front hatch replacement ?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

ken kennickell

front hatch replacement ?

Post by ken kennickell »

Anyone know of a good replacement hatch for the front like a bomar or something similar that will fit without major work ? thanks
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Ken-
I was considering a replacement as well. Instead I am going to rebuild the existing one. I found great ideas for adding glass etc in old posts.

http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.ph ... 94efd5c453
Possunt quia posse videntur
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Ken: I think the problem on replacing them is the arch in the B31 deck. You would probably need to make a fiberglass pad to install it on.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Ric

hatch

Post by Ric »

back in 96 when i had my boat trucked from cracker boy marina in riviera beach to my home in New hampshire,,I actually had the front hatch let go and blew off..The boat was loaded backwards on the trailer with the tower etc..well the hatch was not latched and the wind got it and it was gone,,,,
we made a mold,,,,,,and then splashed a hatch from the mold...I still have the mold,,,and the hatch was a dynamite fit.,.,,you would need someone to layup the hatch in the mold,,,someone who knows what they are doing,,,,,,and knows glass work.....,,,,,,,,,,,,Not sure if it is something you would be interested in .,.,..,.,pay the shipping and a donation to the site and i will get it out to you ....in the airport heading to florida,,and then costa rica till feb 29 and then back to boston.,.,.,.,could do something when i get back.....
Marlin

Hatch

Post by Marlin »

Bought a bowman from Lewis marine in Florida, pretty much plug and play
ken kennickell

Re: Hatch

Post by ken kennickell »

Marlin wrote:Bought a bowman from Lewis marine in Florida, pretty much plug and play
Do you know the model number ?
Marlin

Hatch,

Post by Marlin »

Will find that out tomorrow
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

I actually like the stock design. Its not flush like a newer boat but I feel it adds strength to the deck with the flange and it aids in keeping water out due to the flange being so high. I think all the hardware that is usually bolted to it is what takes away from it

those larger bomar hatches can be real pricey, once you get above something like 21-23" they jump way up in price for a nice hatch. I have the old style up in the loft with the heavy chrome/bronze frame over it would look nice on a older boat.