30 hp Nissan is fixed

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

30 hp Nissan is fixed

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

For all y'all that pitched in to help me through the intermittent misfiring, it turned out to be a bad "power pack", i.e. the $290 electronic ignition module. Rather than blindly start changing expensive parts, I found a Nissan dealer not too far away and they had the right tools & meters to test properly. Runs better than new. 1988 motor on a 1962 13' Whaler.

Old is good.

UV
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Old IS Good!

Glad to hear she's up and running again!

Cam
63 - B25 "under construction"
73 - W13 "Wharf Rat", 1980 Johnson 35 because electric start is for girls!
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
In Memory of Vicroy

Cam, she's a "modern" version. Mine had the blue interior, since painted white, and years ago I ditched the old vinyl rub rail and installed the "new" two pc. one. I paid $600 for her new in 1962 with no motor. The 30 Nissan (probably the 5 th motor on her) was manual start and did fine for years.....but ole Uncle Vic ain't no spring chick no mo', and been cut on pretty good too so my right arm don't work 100%. So I investigated the factory electric start kit and they wanted an arm & two legs for it. Found an old gal in St. Pete who junks out motors and she sold me a cobbled together starter kit for 100 bucks - starter, solenoid, most of the harness, a rectifier to charge and some other parts. The manual start and elec. start models have some differences, mostly in the neutral interlock so it took a good bit of grinding and jury rigging, but sho' nuff it works.

Electic start is for REAL old people like me. Its pretty amazing how sharp that little boat will turn at speed tho, still a thrill.

UV
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Second best boat ever built.
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Mine was a tender on a 53 Hatteras. I have the davit bar in case I hit the those lottery numbers. The engine "functioned" when I bought it 3 years ago...no one had touched it for maintenance (or ran it much). I pulled the head, cleaned up the pistons, put in a new thermostat, cleaned up the carb, and installed a new water pump. This is a shot of my first ride - on the Potomac river running next to National Airport. Fun!

I love to run that little boat around the marshes in NC. I find that sweet spot around 5000 rpm and that old Johnson starts to sing! Weeeeeee!
1963 Bertram 25
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I have a 13 whaler I striped for redo.
I have it on good authority they ride like a sheet of plywood.
How do you guys like the ride?

I'm thinking of dumping and going with a Carolina skiff.
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Hmmmm...Bruce...those words smell like bait. I'm sticking with my whole wheat squares this morning.
1963 Bertram 25
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Bruce that is exactly what they did at oakdale yacht.they got rid off the 17'' whaler and use a Carolina skiff .sometimes use to ferry material across 4 mile bay that can really get bad in a hurry.they abused the hell out of that boat dragging pileings and other heavy stuff for dock building.carolina is a much better ride.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Tim has (or had) a Carolina Skiff. Maybe 15 or 16 feet. Took six beer drinkers and a small crane to move it.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I had an early (bought it new in the 60's) 16'7" Whaler and now have a 10 yr old (bought new) Carolina skiff. Both boats flew. The Whaler had a slight V in the center of the bow, while my Carolina Skiff is flat across the bow. You guys might be talking about a different model Carolina (newer hull design), but once you got into a chop, my Carolina would beat you to death. I use mine as a flats boat for fly fishing. I used the Whaler for everything. I found the Whaler a much better sea boat.
In Memory of Vicroy

Stick with the Whaler Bruce. The Carolinas tend to de-laminate if you beat them around. There are two in my camp neighborhood that have done that. And they have next to zero resale value.

The little Whaler rides just like an ironing board. The trick is to get the water out of the foam core. You can have hundred of pounds of water in them and never know it unless you weigh them. Mine had some cracks in the bottom near the stern from improper trailer adjustment and it sat out of the water for about 5 or 6 years before I refurbished it year before last so it was dry. I glassed up the cracks real good and weighed it and its pretty much down to its original factory weight. Makes a huge difference in the performance.

