Attempting first start no fuel

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

conchy joe

Attempting first start no fuel

Post by conchy joe »

Ok, we are making progress. Attempt our first start today of the Cummins 4BT and I have encounter a problem.

I have the injector lines loose and when I crank the motor, no fuel at the injectors, however fuel just pours out of the fuel drain manifold (the injector return lines go to a T and one side goes back the injection pump and the other lines goes to a drain).

Something is obviously not right.

The injection pump is a Lucas CAV.

Hope someone knows the answer.
Troy & Daria

28 Bertram FBC, 3.9 Cummin BT's

Conchy Joe "ITS THE BOAT'S NAME, NOT MINE" -
Hypoluxo Point, FL
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

If the engines have sat or been apart, you'll have to manually bleed that CAV pump loosening the bleed nut.

The other is how the shut down solenoid is wired.

Check for voltage at the fuel valve on the rear body where the injector lines come off.
conchy joe

Post by conchy joe »

Thanks Bruce I had did those things but I double checked after your post. I guess its a trip to see Jack at Florida Injection my pump.
Troy & Daria

Hypoluxo Point, FL
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

did you check for fuel valve voltage with the ignition on and while cranking, or just on?
conchy joe

Post by conchy joe »

You know, just while on. I am at work, now, but this afternoon I will try, I did not even think about the voltage drop. I am using a smaller battery than I normally would use.

I'll keep the fingers crossed.
Troy & Daria

Hypoluxo Point, FL
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Good luck, I've been following your progress.

Two questions are you Joe or Troy and Daria? Also shouldn't it be gas to diesel conversion? I'm confused...
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
conchy joe

Post by conchy joe »

I caught the diesel to gas conversion mistake shortly after putting up and then wanted to see if anyone caught it, congrats.

Anyhow, my boat is the Conchy Joe. I used to get asked by the Bahamian locals if I was a conchy joe? A term for a white Bahamian. I'm not, but my wife wanted to name the boat that, so that where the member name comes from.

Our names are Daria and Troy, but I keep getting called Joe and correcting people would be pointless.

So that's the story.
Troy & Daria

Hypoluxo Point, FL
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

I've found that the Cummins Bs have to be bled of air in the proper sequence or they will never start, period.

First, turn off the fuel line valve at the tank; next take the top off the Racor and fill it slowly with clean diesel and leave the top off for now; now open the tiny hex head air bleed screw on the side of the boss where the engine spin-on fuel filter goes on; now pump the manual lever on the fuel lift pump - if you con't feel it pumping, bump the motor over with the starter to get the fuel lift pump follower off the hi spot of the cam; Keep pumpting until you get clean diesel out from under the tiny air bleed screw on the spin on filter boss. Now tighten up that tiny screew and top off the Racor with clean diesel and put the top back on nice and tight. Now crack at least 4 injector nuts at the injectors and crank the motor until clean diesel comes out from under the nuts. Tighten up the nuts, turn the fuel shut off valvle at the tank back on, and crank her up.

UV
conchy joe

Post by conchy joe »

Vicroy, thank you, but the problem is not in the bleeding. The engine is in my garage with a short fuel line to a can of diesel. The fuel is making it to the two bleeds on the injection pump without bubbles, however it does not make it out of the back of the injection pump, it simply pours out the drain tube.

I called Jack at Florida Diesel Injection, he told me to check two things, which I did, but said that it is common for the Lucas CAV pumps to have issues when they are not used for years. I am bringing it to him tomorrow AM after I check the fuel shut off selenoid while cranking as Bruce suggested. Jack said that he would open it up with me there to get an idea what going on.

Will keep everyone posted.
Troy & Daria

Hypoluxo Point, FL
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

They are one of the most hateful injection pumps made.
Very weak and will break if they see any water in the fuel.

Tell Jack I said hello.

If they have been sitting for some time, you might try removing the fuel valve to check for gum up and clean and reinstall before pulling pump.
conchy joe

Post by conchy joe »

Just got back from Florida Diesel Injection. Jack showed me the guts of my pump. The pistons are frozen and I need a couple of hard parts. I brought him the second pump to check it out also. Anyhow making progress
Troy & Daria

Hypoluxo Point, FL
conchy joe

Post by conchy joe »

An update, Jack called, he got the hard parts in and in the pump. The pump head is good, he said that the pump head is very expensive and would not know if it was good until it's on the test bench.

However, the advance mechanism is giving him fits, apparently one of the pumps had parts put into it from another pump to make it work. He's ordered the right stuff and hopefully this time next week. I will have my first start up.
Troy & Daria

Hypoluxo Point, FL
conchy joe

Post by conchy joe »

Update:

Picked up injector pump from Jack at Florida Diesel Injection this afternoon. Put it back in, bleed the system and it started first try. Woo Hoo!!!

One rebuilt one to go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-aSLZID ... ata_player
Troy & Daria

Hypoluxo Point, FL
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Congratulations! Nice when it works out right!
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Congrats Troy

Its quite a feeling of accomplishment when you hear the ole girl "Bust Off" for the first time.

Way to go

hb
hb