with good success. Of course you'll need to source your favorite handle, I think Viking may sell the part separate from the rest of the boat.

Kobelts require some mods to fit the helm pod as well and cost a bit more but easily adapt for more than one station.

With the number of boats wrecked in the storm you may be able to find some parts locally. I am assuming mechanical controls since you mentioned the Rollins solo product.

I would imagine you are very familiar with the advantages already.
I Googled Morse 201 but i'm not coming up with anything do you know anything else i can look up? is a side mount that is taken apart and modified?
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

JImmy,

I broke down a Morse MT3 control to use on Patrick Hancock's B31, inside of my console bubble. The two problems to overcome are devising a mounting system and lengthening the control arm shaft. The shell of the control isn't flat so you'll have to make a custom shim to fit between the shell and the inside of your bubble.

http://www.bertram31.com/hancock/img/br ... s/mt-3.gif

http://www.bertram31.com/hancock/img/br ... -parts.gif

Check ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teleflex-Morse- ... 640wt_1157" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Jimmy,

The one in Pats .pdf is what glen is modifying for the L&H helm pods. I think he keeps a few around for one off projects. Might be worth a phone call down there, beats reinventing the wheel.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

CaptPatrick wrote:JImmy,

I broke down a Morse MT3 control to use on Patrick Hancock's B31, inside of my console bubble. The two problems to overcome are devising a mounting system and lengthening the control arm shaft. The shell of the control isn't flat so you'll have to make a custom shim to fit between the shell and the inside of your bubble.

http://www.bertram31.com/hancock/img/br ... s/mt-3.gif

http://www.bertram31.com/hancock/img/br ... -parts.gif

Check ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teleflex-Morse- ... 640wt_1157" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I believe the boat has that morse control and i had thoughts of digging it out of my junk pile and trying to modify it, thank you as always your a great wealth of information! JP thats not a bad idea where is L&H
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

L & H BOATS, INC. 190 N. Oberlin Avenue. Lakewood, NJ 08701 Ph: 908-905-1000
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Glen at L&H can be reached at (772) 486-6430. I dealt with him for a complete pod controls steering and instrument bezel.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
scot

Post by scot »

I guess I'm odd man out, I like a dual lever control, but I do run single engine boats. There are times when you HAVE TO make a boat do things it doesn't want to do... like force an engine in gear above rated shift points (don't try this at home unless life is a stake)

BUT when the prop is bedded in the mud and a ship is coming down the ship channel, about to suck all the water out and then slam the boat with an 8ft wall of water, I'd rather have dual controls. I just don't like a control that takes some of the "control" away from me.

I like Kobelt units. Their dual station system with the small secondary cables is VERY slick. Chains and gears in the unit, very smooth and effortless, regardless of which station you are on.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

JP Dalik wrote:Glen at L&H can be reached at (772) 486-6430. I dealt with him for a complete pod controls steering and instrument bezel.
Just spoke to Glen, what a great guy gave me info and sending me a drawling....thank you guys!
matt ciarpella

Post by matt ciarpella »

Its funny to me that 7 years ago when I saw the help pod with split controls and did not have the money to "go all out". I did exactly what Captain Patrick is describing. I used a combination of a routed groove and shims to mount the units to the inside of pod.. had a friend mill extensions for the shafts. solid stock hollowed on one end and turned down on the other to accomodate the levers. ground down the splines on existing shafts and installed with set screw. Has worked well.

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad20 ... 1374182509" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
matt ciarpella

Post by matt ciarpella »

Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Walter K wrote:Just remember you need both hands off the wheel to accelerate without turning.
Back when I was still in uniform we had 4 engines with 4 single lever controls. One guy on the throttles and another guy on the wheel...
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Nice job Matt really looks good.my son read these post and ask " what the hell are they talking about? " I step back and had a second through on the subject ;duh! You obviously have to have hydraulic steering like hy- drive from Australia ,all stainless but most of all the wheel remains straight !!! You throttle up to go on plane and never touch the wheel boat goes straight all the time .i had guy hire me to pilot his brand new 37' Haterass renovation .we hook up with a giant thresher 12' tip of tail to mouth.the boat was absolutely terrible after hook up cockpit was a joke no room around the chair and transom but the duel lever controls were horrible ,twisting my neck to sea the port side of the edge of transom .fish was weaving back and forth and those rudders took a year and a day to respond. I got back to dock and kissed my Bertram shame on me. For taken those single levers for granted. 45' cabo that i pilot has single levers that have button to have both levers respond to port lever . When accelerating work perfect fighting giant bluefin close to boat. Never again!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt.bob lico
bero13010473