Good bye faihful

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

Good bye faihful

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Many of you know I've bddn in hand to hanin hand to hand combat eith cancr fo year s now. I'ves thrown in he towedl and am now in a hospicd progtam to save my familly the misdry of fooling with it. I'll be around somed but not much.Love y'all/

Uncle Vic
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Vic I am shocked.

Never expected to get this news from you.

You and I became friends several years ago when you and Elaine came to Point Clear on vacation and invited Jo Ann and I to meet you guys for a drink at the Grand.

We have been personal friends ever since.

Its with a heavy heart that I type this back to you but you have to know that I have always enjoyed our visits at Drusillas.......I felt priviliged that you brought your family to our boat house for a visit.

You are certainly an asset to our sandbox have always brought wise advice as well as good "Coonass entertainment".

Its not good bye yet my friend.....speaking for myself and I am sure for the others in our sandbox.........we are here for ya.......any thing you may need or simply want.

Love right back to ya ole buddy......wish I could have met you long long ago.

Keep the faith

hb
hb
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Uncle Vic,

I know that you've been a valiant fighter and above all a true friend to all of us. I will hate to see you go. We will all hate to see you go...

But as you do, bear in mind that we all love you and will miss you greatly. Count yourself fortunate that you have the clarity of mind, and strength to wish us all a farewell. Farewells are tough, but we'll all be there someday and we can only hope that we can be as strong as you.

Farewell Faithful Vic and thank you for all that you've done for us here and behind the lines. You are an inspiration for us all. You are our friend and will always be in our hearts and minds.

Most sincerely,

Patrick
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Never met ya, wish I could have, now how exactly do ya make a roux....Bill
Bill
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I love you, Vic....
Last edited by mike ohlstein on May 21st, '12, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Vic-I'm not saying goodbye until one of us walks out the door. I've known you through the site for over ten years now, been a guest at your house on the Ticktaw, and have been lucky enough to have been invited to three of your UVI's at Port Eads and two of them at TSL. You have given me memories I cherish more than anyone will ever know. I don't know what they have told you that has bought you to this decision, but I also know what kind of man you are. I cannot say goodbye. Tell Elaine and your son to feel free to call on me for anything they or you may need. Walter
Peter

Post by Peter »

Although we never met to shake hands I feel as if I have gotten to know you as a friend through this board. To say that we will all miss your sage advice and keen sense of humor is an understatement.

I do however have faith, and in that faith I know that you are not leaving us, UV... you are just going on ahead. Save a few spots at the best table. We will all be along shortly.

But until then it isn't over yet, so don't give in. Enjoy every second you have been granted and live every one of them them well.

Peter
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Uncle Vic: I'm not embarrassed to say that my eyes are currently blurred with tears. You are a friend, mentor, sounding board, and shrink to us all. Dug and I just said goodbye to our friend Dave this past weekend. Odds are without you we never would have met him.

We've shared dinner both as brethren and as professionals. Even though you are much smarter, more experienced and well rounded you always made me feel my opinion was important.

I have some business to attend to in New Orleans in late June - would it be possible to visit.

The Professor is a man of few and well chosen words - I love you too!
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Uncle Vic,
I just showed your post to my bride, Pat. We love you. We had some good times at the Rendezvous, NYC and in this sand box.
We ask God to bless you and keep you and your bride Elaine.
I look forward when we can meet again.
Charlie Haws
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

UV thank you for letting me know someone so kind. Im very sad. I will always make ribs the way you taught me.
randall

Post by randall »

"if anyone here needs my help and doesn't ask for it.....i will take it as a personal affront".....vic roy

well...you were there for me vic....and like mike i'll readily admit i love you like a brother....er, maybe an uncle.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Uncle Vic, I am sad to read your post, but I view it as your way of reaching out with a hug to all your MANY friends in this sandbox. Thank you for all your words of wisdom on this board, and for hosting me at your fish camp, and for helping me buy the B-20 Sportsman, and for entertaining us at The Flophouse in FLL, and.....well, there's so much more that you have given to us. Thank you for being my friend. Hospice is a wonderful ministry of dedicated care-givers and I saw them first hand as they extended love and compassion to my father. I know and respect that different people pray in different ways, but I pray that my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, will greet you with a big hug and a hearty "well done my faithful servant"! I love you, and I am a better man for having known you. Yo fren, Tommy
spencer

Post by spencer »

Uncle Vic,
I never met you, although I did see your Bertram 31 liscense plate cover"best boat ever built" at TSL.
Was hoping to be in your tournament, although I know already who would win.
I always look forward to your posts and the humor and wisdom in them.

