Raw water pick up

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

spencer

Raw water pick up

Post by spencer »

I have read about recomedations on the strainer on the bottom of the boat for the raw water pick up for the engines, what is the advantage versus using an strainer in the engine compartment,
my mechanic is recommending the traditional strainers that you can see in the engine compartment, but to me it seems unecessary.

The boat will be kept in the water, also there is alot of silt in the canal were it will be kept.

Thanks

Spencer
Carl

Re: Raw water pick up

Post by Carl »

Really the only major advantage is you can see the water flowing into the engine.
I liked that idea for when I launched...quick EZ check for flow.

It can help that you can clean out sediment and small crap that gets past the thru hull intake...but won't do anything if you pull up a bag or good amount of seaweed that clogs the intake from the outside.

Downside to Hull Strainers is the small holes can clog easier and it takes a jump over the side or haul to clean.

For what it's worth , I pulled mine out when I redid the seacocls and ran crash pumps
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

sim
i have just had the strainers on the bottom on all my boats no problem, just check every other year that they dont get gloged with paint, if they do just drill them out
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

Craig, look at any new boat and they all use either sea chests or external strainers, ,the internals strainers take up a lot of room, and I always look for water existing the transom as to opening a hatch to see if I have water flow, the gasketing is just another reason to have a leak when opening the internal strainers, I have never had any overheating /impeller problems with either of my boats, I run weed lines constantly
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

What marlin says 100 percent! Just at the exhaust at transum you will see flow even at idle. What the hell you do for the gen don't you!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Understand internal strainers take up a lot of room, but if you delete them not really sure what you are doing with that space.

I also perfer the internal strainers, it is a routine with me, checking fluids, stuffing boxes, and strainers after every trip.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

That internal area is were the crash valves go and if you are in a colder zone that also were antifreeze goes into system (by way of crash valve ).
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
gplume

Post by gplume »

I also went with the external strainers when I replaced seacocks and installed crash valves...and have had no issues. I do jump over the side and check them periodically, but am in a high growth area.
I was a bit aprehensive...but have had 3 trouble free seasons. I take the screeens out as they are super fine (they will plug up if I use real bottom paint) and spray with that Interlux spray on bottom paint for out drives.
Giff
spencer

Post by spencer »

Thanks for the responses , I do not have any of the thru hull , external strainers , etc.
So I am getting a proposal for installing the motors, struts , fiberglass shaft logs, new rudder ports and am trying to get the clearest picture what I want and have it covered in the proposal,

I will have to add the crash pumps to the list, are the usually placed always in the same location?

Spencer
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

My two cents are that the crash pumps should have a hose that runs to the stern and one to the bow. They should be long so that you could move them to where the water is.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Brew that is the whole issue the raw water/crash pumps are in the area of the engines.bow and stern have no fatal faults,starter motor is the key. When salt water rises to battery plus on starter motor game is over . Just want enough time to get crew into life raft or if lucky plug hole or crack presumely in bow and keep boat going forward but off plane to keep that-area out of water.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
conchy joe

Post by conchy joe »

Hey Craig, I did away with the raw water strainers as Capt. Pat suggests. I only use the external strainers and that has worked for me. If you want my old ones I have them sitting my garage you can just get a service kit to replace the gaskets and so forth. I lives right around the corner. 
Troy & Daria

28 Bertram FBC, 3.9 Cummin BT's

Conchy Joe "ITS THE BOAT'S NAME, NOT MINE" -
Hypoluxo Point, FL
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Spencer,
Make sure when you buy the external raw water pick-ups you get the ones with the removable screen insets. I just did a survey on a boat that had pick-ups with lots of holes but you had to remove the entire bronze fitting if you needed to service (clean out holes of bottom paint build-up). I can see a potental problem with screw heads stripping out and holes elongating. Just a word of caution when buying externals.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
spencer

Post by spencer »

Troy, I will go with the external strainers, but thanks for the offer
Pete , will make sure they are removable thanks for the heads up.

Spencer
Buju

Post by Buju »

Hey Spencer, whats the WIlly Roberts lookin like these days? She all dressed up?
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

The Groco APHS series is hands down the best external strainer on the market...

The hinged drop down collector makes accessing the through hull fitting a breeze. The SS screen is bolted on with hex head bolts making it easy to remove without wallowing out screw heads. Both features are even easy to do from below water as long as the diver is careful not lose a hardware part.

Groco is probably the most expensive brand to buy, but in my opinion is worth every penny of added expense over the competition.

Be sure to over size the strainer for better performance and reduced maintenance and use Full Flow ball valves on the through hull fitting.

mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

So for an 1.5" thru-hull, would you use the model 3000?
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Mike,

What ever size Groco recomends for a particular size through hull fitting, bump up to the next larger strainer...
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

That would be the 3000.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
spencer

Post by spencer »

Buju

No she is in a cocoon state ready for power, waiting to find a good deal on an outboard
Picking up items for it , pop up cleats, lights , also thinking of a pod for the helm

I'll try to get some updated pics
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Here they are, about as cheap as you're going to find...

http://www.yachtsupplydepot.com/hardwar ... tml?page=5

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

What a post guys, the marina where Seachele lives has crappy water and the strainers clog in 10 days now in the summer. Decided to go with these strainers ordered them today from Lewis here in Stuart. Made my decision a no brainer. Also now my diver can do a thorough job. Using 1 1/4 intakes went with 2 inchers. Sound good?
Bill
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Sounds good, but the link above will save you $150
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Ha- makes me think of the time I took out a bunch of river shrimp out of my strainers.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Buju

Post by Buju »

spencer wrote:Buju

No she is in a cocoon state ready for power, waiting to find a good deal on an outboard
Picking up items for it , pop up cleats, lights , also thinking of a pod for the helm

I'll try to get some updated pics
Would love to see her. Helm pod would be ideal on that boat, really set it off nicely. You have new console made based on the old rotten one? Really glad you brought the old gal back to life....
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.