Broken Outrigger

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Capt.Frank

Broken Outrigger

Post by Capt.Frank »

Need some help. After a real bumpy ride yesterday offshore broke an outrigger. Metal fatigue and old age 20 + year old lee's. Anyone know how to repair one, the brake was just after cable turnbuckel. I have been told you can't weld them, welding makes them brittle? My plan is to try to insert something inside the pipe and bolt or screw it together. Will start looking for some used outriggers this winter, but billfishing is going nuts right now. Will take piture and post tomorrow.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Joe E

Re: Broken Outrigger

Post by Joe E »

I have a pair with wish bones I will sell you cheap!!!!!! $150. Joe I can get them in the mail this weekend.
4 1/2 years to build, Slashed Sept 16, 2016. 212 hours already and counting.
Carl

Post by Carl »

You have the right idea.

Cut each end of the break back to where the diameter is not distorted from the break.

Make or have made an insert that will tap into the broken ends...you do not want a loose fit.

Insert should have a lead at each end to ease insertion (taper) and I would make the center of insert the same diameter as OD of rigger. Larger diameter will stop insert from going into one end more then it should.

The length of each pressed end, going into tube...I'd try for at least 1-1/2 times the diameter.

If you make Insert from Alum...I'd clean and lube mating surfaces, remove sharp inside corner with file then heat the outrigger slightly with a propane torch to expand and slide together. If you go with a SS insert I'd prefer that heat and expand method as well...but could be tapped in. Aluminum on aluminum can gawl up pretty badly especially if both are of the same grade and hardness...you want it to stay together....but want insert in the tube far enough to give adequate support.
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

Frank
What size lee I have One yes only one 22' double spreader Lee if anyone need one!

Frank glad the pump lead was a good one for you, your welcome glad to help.
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

If you have a good local welder and/or machine shop they can insert a sleeve. I know, had one done as a result of the same conditions. Walter
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Get someone with a lathe to true up the ends and make an insert with a 2 thou friction fit. You can have them turn a collar on the insert to take up any length you lost in the truing up. Heat ends of tubing and cool the insert in liquid Nitrogen or CO2. Add Locktite Red and fit together real quickly.

I am sure Harry Babb or Sim can add more to this idea (or tell you that it is a bad one). I defer to the experts.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

My plan is to try and unscrew the broken pice out and insert the the collar on the larger end and insert the outrigger and screw or bolt the collar back in to place.
What do you guys think?
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Frank, That should get you by till the end of the season. Ive got a pair of old Lees, your more than welcome to just send measurements, I also have another set from a 31 Scopinich that had very lil use, single spreader if interested I can dig them out for down the road...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

If you were closer I'd volunteer to fix it for you.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Rawleigh,
What did you have in mind? I could deliver just kidding, Hoping it will not be to hard. I work on it this week. Wifes 40th party this weekend is all I can do.

Bob, Mine are 2" x 22' originaly 24' but had to shorten then before one broke. Give me a call cell 252-256-1631 Frank
1976 FBC
3208 NA