Thanks for all the responses in guiding my repower and answering all of my repeat questions , went with the 250 cummins

Spencer
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

UV

Say it aint so.

I started surfing this site as a lurker sometime back in 96. I remember seeing your posts back then.

Like Reggie Jackson, you are the straw that stirred the milk or should I say this sandbox. It just will not be the same without you. I know you kept this board together, by letting us all share in your stories. The discussions you started, the comments you made.

We are really going to miss you. Please make sure your family knows that we all here for all of you.

Like others, I always hoped to meet you and never got the chance.

Some how through this board we all have become friends. Drawn together for the love of a boat. That love made us all realize how much we all have in common with each other. Over the years, I have seen members who have never met each other in person reach out and open there homes to other members. Help them in any way possible. You my friend are of course one of the leaders of pack who helped pave that way.

Best of luck and may God be with you and your family. You will always be in our prayers.

Please try and stay in touch as long as you can. After all who else is going to stir this Sand Box.

We all love you Vic.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Uncle Vic,

Man am I sorry to hear this news from you. It hit me like a gut shot. Just a couple of months ago I was talking to you about the trip on your friends giant Trinity and catching em up.

I had an appreciation for the 31 Bertram prior to meting you, but after meeting you and getting to know you through the site and on the docks of Southeast Louisiana, I developed a true love for this boat. Your enthusiasm, energy, humor and love for this boat, this site and the people on it have been contagious to so many. I was infected with this love, and the only cure was to search far and wide until I found a 31 for myself. I finally found one 3 years ago and it changed my life and my family's life. I'll think of you when I see my kids smile on Decoy for many years to come. I have truly enjoyed talking to you about my boat and cannot begin to tell you how much I appreciate all of your help with it.

My prayers are with you and your family. Rest assured that your legacy (and your recipe's) will be carried on here for many years to come. One thing I can say for sure is that you had more life in your pinkie than most people have in their whole body and you lived more in a day than most live in a lifetime. This is quite a seed you planted, and it will continue to grow. I'm tipping a clear back now in your honor.

Rest Easy my Fren!

We all love you Uncle Vic!

John Ryan
New Orleans, La.
1978 31' Bertram Flybridge
DECOY
Last edited by jackryan on May 21st, '12, 22:45, edited 1 time in total.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

UV,
I am one of the many on this board that haven't been lucky enough to meet you face to face but I feel like I know you through your posts.

I started following this board in about 2000 and have benefitted from the wealth of boat information you have given so freely & also the laughs you provided with your southern wit.

When I was rebuilding my boat your advice was always helpful. From questions about the grounding system to the fact that a Texas boy like me wound up with Hebert Machine shafts from New Orleans in his boat, your presence has been felt. That and that fact that I now know it's always best to "burn at night"

Thank you Uncle Vic.

You & your family will be in my prayers.

Daniel
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

UV,

I will not say good bye to you, but I will say till we all meet again someday. Memories from since the first invitation to the UVI @ Port Eads where I met a amazing group of people and you. Memories I don't think any of us that experience those times will ever forget. All because of you my friend.

May God Bless you & be with you and your family through this time.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
lobsta1

Post by lobsta1 »

UV, You have always been a class act. Strike that; you have always been in a class of your own showing the way for the rest of us.

I don't post often, but I along with every one else will miss your wit & wisdom.
Rest Easy
Al
NITES OFF
1978 B33 FBC

Al
Matt Holcomb

Post by Matt Holcomb »

UV, I want you to know how much I appreciate what you did for me. Your hospitality was remarkable. I've never experienced anything like the UVI, except at a UVI. Food, drink, accommodations and fishing, all provided by you..a one of a kind deal. Oh what might of been had Katrina not taken Port
Eads. I had such a memorable time at those UVIs. I met not only you, but many other great friends including Garry, Mike, Randall, Tom, Ernest,Walter, the Judge, Andre, and a bunch of others. But you were the main guy.... It didnt happen without YOU. We all owe you for that.

TSL was a phenomenal experience as well. Thanks for " taking us there".

I will be forever in your debt.

