Uncle Vic Has Passed...

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

opunui

Post by opunui »

Lost for words..R.I.P Uncle Vic. My condolences to the Roy family.

Love always..

Bobby and Mignon
------------------------
1977 Bertram FBC 1688 M77L
capy

Post by capy »

Trey Dibrell wrote:Andre' and I spent Friday afternoon with Vic at his camp, and had dinner with him on Friday night. He kept his sense of humor until the end, but his long battle with cancer had taken it's toll and he was ready to move on. Little did we realize that in a few short hours he would.

Right now I'm sitting on the dock at Andre's camp looking across the canal at Vic's camp with his boat at the dock and remembering all the ways that Vic enriched my life and the good times we had.

Thanks Vic--I Love You!!!

Trey
Couldn't say anything better......you echoed my thoughts.

I hope they serve chumslick martinis in heaven and he's having one.
1961 Sportfish Hull# 5-35
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

If they aren't, he'll teach them.
Gert van Leest

Post by Gert van Leest »

rest in peace !!
Women are like boats ,the older they get , the more money and professional help they need to look beautiful.
JK

Post by JK »

UV was the stuff legends were made of. People from near and far knew of him and he was easy to find at any Bertram function or boat show, just look for the largest group of people and UV was in the center. UV was one of Ahab's favorite people for sure...

In true UV fashion even is obituary made me smile.

Victor Leander Roy III, a native and resident of Baton Rouge, Louisiana, died Saturday, May 26th, 2012 at his camp on the Tickfaw River after a four-year battle with cancer. He was 69 years old. Vic was a retired attorney having received his Juris Doctorate degree from Louisiana State University. He was the founder of the Uncle Vic International Invitational Billfish Tournament at Port Eads, Louisiana. The only rule for the Uncle Vic Invitational was that Uncle Vic was always the winner. He was one of the best Blue Marlin fishermen the Gulf of Mexico has ever seen.

This immediately came to mind when I heard of the passing of UV. It's a great little song titled "Lovely Cruise."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kof_hnu5JG4

Drink it up
This ones for you
It's been a lovely cruise
I'm sorry it's ended
It's sad but it's true
Honey it's been a lovely cruise

These moments were left with
May you always remember
These moments are shared by few
There's wind in our hair
And there's water in our shoes
Honey, it's been a lovely cruise

These moments we're left with
May you always remember
These moments are shared by few
And those harbor lights
Aw they're coming into view
We bid our farewell much too soon
So drink it up
This one's for you
Honey, it's been a lovely cruise
Yea baby, it's been a lovely cruise
Oh darlin' it's been a lovely cruise

UV will be missed but not forgotten!!

JK
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

This is a sad moment for all of us.

I was away for a few days and come back to find this.

Our hearts and prayers go out to Vics family. He will be missed. Wish I had a chance to meet him.

The old place just will not be the same.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
GaryG

Post by GaryG »

Uncle Vic's friends cannot easily be counted, he certainly touched a lot of people's lives. I for one fondly remember all the advice he gave, time spent fishing in Panama and a blurry week at the flop house with him.

--While I have not been a frequent poster in recent years, I do pop on once in a while; this news was quite a shock. He was a damn great guy.
chris pague

Post by chris pague »

AS sad as I am to hear of UV passing
there is little to add to this thread
What will be be missed is the ever present sassing
That will not be read or heard

UV
You are and will always be de MAN
RIP
Chris
I have found that life can be short. Hope I am not late?
gplume

Post by gplume »

Seems like they broke the mold on this guy......
Never met.....but we're old friends
Rest in peace.....but raise a ruckus while you are up there.
Giff
Mack

Post by Mack »

Been traveling all week and have only had limited access to the board so I am only now catching up. I am disappointed about the news but knew the day would arrive at some point given his recent health.

Honored to have known, fished, drank, and laughed with UV, right down to his "crooked banker" stories (I used to be a banker). He will certainly be missed - particularly his one of a kind quotes and recipes!
Mack
1973 B31 "MAKO"
Kiffa
Standing Member

Post by Kiffa »

Though I never met him personally, Uncle Vic has helped me out and given me great advice countless times over the years. With his help I made the decision to go with my Cummins, and it was always a please to read his posts. I wish had a chance to fish the UVI maybe ill get a chance to do the Memorial tournament. He was truly a great man and my condolences go out to his wife and the rest of his family. Tight lines Uncle Vic!
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

UV:

After a hell of a week, in your honor I raise my glass full of rum, coke and lime.

