Insurance buy back

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Al C
Standing Member

Insurance buy back

Post by Al C »

I had a 31 Bahia swept away by the storm that is now lying in a marsh and expect to be contacted by the insurance co. soon as to its fate. It was an older restoration w/ 250hp cummins diesels which ran very well but the interior was in need of updating and was to be this years winter project.
To me the boat "looks" like it can be saved. Its going to need a paint job for sure, the bow rail and pulpit were ripped off so glass work will be on the menu. From what I can see the bottom is beat up but no holes,one rudder looks bent and the strut pads delaminated but are not pushed through.
If the insurance co totals the boat I understand I will have an option to buy it back and with an agreed value policy will have 50k to work with. Is 50k enough to have this work done (a good man knows his limitations)if there are no major surprises? As with everyone here there is a sentimental attachment to the boat but don't want to get in too deep only to find out later I need to give it away.
AL
Brewster Minton

Re: Insurance buy back

Post by Brewster Minton »

Did it fill with saltwater?
Carl

Post by Carl »

Al,
Struts, Rudders and shafts I may be able to help you with, straightened a few already. Props I can suggest several places unless you have a place in mind.
Strut pads unless you redid them are a shortcoming on the boat and needed to be done anyway.

Big question around here...who's going to do the Glasswork? Couple of good hands around for mechanical...and Joe Sami is about the only descent glass man around these parts and he's normally booked up the wazzo under normal circumstances and charges accordingly. Lockwood?? ooch. Plus I think they are in the midst of their own troubles from Sandy. Powerboats over by 7A on the Turnpike played a great tune for a customer of mine... how great they will treat his boat and stay on budget...boat gets loaded onto truck, arrives, and the tune instantly changed to "oh that's gonna cost more"

Engines didn't ingest water,,,I hope...pickled??

Sorry, not feeling overly optimistic today...

Good luck, call if I can help.

Carl
Al C
Standing Member

Post by Al C »

The motors seem to be ok they still turnover with no problem I went down and winterized the cooling system just in case. The boat is still sitting upright, clean bilge, hatches in place and tied up to the dock with my other dock mates in the marsh so I really don't think it took any water.
I know what you mean about getting the work done and I have made some inquires but no call backs yet. I was hoping maybe Raybo I really like what I have seen of his work but I know I'm reaching. Hell if I can find a place to dock it next year I could fix the rudder and make the bottom right and run around with the scars for a while. I don't think there is any real rush I have just about written off next season.
buzzk

Post by buzzk »

Have you thought about shipping the boat south to Va. NC or SC where they don't have as much work and have the repairs done? Down here a lot of people don't have their boats worked on till spring. There's usually a lot of qualified people and small yards around here, that are out looking for work this time of year. I know of severval just in the Morehead City, NC area and I'm sure there are other people in other areas looking too. Shipping a 31 shouldn't cost all that much.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Don't forget Tom at Holtz. His yard in jersey is operating and knows a 31.
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

buzzk wrote:Have you thought about shipping the boat south to Va. NC or SC where they don't have as much work and have the repairs done? Down here a lot of people don't have their boats worked on till spring. There's usually a lot of qualified people and small yards around here, that are out looking for work this time of year. I know of severval just in the Morehead City, NC area and I'm sure there are other people in other areas looking too. Shipping a 31 shouldn't cost all that much.
You could haul it to Wilmington, NC to be with my 25 and Frank's 33....among friends. I can strongly recommend the shop that is working on my boat: http://www.johnsoncustomboats.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Beau Johnson is a honest guy that does fine work (trained under Paul Mann). He has been working a fire damaged Hatterass under the same sort of insurance $$ restrictions...and my zero budget project as well...very flexible when it comes to owner-participation. Check out the website photos.