Matt
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

Thank you Uncle Vic. Your spirit and generosity influenced me greatly. I'm thankful for the small part of you that I got to know through this site.

Thank you for the chance to say goodbye and to let you know how much you mean to me.
Don't lend a hand to raise a flag aboard a ship of fools!
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Uncle Vic:

Never met you or talked to you, but felt like I knew ya. Always loved your posts. I'll summarize from memory:

- Cummins Engines
- Good cookin'
- Spray CX on everything
- 13' Boston Whalers
- TSA
- Good fishin

Well done Counselor...

Mark
captbone

Post by captbone »

I am without words.

I never met you but grew to count on your insight, experience, and wisdom in the political forum.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Dug

Post by Dug »

UV,

First I am honored that you have chosen to say goodbye. You continue to amaze me.

Second, My appreciation and love for you, your bride Elaine, and your family, well it knows no bounds. You have always been trusting, generous, kind, humorous, and at times over the top. Its been real my friend.

I first met you in Lauderdale. I was there last month, and enjoyed telling the person I was with about how Thudd got his name. The flop house top floor suite was the site of many a tale. And the next day laughs aplenty at my misfortune. The Liquordale show was where I saw you most often, and it was always an adventure my friend.

And you came to Montauk, as well as Newport. Thank you. Thank you so much. You and your bride as I always loved that you called her really shined up the place in both cases. I appreciated it.

Your advice over the years, your knowledge, your willingness to share, and help a yankee, never failed. Ive known you since 2000, 12 short years. Its been an experience I will never forget.

Tom is right. It was a painful weekend saying goodbye to a dear friend this past weekend. I never got the chance to say goodbye to him. Thank you for that opportunity. It pains me deeply, and like Walter I will not truly say goodbye until the fat lady sings. But I hear what you are saying, and understand.

Vic, I too love ya, and hope you are comfortable. Your wit, stories, recipies, all have improved my life, and the lives of my family, and friends, as we have all benefited.

As I write this I am lying in bed, ready for sleep. I get it now... good night my friend. I'll cry when I have to.

Love you,

Dug
MikeD@Lightningshack

Post by MikeD@Lightningshack »

Vic,

I've been in this sandbox with you since 2000. You've rang up a couple thousand posts and I've surely read 75% or more.

I was not nearly as generous with my time and posts, but truly benefited from your contribution.

I knew I was in good company when I read the Hyena post! Even bought a bottle of Cx at one point.

Know we're all right behind you, but hope you find the time to read these posts before we meet again!

Catch em up' -> there,
and thanks again,
mike
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

Mr. Roy,

On this site I am only a part time poster, but also an often-times lurker... and I feel the need to tell you that I always thoroughly enjoy reading your thoughts. Through them I learned much, and also had come to feel that I knew you. I will dearly miss your wit and wisdom, which are both unmatched. Not knowing what else to say: I wish you weren't going, but if you must, then I wish you the best journey to that great fishin' camp in the sky. You can't kill bad grass!
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Vic, I dont know what to say... I wish you nothing but the best buddy... I will keep you in my prayers...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
chris_wilson

Goodbye Uncle Vic

Post by chris_wilson »

Dear Uncle Vic

It was 13 years ago and I was refitting “Apple Pie”, the only Bertram 31 in Southern Africa. On trawling the Internet looking for help in answering my questions I found you. Cap’n Pat found us on a boating board “in amongst howdy boaters and blubliners” and invited us to join him on Bertram31.com and the small group of B31 lovers moved boards and never looked back.

“Already a core group is starting to form, with new visitors showing up daily. Special thanks go to Vic Roy, Carlos Sucre, Sonny Morrill, Joe Amato, Adam Godfrey, & Chris Wilson for their bulletin board contributions during our first two weeks online. “ (…..Bertram31.com 1999)

You are a wonderful, generous man who bent over backwards for us all. I will cherish forever the great times we had at Port Eads. The 3 times that I was able to travel across the world to spend time with you were way too few. Thank you for your hospitality welcoming me into your home and your camp on the Tickfaw river.

From myself, Andrew and Steve (..The Africans). We love you and will miss you forever.

My best wishes to Elaine and your family.

Chris Wilson
Cape Town
South Africa
Al

Post by Al »

UV,

We haven't met, but your wit, wisdom, and willingness to serve others have always brought smiles. I look forward to finally meeting you someday. God speed and tight lines.