Peace be the journey! Salud!
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

My favorite UV quote:

"This is the best _______________ I have ever had".

Plug in one: beer, oysters, martini, breakfast, dinner, supper, coffee, fish, shrimp, ducks, sushi, crabs, and any other thing you can think of......
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

Two that I use all the time:

"The enemy of good is better"

and,

"There are more ways to skin a cat than feed it melted butter"
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Andre, Ricky
Hadn't thought of UV quotes when I started collecting recipes for a book. O.K. gang, what else did he say? There has to be more than these three.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Mikey, My favorite..."must be a yankeeeee thing", no offense taken...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

"Northern war of agression"
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Today, I received a blanket e-mail from Tropic Star Lodge. I e-mailed them back- Bonnie, who UV talked to all the time and told her about his death. She immediately e-mailed me back shocked and saddened and even told me of different things he told her when booking the TSL trip for all 23 (I think) of us in 2006, after Katrina and the years after. I think he went 4-6 times. She said TSL would mention his life and death in their newsletter.
Made me happy.
i put her in touch w/Capt Patrick for pictures she wanted and gave her the link to this site.

Actually it is: The War of Northern Aggression, Brew.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Sorry. AndreF
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Brew

I would not worry about getting that one wrong. At the end of the day the south lost. They just can't get over it. However, Old UV would never have let you live down the misquote.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

The best of all THUUUUD. At the Casablanca next to the flop house
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Howdy boating!!

Grosbeak power system

Clorox bottle Blubliner
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

It was the GPU, Rawleigh.

And those grosbeak taste about half way between a brown pelican and a bald eagle.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Panama is gonna be like the north pole for me....rains a lot down there, especially this time of year, so never gets above 90 (or below about 85, day or night for that matter) but that's why they have unlimited quantities of Panama brand beer....wonderful stuff, sorta like Heinekin light....and four bits a bottle at fancy places, two bits ar cantinas.

I'm closing the sale on my office building next month so cleaning out my old office. The law firm is moving to some expensive digs, glad its them and not me. Time for ole UV to cash out, pay my 15% and forget it. Getting a real good price too, all cash.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Well, when I was so sick in late 08 and last year I promised myself if I ever got well I'd take my son and son in law to TSL on my nickel and celebrate not going tits up......so here we go!

I'm back 120%....can't kill bad grass, Tom.

UV
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

I'm fine......my old computer crashed and got a new one over the weekend. the old one was about 9 years old and getting real slow as it filled up with junk....the new one is amazing, especially with photos.

The Bride is having two ladies' luncheons at the house tomorrow and next week so I've been the designated negro getting the place spruced up, and/or paying other negroes to do so. Now its raining so guess I'm finished with yard work. She's going with some girl friends to a play in New Orleans Friday so I'm going to the camp Thursday to work on some stuff, mainly my 95 foot dock across the back yard where AJ lives....the high water the past couple of years have loosened the dock boards so I'm re-shooting them with screw shank nails outta my big ass nail gun.....lotta nails to shoot, probably in the range of 3,000 so got plenty to do.

found the pix on the new computer of my reels that Tom Testa did - have you seen them?
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

I thought about using 5200 or some other adhesive but sooner or later I'm going to have to replace the decking and there would be no way to get the old stuff up if I used 5200....plus it needs to move around some as it heats and cools. This nailing should last the remaining life of the boards...I'm replacing 6 of them now and will probably flip several more over and use the "new" underside, an old coonass trick.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Well, the temps today are in the high 70s and its sunny, just got back from a big lunch with some fellow retirees, and fixin' to put my shorts & sandals on and take a long walk, then a nap......ahhhhhhhh...may skip the walk?

Vic
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

One of my law partners, Kyle Keegan, who I think you met, has been the terror of the La. Revenue Dept. for several years....they fear him. He hammered them on some bullshit tobacco tax deal and several others. If y'all need help I can put you in touch with him. The Dept. ain't populated with the brightest bulbs......

Yeah, enjoy being retired.

Got some freshly shucked oysters and getting ready to start my famous suate'......had some at a restaurant last night that was good, but not quite as good as mine.
scot

Post by scot »

Like many on the board I never had the pleasure of meeting Uncle Vic, but feel a huge loss at his passing.

He gave back to all of us MUCH more than he took. Rest in peace Vic, you will be missed.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0