Coonass go fast

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

clay

Coonass go fast

Post by clay »

Josh Johnson

Post by Josh Johnson »

I'm duly impressed and intrigued, but what on earth is that? I've never seen outboard motors like those. Looks pretty cool.
Josh
Carl

Post by Carl »

Well, it's nice and neat with 3 LH two blade props.

But really Clay, just one picture and no other information. I have a whole lotta questions that just need to be answered!!

Things that make you go hmmm.

Carl
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

air cooled engines with a more tradition lower unit design rather than the long tail surface running you see.

Amazing what some welding ability and and material and imagination can do.
RAWicklund

Post by RAWicklund »

Looks like a generic version of the Prodrive

http://www.prodriveoutboards.com/

Hot sellers for duck hunters and marsh rats in my area.... They have a choice between power trim and mechanical trim (worm drive).

It's replacing all the Go Devils... but twice the $$$$

Ray
clay

Post by clay »

Hey Guys these are 35 HP Gator Tails with modified spray plates, they are mounted on HYD jack plates with break free hinges, 12 inch props that can run dry or wet. If you are down in the swamp these are the ticket no ifs ands or buts or is it butts.

You won't never see three on the tree unless you are in Coonass heaven or in a 64 chev. COME ON 105 hp of aircooled swamp eatin tigers, these babies run in the air as good as the H2O.

Mount 10 or 12 on a B31 and you got yourself a "FishinMachineFoSho" Man I got to get back to Texas soon.

Smiles Clay
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Yeah, Ray, running a Go Devil is like arm-wrestling a 500 pound gorilla, be very careful or it will dislocate your shoulder, like 4WD in ruts. No reverse either. These are easy to turn and have reverse. The cat's meow in the marsh. Usually one to a boat tho.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
RAWicklund

Post by RAWicklund »

Andre, Roger that on the 500lb gorilla..... The only thing funner then watching people at the boat ramp on Memorial Day weekend is seeing someone operate a Go Devil for the 1st time...

We used to spend hours with a pipe wrench bending the hyrofoil just right so the prop wouldn't dig too deep or try to come out of the water.

Onetime we had a convoy of 2 go devils and 1 jon boat going out to the duck lease in heavy fog..... guy in the lead go devil ran aground and lifted the prop out of the water..... 2nd go devil runs into the ass of 1st go devil.... spinning prop got fowled in decoy bag inside #2 boat (thankfully)...... #3 boat comes piling in.... My dog still remembers and gives me ugly looks sometimes.

Ray
luis

No coments

Post by luis »

1969 Hull #313-897
Carl

Re: No coments

Post by Carl »

luis wrote:Image
Looks like they made this boat extra wide in the stern just to fit two extra OB per side. I am thinking there has to be a reason aside from subsidizing the fuel and OB companies.
STraenkle

Post by STraenkle »

They need all that power to carry around the fuel tank needed.

My big question is what does the throttle control look like? You would need to be an octopus to control all those engines.
Scott Traenkle
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

The pix with the 8 o/bs is old and bogus. My son, a pro fishing and hunting guide, has one of the 35 hp Gator Tails and let me tell ya', that son of a gun is a MAN......next best thing to an airboat without the noise. Me, him, and my SIL Chuck were duck hunting in a pond near Venice, La. when we looked up and all the water was gone out of the pond....hmmmmm, we needed to cross a 200 yard mud flat to get to "deep" (4 inch) water......run the Gator Tail forward for a while, then reverse, then stop and let whatever water you stirred up out of the mud fill up the hole you just made, then rev her up, drop in forward and the boat would jump about 6 feet out of the water hole....repeat, repeat.....beat waiting 12 hours for the tide to come in.

I had several of the long shaft Go-Devils ranging in hp from a little 5 (my favorite) up to a 24 (brutal) and the Gator Tail is way the best. I also had a small airboat with a VW engine that was real good for raking leaves out of my front yard and blowing them into my nieghbor's, but little else....not enough hp. I ran a buddy's with a 360 hp Lycoming aircraft engine and a Teflon bottom and it would go down the highway at 60, no problem.....but suck everying out of your pockets.

But like all the super duper go-anywhere stuff, when you get 'em stuck, you be'z stuck.......

UV
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

"But like all the super duper go-anywhere stuff, when you get 'em stuck, you be'z stuck....... "

No truer words have ever been spoken!!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
RAWicklund

Post by RAWicklund »

Always a bad feeling when you look out on the decoy spread and see them laying on their side.... hi and dry.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Snopes.com has a story on the 8 outboard boat. Supposedly true...

http://www.snopes.com/photos/boats/drugrunner.asp

That being said, I never saw it in person...

Dug
Peter

Post by Peter »

An interesting bit of adaptive engineering: making an outboard that doesn’t need water to run the prop in.

It brings to mind the story about Cornelius Vanderbilt (The Commodore) who was trying to open up a steamer line across Nicaragua to compete with the trans-Panama Rail Road for gold rush traffic to California…. The Panama Canal was still in the future and Panama was still part of Columbia…

Anyway he needed to prove the viability of his intended route for various political/business reasons and so he had to get a steamer across by going up a river, across a lake and so on. Along the way there were shallow rapids. Too shallow for the boat to float. So they stoked the side-wheeler until the boiler was about to bust and literally “walked” it across the shallows on the paddle wheels. The hired captain wouldn’t do it, (can you blame him?) so Cornelius took command and did it himself. At least that is how the story is told.

Later they blasted the rapids and made the route navigable without quite so much drama.

When all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail…. And when all you see are conventional screw-props and outboards maybe all you can see is to devise a way to run ‘em in soupy mud…. A situation where maybe a high tech side wheel set up would work as well or better…. Which in turn makes me think of the fellows in the snowy parts of the world that like to hydroplane their snow mobiles around melting waterways about this time of year….

It s all pretty ingenius and very cool.

Peter
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

That pic of the boat with "A Bunch" of outboards reminds me of a joke...

An Alabama farmer was talking to a Texas farmer one day.

The Texas farmer boasted to the Alabama farmer that he gets up in the morning, prepares a thermos of coffee then gets in his truck and drives around his entire farm......and it take nearly an entire day to do this.

The Alabama farmer replied......YUPPP! ! ! I had a truck like that once too! ! !

.................................................................................................

One of my buddies ownes a "Go Fast" boat with 4, 250 Mercs. We left one morning bright and early with all 4 motors screaming.....ran nearly 70 MPH across Mobile bay and out into the Gulf.

When Mr. "Go Fast" hit the Gulf Swells he started throttling back and finally we were running about 20 MPH. He looked at me and said "So what will that Bertram do in this water?

I told him it would run about the same speed but would be much more comfortable! ! !

We barely made it home on 1 motor and it was nearly midnight.......hence......may be the answer is "MO MOTORS"! ! !

I do like the coonass "Go Fast" version! ! ! !

hb
hb