Turbos

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JH_B28

Turbos

Post by JH_B28 »

Ok, Took the turbos to my friend at the Yanmar dealer yesterday for a diagnostic..
As I suspected, the turbine housing is shot from corrosion. He gave two options:
1) change the old turbine housing for a new for about $900+labor.
2) buy new turbos. He offered me two new ones at $1,500 each.

I am considering the new turbos option. Yes it'll be $3k but i'll have brand new turbos that will last a lifetime with good engine maintenance. What do you guys think?? Am i getting ripped off? Or should i keep looking for other machine shops to rebuild??

Forgot to mention.. The turbos are for two 4lh-ste yannies. I believe some of the Faithful are running this setup.

Thanks in advance!

G-
Jorge E.
1973 Bertram 28'
Yanmar 4LH-STE's
In Memory Walter K

Re: Turbos

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I'm sure there will be advice from Yannie owners, but how old are the ones you have? Given reading several Yannie Turbo threads, it doesn't sound like longevity is one of their traits. If that is the case, new ones might not be a lifetime investment. Can you rebuild them yourself?
Harry Woods

Post by Harry Woods »

George,
I am running the same boat and motors. My port turbo seized at the beginning of the season. I was ready to change out the turbo cartridge. When we disassembled it, the housing had carbon and rust but the turbo was fully functional. Sent the housing out for soda blast, reassembled and changed out the elbow. You may want take it apart and see what you have before ordering anything. However, Dug had a similar problem and he may be able to shed some light on the cost of a complete turbo.
Harry
JH_B28

Post by JH_B28 »

Walter K wrote:I'm sure there will be advice from Yannie owners, but how old are the ones you have? Given reading several Yannie Turbo threads, it doesn't sound like longevity is one of their traits. If that is the case, new ones might not be a lifetime investment. Can you rebuild them yourself?
Walter,

I really dont know how old the turbos are. All i know is the engines have about 1400 hrs and that the problem was caused by lack of maintenance/use by the previous owner. Also a faulty exhaust system that is misting the turbos with saltwater.

I am replacing the complete exhaust system and replacing the elbows (mixers), which i believe is the source of the problem. Maybe by doing this i can extend the life of turbos.

As to rebuilding the turbos, i don't know if it's a do it yourself project. I understand that theres a lot of precision involved in the process, but if its just replacing the turbine housing, I have the tools & know-how to do it.
Harry Woods wrote:George,
I am running the same boat and motors. My port turbo seized at the beginning of the season. I was ready to change out the turbo cartridge. When we disassembled it, the housing had carbon and rust but the turbo was fully functional. Sent the housing out for soda blast, reassembled and changed out the elbow. You may want take it apart and see what you have before ordering anything. However, Dug had a similar problem and he may be able to shed some light on the cost of a complete turbo.
Harry
Hi harry,

I am going to pick up the turbos on monday to take them apart myself to check out how bad is the situation. I trust the dealers diagnostic but in the end, he's going to want to sell me new ones to make $.
From a visual inspection, i can say that the cartridge is ok. The impeller blades are good on both sides, so the turbos are fully functional as was in your case. After I removed a lot of carbon build-up, i saw the rust in the housing but i think its a little worse than what happened to you because the turbine blades are stuck against chunks of corroded housing. I hope I can just soda blast them and be done with it.
Hopefully I'll post back on monday with the good or bad news.

Thanks to all for your replies!

G-
Jorge E.
1973 Bertram 28'
Yanmar 4LH-STE's