The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

Hello everyone

I live in so cal and recently drove to Tampa bay Florida and picked up a new trailer then picked up a 1977 B-31 in Louisiana and brought it home to Torrance Ca.

Widened the driveway cleaned the yard and cleaning the garage next to get ready to pull the decks out and redo them with 1/4" aluminum diamond plate to accommodate two stern davits for a shark sling and a heavy duty modified 130 class fighting chair.

Going to be a combo sport fisher work boat for conservation.

I have a 1970 24' skipjack for 18 years tagged and release over 4000 makos and threshers now catching breeder salmon sharks and working on refining swordfishing in so cal way off shore 100 plus.

i picked up the 31-B to be safer i can't take a crew and i'm going to be spot tagging severail species in the sling and usually stay out 3-5 days alone but will need to bring the researchers along they want to be part of the experience.

I already pulled the decks up and going to start building up heavy duty reinforcing gaining as much structural integrity as posibbly below deck for the diamond plate.

i have been building every trade in so cal for 35 years and do mechanic work and have rebuilt just about everything on my 24 skipjack and worked on 31-B before redoing the decks lot's of fun grinding love it lol.

I put the props in the shop wilmington propellers motors are about 500 hours http://www.cmdmarine.com/engines/commer ... -M130.html

Been looking at this gen set http://www.nextgenerationpower.com/5kwmarine.html

Most likely going to buy resin from http://www.revchem.com/

Going to buy two 12'x5' sheets of 1/4" diamond plate from max industries in Gardena Ca. about $1200.00

Planning on using the 2'x5' cut offs for the galley flooring.

I do not care about a pretty boat rather low maintenance and durability work boat on deck.

The davits will be from harbor freight tools with electric winches set in each corner of the stern with the sling used behind the transom.

i'm interested in learning from you gentlemen to reduce mistakes and maximise strength safety and economy.
Sportsmen Conservation Sustainable Harvest Accountability Integrity with the spirit of a Warrior.
Keith Poe

Re: New member

Post by Keith Poe »

Add a few more pictures of my first shark sling many years ago and the first breeder salmon shark in so cal average size is 7' 350# fighting chair yada yada
Sportsmen Conservation Sustainable Harvest Accountability Integrity with the spirit of a Warrior.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Welcome to the sandbox.

I've been using diamond plate for the galley floor for years. If you're looking for a way to add pulls, I use 3/8 X 2.5 carriage bolts.

http://www.bosunsupplies.com/products2.cfm?product=F-CB

Put 'em in a lathe and turn off the square bit under the head. Then just drill a hole in the plate, pass the bolt through, add a washer and a nylock nut. They rattle a bit under power..... but they won't break, you won't trip over them, and you can't hear them rattle from the bridge.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Keith, welcome aboard; you've come to the right place. I know you've forgotten more than I've ever known about boats and mechanics, but the location of the radar appears to be problematic as to radiation exposure to anyone on the bridge. Your work sounds very interesting , so keep us posted. You've certainly got a boat that will serve you well.
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Keith, Welcome to the sandbox....love the commercial look...all business..thats alot of tags youve put out...well done thats the only way were going to learn about those animals...BH
Last edited by Bob H. on Aug 17th, '12, 18:32, edited 1 time in total.
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Keith...

Welcome to one of the very best boat sites on the Internet. While I personally own a B33 FBC I have found a second home here.. you won't find a better bunch of guys and a better source of all around boating info than right here.

You have my admiration! Anybody who schleps a B31 cross country on their own trailer has to have big balls!

I hope you can post some info on what you are doing and why re: the sharks you mention. I assume you are working on a research project.. but for whom and what has your data shown so far.. etc, etc.

I look forward to reading your posts!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Welcome.

Maybe I'm wrong but at 130-150hp your a bit light on power...even in a stripped down boat.
True you'll sip fuel...but
You know your needs.

"Harbor Freight Davits and Winches"...just be sure what your getting. Sometimes better to pay a few bucks more now...

Keep the pictures coming...love to see your end results.
Its a bertram so I know it's gonna be nice...a a good platform for your needs.

Regards,
Carl
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Right. With those engines I would expect about 16 knot cruise.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

Gentlemen wow thank you for the warm welcome appreciated.

My bad on the motor link i just looked they are Cummings 4BTA3.9-M250

More later have to get to work.