Wintertime, especially between now and March is generally a slow time down there.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

Al,like Bruce said Holtz boat works.My boat is at his marina and was there during sandy. I along with 70 other boat had no damage.He is now in the process of making the boat sea wothy for transport to NC.I can't say enough good things about Tom, his tel# is 609-390-3052. TJO <tomoakesfishing@yahoo.com>

Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Al

Are you in NJ or NY. Remember some of the Marinas got hit hard. I would tell you to go over to Carvers in Point Pleasant but not sure how they made out. I had a good glass guy but he passed away at a young age and finding a good guy is tough.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Al C
Standing Member

Post by Al C »

Thank you for the suggestions I will contact any and all but with all the boats that were damaged I would think any decent shop in the NY/NJ area is going to have all the work they can handle for quite a while. I probably will have to go out of town if I want the boat back for next season and I don't even think I will have a place to keep the boat next year because there is not a marina in the area which was not totaled or at the least damaged severely so slips will be a real premium next year.
The real issue is how much will it cost for the repairs. If the boat is totaled will the 50k agreed value pay for a paint job, glass work and whatever running gear issues I have in addition to buying the boat back from the insurance co?
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Al,

I can't answer your questions about the cost but maybe you can get someone in for an estimate before the insurance company makes a decision?

But I think the better question would be do you want to continue to rebuild a B31, what is the insurance company going to want for you to buy the boat back from them and could you go out and buy another boat in better condition for the same money or similar condition for less money?

Was rebuilding the strut backing, Capt Pat's rudders and a paint job on the eventually list?

Good luck!

Pete
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Carl

Post by Carl »

Al,
Can't tell you what the cost will be to fix yours...for reference, if you saw the 32 Luhrs in our parking lot, "Keeping it Reel". That was my buddies boat.
Insurance adjuster figured between 40-60thousand to repair and paint his hull plus the Bow Rail. When Adjuster saw the interior doors didn't line up by 1/2" , adjuster told him to remove his personal belongings. Boat was not submerged...it was one of the ones that floated over to Port Regalle intact with dock, finger, neighbors boat, his neighbors boat, the guy behind etc etc... still tied up and plugged into the docks shore power box.

Heard conflicting reports as to whether Nichols will rebuilt...but at 15-20 million to rebuild with a year to year lease on the property...it seems very questionable unless parks department grants an extended lease. No idea whats going to happen...hoping my status moves up in Great Kills Yacht Club...could be my in.

Looks weird without the Ol Lighthouse in the Bay...
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Without an actual surveyed damage report anything could be a way off guess.

If your really interested in buy back, hire a surveyor to document any damage you cannot handle. From there we can give you accurate information.

Also depending on where you take it the per hr charge can make a difference.

Dont go by an insurance adjuster report. Most don't have a clue and due to heavy losses, good chance you'll get one that never stepped on a boat before. Never failed to happen down here after heavy storm damage.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Ac1977,
Even although I am surveyor I agree with Bruce I00%. One instance down here after hurricane Wilma, the yard call me and asked if I would look at a large Sea Ray that had been damaged,( a long time yard customer). The adjuster was there once and the insurance company would not total the boat, the yard workers told me he never even got out of his car, he did a drive by. The boat was bow out to the parking area and close between two other vessels. I walked down the port side, noting some small cracks at the hull deck joint, I got about 6' front the transom the entire aft cabin was hanging out of the hull and 95% of the transom was missing above the water line, the entire cabin top and arch were cracked and separated from the hull along with alot of other things including an area of the bottom that only had 1 layer of glass left for about a 18" section completely through the outter skin, balsa core and just one layer of inner skin was all that kept her from sinking. Needless to say a few pictures I took and submitted to the insured's company claim office resulted in a total on the vessel. This vessel was only 4 years old and was in great condition before the storm, just don't take the adjusters word for it, hire someone that knows what is going on and actually knows something about boat building and repairs.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

hey pete i had a adjuster, surveyor looking at my boat, his name was tom shaffer from florida.
do you know him, boat came out ok no water damage, encloser is gone, and need some glass work on the gunnel were another boats pulpit landed'.
running gear will be checked out but looks ok. tough hulls as we know , had 5 boats piled next to me
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Charlie,
I don't know him personally, but he has been a SAMS certified surveyor since 2004. He's from Indian Rocks Beach, Florida over on the West coast of Florida. Good luck with your repairs, I was looking at the youtube videos of the damage on Long Island and Jersey Coast you really got hit hard. I am still dealing with knee problems and can't get around very well.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

thanks pete,
yes we got hit hard, hope the knee feels better, still having trouble with mine, but nothing compared with what you have gone thru.
stay well
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Al C
Standing Member

Post by Al C »