Al
Al
1970 31' FBC Hull No. 315-901
"Teppi"
John Swick

Post by John Swick »

Uncle Vic,

Thank you for sharing so much.
Your tales and anecdotes are legendary.
The wisdom and humour will continue to inspire.

Rest assured you've made a difference and I consider myself honoured by your acquantance.

Best wishes for you and your family in this trying time.

John Swick
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

uncle vic, you have been a inpseration to many of us on this board, as mike said, love you vic, hang tough and ill see you again someday
1968 hull # 316 - 757
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Thank you Uncle Vic for sharing your amazing life with us. I hope you and your family find peace and comfort in knowing how many lives you've touched.

With love Pete
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Meeting you in Venice and then spending a couple of weeks with you in Port Eades created stories that bring smiles to everyone who hears them. Your personal journey shared in this sandbox brought all of us closer together. Because of your honesty I found myself admitting things about myself that I never told anyone. Your recipes (that's receipts in the South) are in a special place in my Log Book, heart and happy stomach. Skippering Another Joy for you on the Gulf was a smile at every turn. "Synchronize, Mikey!" was a phrase at the same time exasperating and yet . . . "Get a new tach, Vic!" Sitting in the pavilion swatting mosquitoes, quaffing clears and being regaled with stories was the highlight.
There will never be another Uncle Vic. I will as I am now, shed tears and at the same time smile. Damn, I am glad you came into my life. Damn, I hate seeing you go from it, but as long as the Faithful gather in their favorite sandbox you will be there.

#1 helmsman for the Dream Team,
I love you,
Mikey
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
JGomber

Post by JGomber »

Thanks for the opprtunity to learn from you, UV.
Take with you the love of your family and and all those in this sandbox.
You will be missed.
Jerry, Triton II
offshore31

Post by offshore31 »

Vic

We've never met, but have spoken on the phone a few times and via email. Your advice has always been helpful, your words kind, wise, and humorous.

Best wishes to you and your family.
God bless
Joe
Joe A.
lurker (ex-b31r)
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

UV,

I am truly saddened by this news...... While I'm not playing with boats now, the lessons you taught me about life, when I was, are carried with me to this day...... You were and still are a navigational buoy in my life's journey......

Thudddddddd

(ps... the story of how the "handle" you gave me came about is often repeated when I meet new friends in the pursuit of the various activities I'm involved in..... I've even named my soon to be champion bird dog puppy Little thuddddddd)
Dug

Post by Dug »

UV, I've been thinking about my post, and reading the others.

I have one more thing to say.

We've lost a few of the faithful over the years. Sonny, and a number of others.

You my fren', you are going to leave a gaping hole here. You know that, and knowing you, you are chuckling about it, despite your physical challenges.

A gaping hole Vic...

Yo Fren',

Dug
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

UV

Truly a sad day in the sandbox.

It takes a brave man to fight and a braver man to know when to stop.

You have made the choice to begin your next journey with pride and dignity and on your own terms. We should all hope to be so fortunate when our time comes.

You are in my families thoughts and prayers. May you have fair winds and smooth seas for the rest of your time.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
BCBertie

Post by BCBertie »

Vic,

I've known you were fighting, and I hoped you were winning...

The sandbox will carry on, but it won't be the same. And every time it isn't, it will be because you aren't there, and we will remember...

how greatly our lives have been enriched by your passing through them.

John
John F.

Post by John F. »

UV-

Thanks for everything. Thanks for your company at the rendezvous. Thanks for meeting up for dinner and drinks in DC. Thanks for all the advice over the years on B31s, and sometimes, life in general. Thanks for making sure that the sandbox was, is, and will be a really special place. Thanks for helping me learn just how special Bertrams are, and that the B31 is truly the best boat every built. You've touched alot of lives, including mine. You will be missed--tremendously. Safe passage and tight lines.

John F.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
capy

Post by capy »

God Bless you UV, you are the heart an soul of the sandbox.

I like to think I was lucky enough to have three fathers, My Dad, My father In-law and you. I will miss you dearly. I feel bad about not hanging out in the sandbox....even more so now. I always thought we'd get one more time to fish and drink together........

So sorry to hear about you going into hospice care. My Father In-law did the same thing back a few years and he was very relieved after he made the decision. It was a much more dignified alternative, than hospitalization and a long painful treatment/battle.

