Very small V-16

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

Very small V-16

Post by Harry Babb »

For all of us "Tinkerers" this will get you going......

Take a look

Ignition system???? What is it

http://www.wimp.com/tiniestengine/

hb
hb
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

AMAZING !!! I guess it deisel because not ignition.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Between This and Gert's brushed paint job, I have never felt so incapable in my life.
coolair

Post by coolair »

kinda sounded like a detroit to me. unbelieavble!
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I'm thinking it runs on compressed air.....hence the plastic hose.....but what's the little "Recip" pump on the front???

hb
hb
randall

Post by randall »

yikes!!!.........love it.
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

My Spanish is pretty bad, but I think the last frame said it took 1200 hours to build. Ouch. Beautiful.

JR
Josh Johnson

Post by Josh Johnson »

Damn.
Josh
Carl

Post by Carl »

jackryan wrote:My Spanish is pretty bad, but I think the last frame said it took 1200 hours to build. Ouch. Beautiful.

JR

So that little motor would be over 100 thousand dollars. Wonder if that includes the design time...cause that is not made on the fly.

I'm amazed at what some people can do...and will do.

One thing for sure, that man is a True Craftsman...with a mountain of patients. Hell I'd lose it after having to pick up the 1st screw with a pair of tweezers. I Do Not Get Along Well with Small Parts.

Cool Find Harry!
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Geeze, that is really somethin else. That is a ton of patience and non shaky hands is a prerequisite! Wow, that is cool. Is it running on a fuel?
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Basic principles are the same large or small scale.

No type of petroleum fuel source as there is no source for ignition for nitro fuel(model airplane), or enough compression to light off diesel. Besides there is no oiling system or bearings(did anyone notice) during assembly so doubt any type of ignition source which produces a pounding effect would be there.

The pump on the front according to the text is a coolant pump and a tank above it. Doubt theres any actual coolant in it.

My guess is he's a retired engine designer for a car company with a lathe and mill. Not hard to do when you know how to design, just takes time.

It is powered by compressed air as Harry mentioned.
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

TRANSLATION OF THE END:

261 PARTS AMOUNT

222 SCREWS

1220 LABOR HOURS

WOW!
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

To Bruce's point, could you imagine how small the spark plugs would need to be!
Regards,

Doug L.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bruce wrote:Basic principles are the same large or small scale.

My guess is he's a retired engine designer for a car company with a lathe and mill. Not hard to do when you know how to design, just takes time.
Bruce...I really have to disagree with you on the "Not Hard to Do".

While the parts may not have critical tolerances and fits, you still have a ton of machining processes that need to be held pretty close and look aesthetically pleasing. For example, A good deal of thought needs to go into machining those crank eccentrics on a lathe. Takes a pretty good amount of skill to produce as well...while the cuts are all simple enough you have a slew of them on fairly dainty journals with extended tooling...sets up lots of chatter scenarios.

Hell...just tapping that many small holes is a task in itself.

Each individual process may not be overly difficult, once you know how...but then lay one upon another and being able to stick with it from beginning to end...it becomes quite the challenge. Kind of like rebuilding a boat...not sure if any task is overly difficult, that is once you know how. But how many people can produce something of decent quality when done. Just my take...
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Time consuming yes, challenging yes.

My definition of hard as it would apply to that would be someone who never designed an engine and had no or minimal skills on machine tools tackling that task.

For a skilled person, its not hard. Just time consuming.

Now if he was a one legged one armed paper hanger, that would be hard.
Carl

Post by Carl »

When you know what your doing, most things are easy. Even for the one armed, one legged paper hanger...that is, soon as he realizes to ask for a hand.

Pun intended.
M. REY

Post by M. REY »

It came in the back of the local news paper today.
the guys name is Jose Manuel Hermo, a retired mechanic, you can watch it on youtube.
I use go surfing up there, heavy winters.
M.REY
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

A retired mechanic....what could a retired machinist make? Harry?
Id go cross eyed after building something so tiny...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Refering to the discussion between Carl and Bruce about "Difficult".....

I have a friend who is quite comfortable/wealthy. He has "Tools" and is dangerous with them. I am amazed everytime he uses a Screw driver and does not poke his eye out.

Along with being weathy he is quite judgmental.....always telling most of us what we should do.....right wrong or indifferent.

Now you have the picture.

I am a nut about having tool that will make my projects (work or personal) turn out to my satisfaction.

My buddy always makes fun and tells me that I don't have money because I waste to much money on tools that I don't need.

One day I happened to go by his house. He was wrestling some POS (Piece of $hit) boat trying to get it off of the trailer to clean and paint the bottom.

Soooo......I decided to have a little fun with him. After heckling him for a while I convinced him to leave the boat on the trailer and bring it to my shop.

There, I put a forklift on each end of the POS, lifted it off of the trailer and in minutes it was hanging free and clear of anything.

From there I gave him the water hose so that he could use his brush to scrub the bottom.

After making even more fun.....I rolled out the pressure washer and cleaned the half of the bottom in about an hour.

Once my side was clean I pulled up a 5 gallon bucket, sat down and asked him if he needed any help.......he accepted......then I told him that he could use my "non essential" pressure washer if he wanted to....

We still rag each other about tools all the time......but one thing that he now always says is "With the right equipment anything is easy"

My daughter gave me a framed quote by Thomas Edison last Christmas....It says "All you need to be an inventor, is a pile of junk and an imagination" I have to agree with Thomas.

Most of the time I see "IMAGINATION" as the biggest stumbling block which makes things seemingly difficult.

I am thru rambling now....

hb
hb
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Bob wrote:what could a retired machinist make? Harry?
Possibly a Bertram that floats????

Today is my birthday.....I took the day off and went to New Orlean to the International Work Boat Show.......right now my mind is running wild with things to do.

I was most fascinated with a video of the Elwood Crankshaft company forging 5000 pound crankshafts.....

hb
hb
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

hb
randall

Post by randall »

happy birthday harry!!

. i think the truth is its not THAT hard if you are a talented machinist with the time and inclination.....but ...there is a lot of creative thought also. this isnt a scale model.....its a very small working simulation. the rocker arms and valve springs are very impressive. i'm a big fan of biting of a huge chunk just because you can. this guy did.

one extreme to the other....those are some big cranks.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Amazing video harry!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Happy birthday, Harry. Get off your butt and get your boat running....I smell the UVI being back at Port Eads this June?

UV
Carl

Post by Carl »

A belated happy Birthday to you Harry!

Now that is closer to what I find fascinating! Gotta love watching those chips being Milled off the crank...Do it all day and I'm still amazed!

Many more happy ones to you!

Carl
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Oh my God Vic, is that a possibility?
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Walter, in a word, yes.....a possibility....but at the rate the Parish leaders are being indicted, who knows? The reconstruction is underway - the old concrete dock that flooded has been removed, a new dock is partially built last pix I saw.....they are building two large elevated buildings out on the pass by the lighthouse, got the concrete piling driven for them. It's gonna happen. When is the issue. And whether the feds will dredge out South Pass again. My son said he saw one of the big 120 foot Thunderhorse supply boats blasting full bore up South Pass the other day so guess there is some water if you know where to look.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

UV
randall

Post by randall »

what.....no wading to breakfast?
scot

Post by scot »

I want one. But I'm not sure why?
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0