Heard conflicting reports as to whether Nichols will rebuilt...but at 15-20 million to rebuild with a year to year lease on the property...it seems very questionable unless parks department grants an extended lease. No idea whats going to happen...hoping my status moves up in Great Kills Yacht Club...could be my in.
Carl, I called to see if they are accepting winter storage and the said yes so I guess they are at least considering staying in business. Could be a lot of openings in the yacht club maybe I should get my application in.
Without an actual surveyed damage report anything could be a way off guess.
Got a call yesterday saying they will be moving the boat to a yard in NJ soon so I should get more detailed info.
Was rebuilding the strut backing, Capt Pat's rudders and a paint job on the eventually list?
The boat had the bigger rudders when I bought her don't know if they were Capt Pats the boat had been restored before but was due for another so just about everything is on the table.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Al,
Winter storage is all they have for income right now...at least in this marina.
Problem comes in the Spring, when people want to put boats back in water and don't have slips available.

Hopefully they have good insurance and a desire to invest and rebuild.
Al C
Standing Member

Post by Al C »

Carl
I was down the boat today and the crane was there trying to pull it out but they got stuck in the mud. Now they are talking about putting in temporary road as there are boat further back that they can't reach.
On the brighter side the salvage guys say they are taking the boats back to Nichols because its too trouble taking them over the Outerbridge, also rumor has it Nichols expects to have 150 slips ready by June.
Fishin Tom
Location: Stuart, Florida and Holtz Boatworks, Southern New Jersey

Post by Fishin Tom »

Thanks for the vote of confidence regarding HOLTZ. We can take on a few more projects for this year as we have a highly qualified staff and plenty of room and heated work spaces for our projects. I am going to make a significant donation from any project generated from our Bertram site to Patrick for his efforts to promote and maintain this web site. Hopefully some of the faithful will give us the opportunity to put their boats back in Picture Perfect condition.
Check out our web site or ask any 31 owners. (http://www.holtzboatworks.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) We can provide you with any and all required services. Feel free to call me on my cell 772.485.4595.
Headed up to the battlegrounds today, inspecting a couple of bigger boats.
Tom Oakes
Al C
Standing Member

Post by Al C »

Tom
Will give you a call as soon as I get the boat back and deal with the insurance.
Thanks
Al
Jamie MacKenzie

Post by Jamie MacKenzie »

I can also vouch for Tom's work at Holtz. Tom, I'm glad you didn't get washed away. I was wondering how you fared.

My boat has now survived two hurricanes where the marinas were wrecked. I'm wondering if there will be slips next summer at Liberty Harbor Marina. They are talking about not reopening...
Carl

Post by Carl »

Al,
I hope your rumor about Nichols is true...even if I don't go back in next season.

Is your boat at Crooks Point? or went further?
Al C
Standing Member

Post by Al C »

Carl
Its in the park at Crescent Beach bottom of Glover Ave.
Al
Carl

Post by Carl »

Unbelieveable...
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Sorry about your boat. I believe you said you have diesels...however, if you or anyone needs or anyone needs shafts and props I am repowering and would be happy to donate them to anyone who needs due to Hurricane Sandy. I have two sets of 17x20 props, one set just got re tuned at Bobby Soles. They would work with original 427 or 454 setups which is what I had. Email me through the site as I don't always check here daily.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Looks like Insurance will total my dad's Blackfin. Buy back cost is $10,000. The question is- how much do you think engines and running gear will be? Then, Cummins or Yanmar? Remans or new? Or, should he just let her go and get a smaller boat?
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

That's a shame she was a beauty, is he bringing up the 31? What was the extent of the damage, based on your comments I guessing the motors were under water and landed on the running gear? Lot's of fiberglass damage?

I enjoyed looking at her every time I went out...
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

PeterPalmieri wrote:That's a shame she was a beauty, is he bringing up the 31? What was the extent of the damage, based on your comments I guessing the motors were under water and landed on the running gear? Lot's of fiberglass damage?

I enjoyed looking at her every time I went out...
Peter- The hull is essentially unscathed! The engines, Trannies, running gear and the motor boxes were inside Jim Ray's shop when the building went up in flames. By the way, I now have an unneeded spare Cat3208
sitting at work if anyone is in the market.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Were the engines and running gear burned badly? Might very well be usable again.I assume the boxes did not survive. Does not the Jim Ray's insurance cover your engine and running gear?. Look into the possibility that your homeowner's insurance might cover it as property away from home,
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Some people just want there boat repaired they don't want replacement . Oakdale Yacth had to hire old fiberglass team back .they have 135 boats to repair this winter @ 7 days a week.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473