Pictures are a very large salmon shark and a massive 19'-6" Thresher tagged and Released
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

wel-come on in !
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Welcome aboard Keith, glad to have you here.

You posted some quite interesting stuff......looking forward to more

I am right there with you on the trailer. After trying for 3 weeks to get someone to haul DeNada back to the water I finally gave up and purchased a trailer and hauled the ole girl myself.

Good luck

Harry Babb
hb
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

Harry Babb wrote:Welcome aboard Keith, glad to have you here.

You posted some quite interesting stuff......looking forward to more

I am right there with you on the trailer. After trying for 3 weeks to get someone to haul DeNada back to the water I finally gave up and purchased a trailer and hauled the ole girl myself.

Good luck

Harry Babb
Good Deal Harry i spent many hours in the swamp setting up the bunks on the 31-B oyster shell ramp and mosquitoes no gator wrestling though.

Here's a video of a 7' 350# salmon shark the first breeder ever in so cal sportfishing.
http://youtu.be/bpGvB4UflvA

Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

Going to pick up the props tomorrow.

Looking in to adding trim tabs anything i should know ?

just some pictures video

http://youtu.be/Zzp4qxdn_gE

Morning Wood

Post by Morning Wood »

Welcome Aboard
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

Morning Wood wrote:Welcome Aboard

Thank You!
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

mike ohlstein wrote:Right. With those engines I would expect about 16 knot cruise.

Mike what should i expect from the 500 hp ?

I sea trialed it before i bought it but one of the props was damaged slice in it and a piece missing from another fin causing a vibration.

Thank you
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

sim wrote:Welcome.

Maybe I'm wrong but at 130-150hp your a bit light on power...even in a stripped down boat.
True you'll sip fuel...but
You know your needs.

"Harbor Freight Davits and Winches"...just be sure what your getting. Sometimes better to pay a few bucks more now...

Keep the pictures coming...love to see your end results.
Its a bertram so I know it's gonna be nice...a a good platform for your needs.

Regards,
Carl

Thanks Carl the davits or crane will only be mounted for subduing fish and weighing them then put away they should be OK for occasional use or i would look in to a better piece of equipment for sure and still might.

here's my face book page if anyone is interested i'm interested in 31-B friends all day long.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/keith.poe2

Below are pictures of the crane and my old motor and my new motor installed in my 24' skipjack.
Bought it on e-bay 3500.00 with 200 hours from the great lakes 7.4 Mercruiser MPI.
I'm going to modify the 2, Cranes with an electric winch.

mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Keith Poe wrote:
Mike what should i expect from the 500 hp ?

I sea trialed it before i bought it but one of the props was damaged slice in it and a piece missing from another fin causing a vibration.

Thank you

23 or 24 cruise
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

mike ohlstein wrote:
23 or 24 cruise
Thank you Mike appreciated.

For those who asked about what i'm doing with the sharks.
First off the 31-B is a big part of what i am doing to be abble to go farther and take a crew my old boat was maxed with fuel tanks and gear no room for guest.
I'm just a recreational fishermen fortunate enough to be abble to assist in some pretty exciting work off shore(to me) with severail different researchers.
I can't discuss a lot of what is coming up but i can tell you it involves salmon sharks and juvenile whites for severail different projects including posibbly working on the speed of salmon sharks seems they are faster than a mako.
I keep the research low key to respect the researchers privacy.
I'll share what they allow me to when possible.

Here's some mumbo jumbo i tossed together last night for fishermen who i generally associate with in the information sharing process, i like thinking outside the box trying to figure out and lean something new keeps my marbles busy.

At what depth can Mako sharks usually start to be found in or how shallow do they most commonly come in before stopping being a deep water species ?

I will answer at the bottom of this post.

There are some exceptions they have come in to harbors like Redondo Beach King harbor but most likely as a result of the deep canyon just out side the harbor and a 400# mako 9' was captured in just 60' of water off Malibu preying on halibut.

Malibu is very close to a deep drop off and Santa Monica bay is protected from pursing harvesting other than a few permits for live bait only.

The two canyons create a lot of upwelling and provide a lot of nutrients for a healthy food web a great nursery for many pelagic species of shark to use as a nursery.

Two hundred feet is the answer.

When i leave to hunt locations like Redondo beach King Harbor headed off shore at night in less than a mile i can be bioluminescence hunting makos.

