Full Motor Beds

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Keith Poe

Full Motor Beds

Post by Keith Poe »

Sportsmen Conservation Sustainable Harvest Accountability Integrity with the spirit of a Warrior.
Brewster Minton

Re: Full Motor Beds

Post by Brewster Minton »

Looks great. I do not know, but should that wood be covered in f glass.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I would certainly think so.
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

Me too!
A/K/A El Gaupo
Joe E

Post by Joe E »

While I can appreciate the craftsman ship, I believe you over built them, your slightly underpowered as is and adding weight will only cost you knots. You could achieve the same effect of the center supports the aluminum angle. Joe
4 1/2 years to build, Slashed Sept 16, 2016. 212 hours already and counting.
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

This is the route that I went, Ipe laminated to the stringers with a mix of epoxy coloidial silca and high density filler.... Clamped them to the stringers, then slathered em up with more of the same epoxy mix and capped them with a welded "u-channel" of 3/8 6061 aluminum and built the ramps according to engine alignment... Consider this as an option before you permanantly install what you have here.... Full and open access to the underside of the engines, can literally change an oil pan without having to pull the engine from the boat... I have 6bta's and this is overkill for me...

ImageImageImage
Last edited by Whaler1777 on Nov 7th, '12, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Also I would re-fab your raw water intakes... best route to take is a flanged seacock with a nice backing plate then through the hull...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

I weighed The new motor beds And the old motor beds and the blocks at each end.
The new motor beds are 30 pounds heavier but I'm sure that will reduce as they dry out.

I would love to rip the whole boat down the hull and start over but I have a lot of project coming up very soon.

I'm going to pull the blocks back out before I put them back in.
I do not have time to fiberglass them.
What would you suggest to bond to the stringer besides bolts and should I paint it and what kind of paint should I use.

Thank you for your help guys
Last edited by Keith Poe on Dec 17th, '12, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.
Sportsmen Conservation Sustainable Harvest Accountability Integrity with the spirit of a Warrior.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Paint with epoxy. Tinted, if you like....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Keith Poe wrote:I do not have time to fiberglass them.
I think you are asking for trouble if you don't isolate that fir from the hull and seal everything. Bond a piece of cossa (glassed both sides), or an aluminum strip, or a built up fiberglass strip to the bottom sides before you epoxy the beds to the hull. As is, that set up looks like it will be full of rot in a couple of years. You'll need to tab the bed to the hull with a layer or two of biax anyway...i don't see a way to avoid some fiberglass work if you want this set up to last for any time. And it will be a big issue if you ever sell the boat.

For sealing the fir without glass, I would use System Three clear coat epoxy, 3 coats, more on end grain. I would skip the paint because I think you'll be replacing the whole setup is a few years.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

and unless im seeing things is there a split on the port side mount forward?
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

John, Nice job!!!Keith the factory cummins mounts will only give you grief...access is crucial down the road...custom mounts put the engine where YOU want it not, cummins..ask me how I know? Ive already had to make repairs and without modifications to the engine mounts, the water pump is a bitch to remove...took my pump out this week with no problems..when the pump shits the bed 100 miles out... that lil modification will make sure you get home..fir is the way to go, long straight grain and strong..still needs glass and tabbing..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
bbtiller

Post by bbtiller »

Hey whaler 77: Your engines are 6BT's, correct? That's what I have and I plan to construct similar beds. Thanks for the good pics.
BRUISER
BERG1552M76F-315
Bradley Tiller
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Yup, 6B's Stringer caps are 3/8" 6061, ramps are 1/2" 6061
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

Bob H. wrote:John, Nice job!!!Keith the factory cummins mounts will only give you grief...access is crucial down the road...custom mounts put the engine where YOU want it not, cummins..ask me how I know? Ive already had to make repairs and without modifications to the engine mounts, the water pump is a bitch to remove...took my pump out this week with no problems..when the pump shits the bed 100 miles out... that lil modification will make sure you get home..fir is the way to go, long straight grain and strong..still needs glass and tabbing..BH

Thank you Bob

I'm going to continue forging forward at this point and this summer i might cut the top beam off and install aluminum for better access.

I'll keep a sawzall with me in case i need to cut a portion of the beam off at sea for repairs and I'll look at the pump and posibbly nip some of the beam off now.

All the best.