Short article on ProBoat

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Major

Short article on ProBoat

Post by Major »

I was looking over this and thought some of you may find it interesting. It mentions Bertrams start out with the wood racing hull and making a mold of it for the 31. The article was on a transition from wood to fiberglass.

http://www.proboat.com/articles/134-wood-to-glass.html
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Sort of answers the Dyer question.
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

That 23 Dyer must have been quite the ride in the late 50's...heck id love one today...look at that V....BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

this was the article that sparked the discussion back in November http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Guy's,
I remember when I was a kid the Graves Yard in Marblehead was making day sailers called Barnegat's out of material they called Harbor Right, it was like Masonite impregnated with resin. They built them in the late 50's a lot of them were still around into the early 1990's.
A lot of plywood boats were built with coverings of FRP, lapstrake and FRP were a nightmare and a lot of projects were sent to the dump when the FRP didn't bond to the wood. I remember using "boat cloth" to cover 8' dinghys back in the early 60's. if it wasn't applied correctly you had a very thin outer skin with lot's of air bubbles and a full rubbish barrel.
FRP has come a long way since 1960, with so many types of material and resins it is truely amazing, but you still have to have the knowledge and skilled craftsmen to apply it.
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61