Battery Switch..poll the audience or phone a friend

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

Battery Switch..poll the audience or phone a friend

Post by Harry Babb »

The old battery switches that were removed from Denada are the Cole Hersee black switch.....On, One, Two and Off positions.

On the back it states that its rated for 175 amps continuous and 500 intermittent service.

Having repowered with Cummins I am asking you electrical savy guys if its a good idea to use these switches or not.

So whatcha tink???

hb
hb
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Harry,

Should not be a problem as I still have mine, but using one each for port & starboard side engine.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Harry,
The old Black Cole Hersey rotary battery switches are still working in my boat after 50 years, every 3 or 4 years I clean the backs of the terminals and shoot some CX into the guts. If it aint broke don't fix it, the old ones are much beefier than the new Perko's or even the newer Cole Hersey switches.
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Thanks for the reply and reassurance.

I am in the process of making up battery cables today.....so I shall proceed.

One thing, though, I was mistaken about the intermittent amperage.....I looked at it again this morning and it reads 325 Amps. The odd thing is that it further states that it can do this at 6, 12, 24 or 32 volts.....(unless I am mistaken) In everything else that I deal with when the voltage doubles the amperage is cut in half.....and vice-versa.

Thank for the help.....this is better than "Who wants to be a millionaire".....when you phone a friend.....several friends answer.

hb
hb
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

use them harry just clean them up . you will need three; port, starboard,house. they will only be used as on---- off . mount then under salon seat along with distribution breakers where they are out of harms way and accessible ----good for a thousand years!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Harry,

Basically its saying the switch can handle 325amps of either 6, 12, 24 or 36.

Current is current no matter the voltage.