Losing prime on 6bta

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Capt. Mac Creech

Losing prime on 6bta

Post by Capt. Mac Creech »

My port engine has been giving me problems losing the fuel in the secondary fuel filter mounted on the engine. Will run fine and when we try to start it next time it may run only a few seconds. I think its between the Racor and the engine filter because the filter will basicly be empty. Have changed the lift pump and seal at top of racor and also the fuel filter twice. Cannot find any leaks. Any ideas?
Thanks
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Mac - probably the Racor bowl - hairline crack or cracked where the petcock drain screws in the plastic bowl.....I had one bowl that was bad that did exactly what you describe and it drove me nuts...finally just changed the bowl & gaskets & it be'z fixed.....the Racor does also have a check valve ball in it, which if sticky, will cause the same symtoms.

UV
Capt. Mac Creech

Losing prime on 6bta

UV Will that drain the secondary filter? the racor is holding fuel
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Yes it will, assuming the Racor is lower than the secondary spin on. The check valve is supposed to keep the fuel from back flowing, but if its stuck open - or - there is a crack in the Racor bowl - even a seeping crack - it will drain the secondary down. Also remember that everything between the tank and the lift pump will be under a vacuum, then everything after the lift pump thru the secondary to the injector pump will be under slight positive pressure when running.

UV
Capt. Mac Creech

Losing prime on 6bta

Thanks Vic eill try, where is the check valve?
Mac
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

You're running off the fuel stored in the secondary filter. once it's consumed the engine stops. Before you go to the check valve, try two things to isolate your problem. First, have someone staring at the bowl when you turn the engine over. If you have a crack or leak that lets air in (breaks the vacuum), that person should see a fine stream of bubbles coming from it when you crank. I was going crazy with the same problem and it wasn't until my son stood there did we find the source of our problem. If that isn't it, AFTER you get it primed and restarted, right after you shut down, immediately close the valve feeding the Racor. if it's the check valve, the fuel CANT run back to the tank. Let it sit for however long you've left it before, then open the valve and turn her over. If it runs and doesn't stop, you've isolated your problem. Simplest solution-put a thread-on check valve before the shut off which will allow fuel to run in, but not back. If it does the same thing, your air leak is between your Racor and your engine and I would bet on the bowl.
Capt. Mac Creech

Losing prime on 6bta

Thanks Walter Will try
Mac