Tuna tube installation

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Diego

Tuna tube installation

Post by Diego »

Hey guys, anyone have a good idea and/or tips on what is the best and safest way to install tuna tubes to the transom of my boat?

Thanks,

D
Bertram 31- Panama
"Catalina"
DavidDW

Post by DavidDW »

I would use the biggest holesaw I could find and then a drum sander to adjust the hole size.

I am in the process of installing 2 x 8" tubes in my gunnel as my transom was too narrow.

In my case I made my tubes completely out of glass and will be glassing them into the boat (they will be flush with the gunnel on the top).

If I was going to bolt stainless tubes into the boat, I would be through bolting (assuming you have a flange on the top of the tubes) but making sure I pre-drilled and epoxy filled, then redrilled the holes prior to installation. Use 316 bolts and lock nuts. A backing plate shouldn't be neccessary, but, oversize washers are a must.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Tropic Star has it's Tuna Tubes as part of their live wells that are in their cockpits. I would not suggest cutting holes in the transom or anywhere else because the day will come when some sort of servicing will be needed and complete 360 degree access will be very desirable. My opinion.
DavidDW

Post by DavidDW »

Good point Walter - this was another reason why I prefered to stay away from the transom. I would give careful consideration as to serviceability when considering placement. The other option might be to make them semi permanent with an ability to remove down the track if needs be.

On larger boats, they can incorporate the tubes into the livebait tank - a good example below.

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-s ... R=11187071

If your livebait tank is mounted in a gunwale, you may be able to modify the tank to take tubes.
Carl

Post by Carl »

If it was only temporary.
I'd attach Ladder Clips to the outside of transom. Make up my Tuna Tubes with Mounting bracket incorporated into design. When I want tubes, just slip into place (making sure I had a positive locking pin to secure) connect plumbing and your good to go. Don't need, then remove and its back to a clean install. I like the idea of keeping water flow outside the boat too. If you had a swim platform, just rest in nest on platform, bungee and good to go.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Simplest way to go...

Todd Tuna Tubes (double)

In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Ditto Capt. Patrick on the Todds, and suction cups might even work with a safety tether. After many trips to TSL and seeing their live biat methods & custom tanks & tubes, I thought about making some to use here in the Gulf where live bait for billfish is almost unheard of. I have thought out a system to mount about 4 tubes in a large Igloo rolling ice chest - the whole she-bang could removed easily. Use the washdown pump (with a seoncd one as a backup with a simple ball value manifold to use either or both) and the overflow going out the scupper via a hose.....We have lots of perfect size bonito here and seeing how the TSL mates tether them on the cirlce hooks, and how the marlin eat 'em like candy makes me wonder why we don't use 'em here, and the answer is probably no one has tubes, just oval live wells to keep little hardtails that are fine for tuna but too little for marlin. An 18 - 24" bonito will die quick in a tank but last hours, if not all day in a tube.

What ya think?

UV
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

I know a tournament winning Hyena Boat on the Gulf with quick detactable tuna tubes. Run off a big Rule 1600 gph pump. Big tubes with bonita inserts, so they cover everything from 15 lb. blackfins down to little bonitas.

Then again, he is an early adopter that has carefully studied the ways of our Panamanian Brothers.
Diego

Post by Diego »

Hey thanks a lot guys! Very valid points. The Todds looks like a great option too.

Diego
Bertram 31- Panama
"Catalina"
Diego

Post by Diego »

Hey Capt. Pat,

With those Todds tubes, what would be the best way to stick it to the transom?
Bertram 31- Panama
"Catalina"
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Diego,

According to the instructions, you mount 4 studs with bolts and the tubes hang on them. The only thing showing with the tubes off is the nuts on the studs. I suspect the hardware is 1/4"x20, so pretty inconspicuous when not mounted...

Br,

Patrick
Diego

Post by Diego »

thanks!
Bertram 31- Panama
"Catalina"