The upwelling from the canyon creates phytoplankton blooms and deep cool water rising that is perfect for bioluminescence hunting stealth lights out, i also use this method to target near shore species before day break like threshers and large schools of bait they are commonly associated with.

Threshers are primarily day feeders opposed to makos are primarily nocturnal feeders.

The bioluminescence hunting at speeds 5- 15-25-35-50 knots is a really fast way to hunt predators at night in surface waters with chlorophyll.

The prey sardines, anchovies, mackerel etc. will ball up and run from the boat as if the boat is a predator coming in.

i start doing large circles around them balling them up tight just like a predator at what ever speed is appropriate depending on school size.

If the bait ball does not go deep i know there are predators below keeping them up.

As i continue to circle the ball if there is a mako below it will charge the boat as if the boat is a bait ball and come with in a few feet of the hull just ahead of the white water for a few seconds at a very fast burst of speed then peel off unless i reduce speed it will usually stay with me.

Most i have seen give chase at once is 6, 3 on each side.

When i bioluminescence hunt i can tell what kind of prey is in the water by watching it and mackerel is the most productive but i have seen 53 makos in one night that did not so much want my live mackerel rather the sardines they were feeding on so i matched the hatch caught the sardines and it went wide open with a 200# 250# and 350# mako all tagged and released.

The most important part of locating predators like makos threshers juvenile whites that are around so cal is find the life including whales a great sign targeting species off shore near shore in deep water.

Near shore Common threshers in so cal are primarily day feeders hence their poor low light vision capabilities a great bite will shut off at sun down and as soon as the sun rises they will push the prey till the prey can not run any longer the circle them and pick them off one at a time for hours.

They do not leave the ball once they run it down and hold it prisoner why chumming usually does not work with them but works well with loaners like makos but juvenile makos usually are in a loose pack of the same sex and size.

When hunting threshers i will run the shore before sun rise and bioluminescence hunt the prey then come back to the largest concentration and drift over them slowly and just before sun rise if the threshers are in the area i will usually see them under the boat checking me out as they wait to start the charge then i follow them and the birds till they slow the prey then start trolling.

Late fall early winter in the morning is when to target threshers and then makos afternoon and at night unless targeting large mammal eating makos day can be better and salmon sharks at night all available at the same time of year possible in one trip.

Lots of things i have learned over the years thought i would share a little to see if there is interest i will share more from time to time.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

very interesting thanks for sharing.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

PeterPalmieri wrote:very interesting thanks for sharing.

Your welcome thanks for reading.
Joe E

Post by Joe E »

Welcome Keith, sounds like a fun project. Now I know where to rent a trailer from in so-cal to haul my boat back to the water. Haha. If you're ever interested in stopping by, I'm in Long Beach and my 31 project is just down the street. Joe
4 1/2 years to build, Slashed Sept 16, 2016. 212 hours already and counting.
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

Hello Joe I'll have to come by and check it out.

Last November i have about 10-K worth of tools stolen at the south shores launch ramp long beach.

I've hauled out a friends Bertram there before.

Keith
Joe E

Post by Joe E »

Never been to the south shore ramp. I try to stay away from that part of town, really only use Davies. 2.5miles from my house Joe
4 1/2 years to build, Slashed Sept 16, 2016. 212 hours already and counting.
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

Joe E wrote:Never been to the south shore ramp. I try to stay away from that part of town, really only use Davies. 2.5miles from my house Joe

Not going back there that's for sure unless i'm criminal hunting.

saw a cop roll through as i was loading up and talked to him he said happens at all the launch ramps all the time and lots of dead people last one was a guy in a van with a flat ready to launch acting suspicious so he went over to check him out and he ran across the freeway.

They searched the boat and van found his dead gay lover rolled up in plastic weighted for his last ride to Davie Jones Locker.
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Howdy Keith: Welcome to the bert board.. very interesting fellow .. I know from allcoast. BD & etc
Wayne
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

Ironman wrote:Howdy Keith: Welcome to the bert board.. very interesting fellow .. I know from allcoast. BD & etc
Wayne

Hello Wayne thank you

Did you see the guys from Texas came to Callie to show us how to catch Swordfish ?
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

I heard some guys dropped real deep off clemente .. & hooked a SEALION!!!@ They were amazed at how deep they go .. me too.