For you ar guys out there

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Greg A.

For you ar guys out there

Post by Greg A. »

i am looking to buy an ar, and leanin towards the Stag model 8 piton gun. Any issues with Stag rifles that you've hear of? New from a shop, upgraded front rail, NJ legal, and a 2nd spare mag...Out the door $1,200.
captbone

Post by captbone »

Shop and buy a Preban colt from another state for similar price.

I would only buy a Stag if I was getting their left hand model.
Major

Post by Major »

I wouldnt go with a stag. Really what do you want out of the rifle? The AR can be built so many ways that that can dictate your options in some cases. Mine are all DI instead of gas piston so i cant comment on that other than why do you want the piston?

As for the $1,200 deal what kind of handguard did they put on it and what does it take to make a rifle NJ legal?

For the Model 9 after looking at it Im not sure i would like the diamond aperature or the front cage vs the round but i've never used one. The stock is the basic cheap CAR stock and there are better ones out now. If it were me on a 16" rifle I will always go for a Midlength handguard. There just isnt a downside to it but it has a few upsides. The m4 cut in the barrel is also a little unessisary and i think looks funny on a 16" vs 14.5". That up to you though. I have never had any issues with the DI gas system on my rifles and the claim of less fouling is a little misleading. Some does come from the gas tube but it also comes from the chamber. If i shoot mine suppressed my cases come out with carbon all over them. Take the suppressor off and they are pretty clean. So again I really dont see the point since the majority of fouling comes from the chamber.

So what do you want the rifle to do. That will be the most help to us.
Greg A.

Post by Greg A. »

In NJ you cannot even bring a pre ban gun into the state. If you own a pre-ban gun and still have it in NJ, it's illegal and you can be charged.

I am looking for an AR rifle to have in case of emergency, to shoot for fun, and basically mess around with. I don't plan on shooting in any competitions, and I don't have the extra cash to throw down $2k on some of the upper named guns.

I want a piston gun, as I shoot lefhanded, and having shot both di and piston guns, I like the piston as the gas and crud doesn't blow by my face/eyes. I do not want a left handed rifle, as if I ever decide to move from this rediculous state, the first thing after selling my house would be to sell the rifle and buy another without the NJ restrictions. A lefty rifle would limit my buyers.

I currently carry an HK 416 10.5" barrel at work, which is an AWESOME gun but VERY heavy, but I want something of my own. In NJ pickins are slim for personal ownership, and Stags seem the most available here.
captbone

Post by captbone »

Since your lefty go then the Stag is a good choice. They made a fine weapon. That stinks about the preban, here in NY we can own preban magazines and weapons and can import them.