sea strainer question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bertram 20

sea strainer question

Post by bertram 20 »

this may be a stupid question why are the sea strainers on my 28 bertram mounted sideways and not straight up and down?i have worked on a few boats and i always see these straight up and down is just for draining purposes? before i bought this 86 i looked at a 75 and they were the same way thanks for the help mike
Preston Burrows

Post by Preston Burrows »

Your's mounted 'sideways' like mine?

Bertram rigged, for most direct plumbing and easiest sighting / strainer cleaning etc in the most immediate/available space.........you could map out and re-plumb/re-install upright however you'd see/realize why Bertram rigged so!

Best upgrade would be external strainers with no cans inside the hull unless you wanted their 'redundancy' and the ability to sight intake flow etc.
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
Carl

Post by Carl »

If it makes you feel any better, mine were mounted the same way ( and same style ) on my 31.

I removed and plumbed in Crash Pumps. Most important I changed out the Ol' Tapered Seacocks. Many told me they are better so I left them in each time I disassembled to clean, I'd get two or three seasons between rebuild. They would just hang up, so I'd have to loosen a tad and tap them to free the mechanism, then at the end of the season take out the innards so I could clean up the mating surfaces. But finally I decided it was better to put in an "inferior" style Seacock that worked all the time. If it gets funky I'll just replace.

I liked the strainers to sea the water flow...but I preferred the extra room in the bilge and can see water exiting the exhaust...provided I'm not loaded with Fuel.

To get back to your question....I really don't know about your boat, but on my 31, they would not fit mounted Vertically. They are mounted under the deck just behind the motor bulkhead. Maybe a foot between deck and hull.
Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

That looks exactly like my set up on the '77 28 FB. It seems to work just fine!

JD
Tom Curran

Re: sea strainer question

Post by Tom Curran »

Anyone know the make and model of these sideways strainers?
Its what I have on my B28
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Tom

Most of them were Perko's. But they are all the same, it is only the way they mounted them that make you think they are different from what you see in other boats.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tom Curran

Post by Tom Curran »

Thanks..the very top plate of the strainer looks a bit different
Than the usual