Express Cruiser Modification

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

Express Cruiser Modification

Post by Harry Babb »

About 2 months ago I was concerned with the instablilty of the "Wind Screen". I had added a Bimini Top that intensified the problem.

JP came down for a visit and we started reinforcing the glass work in that area.

The wood that held the aluminum pieces in place had rotted and the screws were not holding anything.

So one thing led to another and here are photos of the final product (less final paint)

So whatcha think???

hb
hb
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

The Harry and JP team. Looks like you guys do good work, looks plenty strong from here.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

So Harry, it's the structural components inside the lateral screens that had gone soft on you, not the base of the forward windshield? Looks like you and JP have got that problem licked! Keep up the good work.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Not quite done yet.

From here I intend to incorporate a rod holder underneath the gunwale that will be a Knee brace in disguise that will further support the weakness at the end of the wind screen.

Right now I am in the getter in the water mode.......

hb
hb
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Found a "Before" shot.

hb
hb
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Look quick and you will see what your Express should look like:

http://www.pancanal.com/eng/photo/camer ... Miraflores

UV
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Harry, Looks great, makes for a much cleaner and no doubt stronger support. With the knee under that point it should take the load down to the deck and stringers. Put a pair of Bertram guys together and you can "fix" anything..nice job Harry n JP...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Vic wrote:Look quick and you will see what your Express should look like:
Missed it Vic.....but I am assuming that you are refering to an Express with water beneath it................how close am I?

hb
hb
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Harry,
I just replaced the aft ends of the express bridge wings on my boat also. After 50 years the oak braces had turned to mush. Although I didn't do any fiber glass work, I made the aft support peices out of 2 peices of 1-1/2" starboard thru bolted together, dolphinite bedding compound and 1/4-20 x 3" machine screws. I also replaced all the plywood backing on the FRP bottom peice, with foam board epoxied to the back sides, all the horizonital wood cross bracing for the seat attachements was replaced with 1" starboard, with 3/8" FRP composite flat stock thru bolted to the front and back of the starboard. Starboard doesn't have very good weight bearing properties, hence the laminated FRP over it. I used 3/8" foam board for the upper side panels, the original side peices were Formica with 3/8" plywood that was also rotten. I now have both sides of the wings completely wood free and it will out last me and the next owner.

If you hadn't noticed the entire bridge wing and cabin top can be removed by un-bolting the side wings, cabin top at the bulkhead at the dash under the express windows and at the forward windsheild via the thru-bolted threaded rods. The entire unit will come off in one peice, if someone wanted to make a big center console out of an express cruiser. Also the main bulkhead in front of the engines has a joint under the Formica laminate just below where the engine boxes meet the bulkhead, same for the head forward bulkhead. Just a little info on the construction methods used by original Bertram factory on how a express cruiser is put together.

Pete
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Pete
The aft end of the "Bridge Wings" was weak on DeNada from the first day that I owned her.

I can see where the Bridge Wing is bolted to the deck with many screws and how it can be removed. With the glass work and the modivication that we made.....we bonded it all together.

Pretty much the Bridge Wing is sitting on a "Vertical Spacer" made of thin fiberglass and that was Rocking and Rolling a good bit.

The Gunwale is a bit flimsey also. When I finish with the knee braces the saging of the gunwale will be address also.....then I will be happy.

I was asked last week if I have missed DeNada since she has been on the hill for 4 years. I said NO!! I have played with her all along for the 4 years.....and I have......I really enjoy doing things like the Bridge Wing mod......that's part of the pleasures of boating....RIGHT????

hb
hb
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Dreamsicle is a "hardtop" express, the only one that seems to have survived, although I have heard rumors that others are around. Anyway the reason so few remain as hardtops is that the rear supports were flimsy and the top eventually racked from side to side and trashed the upper windshield frame. This was the case when I bought her. I took the top off, removed the windshield frame; had the breaks welded. Removed the entire cabin top (at that point only twelve rotten bolts held the whole thing together), painted that in one shop the hull in another; remarried them with the newly repaired windshields with new curved and side window frames. When I added Cabrera's engine boxes (which are about six inches taller than originals) I had to raise the hardtop even for my shortness. This was done with aluminum pipe and cross braced for structural integrity. Never found an issue with the rear corners and the oak was still good, so painted and reinstalled them. The result . . .
Love the shape of the hardtop. That Ray Hunt was da man!
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Mikey
I did not realize that the Hard Top was an original Bertram feature. I saw pictures of Dreamsicle before and always thought the top was a Custom top.

She sure is pretty! ! !

hb
hb
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Harry,
Thanks
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Mikey - pretty she sho' is....the top is a knockout. I had a 72 B25 hardtop with the same detail on the aft end of the hardtop.....slick as owl doo doo....art deco.

UV
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Mikey,
That black tubing really makes the boat "pop".
I saw one in lauderdale a few years back and it did not have the sexy factor that your boat has. Nice work.

Ever think about getting your cabin windows tinted? I think it would compliment the whole color scheme. Just sayin!
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

My friend Harry is being modest. Ii had very little to do with that project, and it certainly didnt look like that when I left. That looks nice Mr. Babb, its getting cold up home so Ill be down soon to grind or paint or fiberglass or wire....hell you name it, just spending some time with friends on boats is all you can ask.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

It's COLD down here too JP, but you come on down, I'll have some Cruzan keeping warm watching y'all grind away.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Thanks guys.
Kevin, the windows are tinted, probably should have gone a shade darker but was matching side and front windows (glass) with curved windows (plexi).

Vic,
Many thanks. Da Judge's '25 has the same top. When I first saw it at the second UVI I thought he stole it from a '31. Not so. Really makes them pop.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Mikey: my nephew has a business that can fix that for you. They have done a number of boats as well as cars.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Rawleigh,
These are factory tinted. The color is (I believe) Solex. It is a perfect match for one plexiglass color. Ain't adding no stick-on tint. S#*t don't last and looks like what it is.
But thanks, Pal.
Merry Christmas.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein