Federal Fisheries Permit

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory Walter K

Federal Fisheries Permit

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Need some advice. I have had a Federal Fisheries Permit since the day they came out. The permit is in the boat's name, so if I ever sell the boat, the new owner can renew it. I know, once you lose it, it's gone. I have never sold a fish with it and it comes with a fair amount of pain in the ass paperwork/logs, etc.
My 8th Captain's license renewal comes up next year and I don't think I want to go through the effort and expense to do it again, but if the Federal Fisheries Permit becomes an "added value" to my boat, I might. Any opinions? Thanks.
Joe E

Post by Joe E »

Is it transferable?
Joe
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

If you own the boat.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Years ago before you could apply online I needed to get a permit but didn't have my B31 registration numbers handy....so I bought the permit on my 13 foot Whaler and named it Another Joyful, put the net tonnage down as "under one", etc. Sailed right on thru. Think my permit is still in that name. Several Coasties have looked at it over the years but failed to detect the "slight discrepancy".....I figure you get at least one "gee officer.....".

More ways to skin a cat than feed it melted butter...Dumb ass regulations warrant flaunting at every opportunity. Like the idea that you need a license plate for a tiny boat trailer.....BS.....we have one "family boat trailer plate" that gets passed around as needed.

UV, a/k/a The Scofflaw
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

UV:

My 13 foot Boston Whaler also has a permit. You never know what you are going to catch, might as well be legal when you do!

Tom
captbone

Post by captbone »

Dont give up your USCG license. At least do this. Its cheap and easy and will allow you to reactivate your license when you are ready if you want later on.

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/continuity.asp
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

I let mine lapse a few years ago. The TWIC and zero tolerance for alcohol was the last straw for me. I was never on board with random drug test but since I didn't do drugs I didn't worry about it. Being held to a higher standard and the way law enforcement were hunting for revenue I figured I'd be better off calling myself retired capt Ed.

The few times I actually carried passengers for hire scared the hell out of me. Awesome responsibility and not to be taken lightly.
Don't lend a hand to raise a flag aboard a ship of fools!