Love,

Paul, Carol and not so little, Pete.

P.S. Always felt lucky that "Capy" was right next to "Another Joy" on the images page.
Last edited by capy on May 22nd, '12, 09:30, edited 1 time in total.
1961 Sportfish Hull# 5-35
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

UV,

We've never met, but I am both saddend and shocked at this news. For some reason I though you were winning the battle. I guess i got that impression from your always informative and sometimes humerous posts which I always looked forward to.

I can only say that I wish you and your family the very best and that I believe as Dug stated that you will "leave a gaping hole here"

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
Chiles

Post by Chiles »

Uncle Vic,

Two weeks ago, I got a new mower deck for my little diesel tractor. I sprayed the whole thing top and bottom with C/X Heavy Duty and was thinking how you would be proud to see that I am still practicing what I learned from your threads on this board. I still enjoy my clears (especially the chum slick martini's) and yes... I now know how to make a roux!

It was great to meet you in person when we were both in DC. I'm going to cherish the recipe's that you have shared along with all the very helpful advice. It was a pleasure getting to know you and my thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family as you navigate this course of your life.

Tight lines my friend,

-Chiles
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

I came here many moons ago having picked up a "fishing boat" that was for sale up the creek from me, not knowing the difference between a Bertram and a Bayliner...

Thank you for all your help and guidance and for being the "platinum spark plug" that is UV.
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

Dear Vic, I am sadden by the news. U are the spark plug of this site and have given me many, many moments. Some great advice and some hilarious.

The rendezvous at Montauk when there was a drinking contest and your team mates (Andre and I think the Judge) vs. the North American Drinking Team went to battle. Ya'll came in on Predator and started right in about 10 hundred hours. Mike O. swore that it wasn't water in your hands. I found out the next day that I lost and that the Yankees suffered greatly. You guys finished strong. I really don't know 'cause I was put to sleep early at 23 hundred hours.

Then when you mailed me the pressure gauge to check my gas tanks.

When you posted that Captain Patrick has a phone # that he call call in the middle of the night for anything.

How many times have you repaired my boat thru here?

The UV Invatational @ Port Eads . Man, that was a life changing experience. Never in a million yrs would I think going down the Mississippi on "AJ". Staying at the camp ... what a place.

The advice you gave over the phone to me when a watch merchant from Chicago stole $3000.00US. I got it all back. You never sent a bill. (Only kidding).
There are so many things you did and with such class. A classy guy!

Maureen and I will have you in our prayers. You are a wonderful brother. God bless you.
A/K/A El Gaupo
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Vic: I am stunned and saddened to hear this! I had no idea that your cancer had progressed this far. Somehow I always thought we would have another UVI together. I am without words. You have become like a family member to me over the years and were always here with advice and encouragement. You will forever live in my memory holding court in Port Eades with a sense of humor and rulemaking that had no peer.

God bless you and your family and if there is anything that we can do to help Elaine I hope she will feel free to call upon us. We would be honored to help.

We all love you.

Tight lines my Friend. Rawleigh
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

I cannot help thinking the words of another great orator like yourself "never in the annals of history have so few given so much to so many" and that is what you have done for our Bertram brothers. Incredible wisdom from a incredible man. All the best for. Your love ones I am sure they are proud of your accomplishments.-----your friend bob
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Never got to shake your hand, but I wish you all the best !!
You will be missed .....
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
kellysmall

Post by kellysmall »

Vic,
Your legacy will continue through all of us here. I'll never forget when I met you at UVII5, the last one we held at Port Eads prior to Katrina. As the caption on the shirts stated, "You live, you die, but did you ever fish the UVI?". I'm proud to say that, yes, I did, and I'm a better man for meeting you and all the others there. Carry on, and know that we'll see you again one day. As the Bible says, to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord. Make sure to share your cookbook with Him!

-Kelly
Carl

Post by Carl »

Uncle Vic,

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to say thank you!

I do not toss around the term friend, for me it has special meaning. I have and will continue to call you my friend. Much I have learned from you over the years in our little Sandbox, things you probably didn't mean to teach. How a bit of generosity can enrich the lives of so many, for that and so much more, I thank you!

You will be greatly missed.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

Carl
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I just spoke with Vic. Says his plan is to go to Tropic Star on the Mary P in August, to live another ten years, and to never sell AJ.

He seems glad to have made a difference in a few folks lives.......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315