Old Concorde vs. Old Hatteras

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

micky

Old Concorde vs. Old Hatteras

Post by micky »

Guy's I need your opinion. My dad has a 1969 Concorde 35 that we (he) bought in 2007 for $7,000. It was just a bare hull with engines and a bathroom. Everything else had termites so we ripped it all off and started new. We did all the work ourselves. Including the purchase price, we have invested between $35k-$40k, The boat is perfect right now. The only downside is that it cruises at 9 knots.
Here's the thing. A person we know is selling a 1974 Hatteras 43 Double cabin. The boat does not have a generator or A/C (the boat uses 3 of them, 16,000 btu each) The boat seems like its in good condition. I know that part on the back deck and in the front where the windlass was is soft and it needs to be repaired. On mine I had to do the same on the front so I can do the work myself. The guy is asking $40,000 o.b.o for the Hatteras but in between the generator and the 3 A/C there are around $12,000. This boat has Detroit 6-71N.

My dad told me to offer the guy our boat on trade + $10,000. I think if we trade up it would be boat for boat. I'm giving him a perfect boat that's turn key and ready to go and he's giving me a boat that I have to put money into.

What do you guys think?? Thanks in advance
Last edited by micky on Jan 29th, '12, 23:56, edited 2 times in total.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

First question-why a 9 kt cruise?
micky

Post by micky »

Walter K wrote:First question-why a 9 kt cruise?
The boat originally had 454 engines 350hp each and the previous owner repowered it with 160hp perkins diesel engines. The boat weights 30,000 pounds.
Carl

Post by Carl »

How much fuel in the tank?

I'd offer a little more then that.

For the money your talking, I'd be looking for something more then fixing someones headache. Big downside is getting rid of your 9 knot boat...unless it just sips fuel to the point of leaving dock with a half tank and coming back at 3/4s.

Dad's friend picked up a, I think 41' Hatteras, mid 70's, for $5,000. Interior needed some work, motors were okay, but he pulled and installed a pair of Near New VulVas that he got at an outrageous price on and had a hell of a Boat.

I have seen some incredible deals on boats these past few years, turn key boats owners just need to walk away from, even at a big loss. Problem is, a deal is still only a deal if you can afford it.

My opinion for what its worth...

Carl
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

I owned a 40 foot Concorde FBC with 454s (which at the time I think was made by Owens?) that was without a doubt the worst glass boat ever built. Total garbage from stem to stern. Workmanship of 4 year olds. I traded some swamp property for it then sold it to some guys who allegedly used it to run dope and it was sunk by the Mexican Navy. Hope that's true & its not still floating.....on second thought, no way it could float that long....this was in the 70s.

So my view is you got next to nothing now, so any trade up is better. Way too much money for an old Hatt DC tho. There is a very nice 43 (maybe a 45?) Hatt FBC for sale here by an estate with new-ish super Cat motors, new 16 kw genset, tons of a/c and they can't give it away for 60K. For those of you around the Tickfaw here it was Graham Stone's boat, the "Splish Splash" that he kept up like new under cover in fresh water. The boat market is soft, and off-brand boats are worth a little less than nothing right now.

My advice (hey, you asked) is to set your sights a little higher and remember the money is in the iron.

UV
micky

Post by micky »

The interior of the Hatteras looks really good in the pics he sent me yesterday and the engines look really clean. I'm going to go look at the boat next weekend and see it for myself before making a decision.
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Go Hatteras
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Micky:

What the heck are you talking about?! Just buy a darn 31, that's what you have to do. Buy the Hull (and you know there are some good deals out there). I'll trade you time at your dad's hard and use of his tools for my 454's once I get the Yannies and we will work the boats together.

Do you want a "disco" for a boat or you want a classic?
micky

Post by micky »

I'm still young. I want a "disco" boat. hahaha
Carl

Post by Carl »

micky wrote:I'm still young. I want a "disco" boat. hahaha

As they say..."whatever floats yer boat"

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

9 knot cruise....gotta be a great boat for slow trolling Stripers. If you leave one outta gear what will you cruise at? I can't see it being much different.
micky

Post by micky »

just in gear 4 knots
@ 1550 rpm I'm at 7 knots
@ 1950 rpm I'm at 9.6 knots

It doesn't matter if the boat is full of fuel, water, people, etc its always the same speeds.
Goober

Re: Old Concorde vs. Old Hatteras

Post by Goober »

[quote]To start with 671n motors are solid and bullet proof engines that have been used in dozens of applications.i have worked on countless pieces of machinery equiped with this app . They may leak a little but they will go and come.get rid of 9 knt barge. if putting gen & air in hat is all u need by all means go for it . but be sure ur arm is as long as ur pocket is deep BR Goob
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

A while back Oakdale yacth sold a 1976 ----43' Haterass with very low hour cummins 904 ,nice teak cockpit and covering boards excellent paint for $25,000.there was a soft spot around the deck by the windshield other then that she was nice.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Morning Wood

Post by Morning Wood »

Micky,

You still have your Shamrock?
micky

Post by micky »

Morning Wood, I sold the shamrock in 2010 and bought a 1996 Mako 19 with twin Yamaha 85's.

I also changed the Concorde for the Hatteras on April 2012. So far we've added the generator, bought 4 A/C units, have sealed a lot of leaks, repaired a transmission, one of the oil pans had a hole and we repaired that also, a lot of the A/C, D/C systems did not work and now its working, we added 2 holding tanks, we re-pitched the propellers to factory specs........

But its literally a floating condo.