Fora good while it was my "river boat" that I used to go the 25 miles down the Miss. River from Venice, La. to Port Eads where I had a houseboat. Had an 18 Tohatsu on it. Me & my son would carry a 14 foot fiberglass square stern pirouge (like a canoe) across the gunnels near the bow loaded with a week's worth of hunting and fishing gear, ice, food, gas, etc and head down the river. We would both have to get up on the bow for the little 18 to finally get it on a plane. Had a 2 hp Yamaha for the pirouge - which is now on my blowboat. The aim was to go a week with your own gas since Buzzy did not sell gas in the winter at PE. Many fond memories of running down the Mississippi River in the fog dodging 900 foot ships and 10 foot supply boat wakes.

Original motor was a 40 Evinrude, next a 33 Evinrude, then a 55 Johnson (way too much motor), then the 18 Tohatsu, and finally the 30 Nissan 2 stroke. The Nissan is just right except like all loop charged twins it idles like crap.

Pretty much a lifetime boat like a B31.

UV
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

yes walter carolina change there hulls a while back . there ride is decent but again this is in river/bay.personally i feel the workmanship/ finish is better on the whaler.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

early 70s my friend had the 13.3 with a 50 on it, it flew, had to sit on the floor, you cant kill them, great boat
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Bruce,
I had a 1964 13'6'' with a 33 Evinrude, almost industructible, used for a tender for the 31 Bertram. The little whaler got caught between the 31 and some rocks one morning in 5' seas, I'm never seen a vessel compress almost 1/2 it's beam and spring right back with no damage. The trick like UV says is to keep the water out of the foam, in NE we had granite rocks behind the house, by the end of the season there were a lot of nicks and dings in the bottom and alot of excess water in the foam, I would dry it out all winter and redo the FRP on the bottom, after a while I painted over the BOS, and ended up with a TON WHALER logo at the stern. Did everything and more that I asked it, the ride is a chiropractors dream but it is still being used by my brother-in-law at his camp in Maine, got a 25 Honda on it now. Like the Energizer Bunny it keeps going.
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

"the ride is a chiropractors dream ." really good choice of words, i suffer from that stupidity every morning for abusing my spinal cord in boats.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
In Memory of Vicroy

Sometime in the 70s I was towing mine on the trailer behind my metal flake green Lincoln Mark IV down the newly opened Interstate 12 east of here doing a steady 95....when the winch rope broke and it launched a huge back flip about 50 fee in the air...came down on its side and bounced about 25 feet and ended up in the ditch. I swung arond and put the peices back on the trailer. The 40 hp Evinrude would fit in a 5 gallon bucket. The boat was split down the middle from the bow about half way back and on the port side from the gunnel to the bottom, plus a bunch of bashes & nickes. Took half inch rope and three Come-A-Longs and pulled it back into shape, then used fiberglass tape and epoxy to patch her up. New motor, some latex house paint she was good to go. I am a slow learner on the paint.

One of those boats, sort of like the B31, that makes you feel invencible at sea. I've had the Whaler in 6 foot seas and she was like a cork.

50 years old and good as a new one.

UV
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

another ray hunt design
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Bruce wrote:I'm thinking of dumping and going with a Carolina skiff.
LOL.......Carolina Skiff.....great boat.....incrediably stable and goes like hell with very little horse power......and will beat your gut out in the slightless chop......aaaasssssskkkkk me hhhooowwww I knknknow.

Chris has a 12 footer and I love it....but sure have to respect it. With a 25 Merc it corners like riding a Gazell being chased by a Tiger.

After coming across Weeks bay in a fair chop I had a "Brown Ring" around my neck.....and it was not a neck tie.

Every boat has its purpose.....ain't one size fits all.

One day I intend to add a 17' Whaler to my collection...(I don't think she will notice one more....do you??)

hb
hb
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Had the old style Carolina Skiff 21' for 15 years and she would beat the lard out of a biscuit; and she would slide like a skim board. But she was a great shallow water boat in calm water, and she was a tough workhorse. 8 years ago I found a 1976 fresh water BW Outrage 21 (the one with the round gunwales and the rub rail that goes down to the water line) and put a new Suzuki 140 HP 4-stroke on her and she runs like a champ and corners like a sports car. She's light as a cork, but her cathedral hull provides a decent ride in a chop. Some BW aficionados refer to the model as the "banana boat". She is perfect for messing around in the Cape Lookout shoals.