1987 Bertram 28 fuel tank

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bertram 20

1987 Bertram 28 fuel tank

Post by bertram 20 »

Wanted to know if anyone has some info on this i am looking to buy 87 bertram 28 still has original tank .i have heard that from this year forward that there is no ethanol issues with the fuel tank,I still am not sure that i beleive this. I have 68 BAHIA MAR 20 and replaced that take as soon as i heard we would have ethanol in fuel i did not want to take any chances. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. thanks mike
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Mike: I have an '85 28FBC with the 240 gallon tank and have read just about everything on this subject I could find. The mythical "magic" year where the tanks are OK varies from the early '80's to never depending on the source. My solution, luckily has been to avoid ethanol and so far I've been able to here in Michigan. Not sure if this is an option for you. For what it's worth, my tank has a mfr. label on it giving the date it was made, capacity, etc and clearly states "Not for methanol fuels". This tells me that Bertram wasn't too confident about alcohol going into the tank. If the '87 tank has the sticker, I'd expect there is nothing different from the '85. I have original engines that run great with 1200 hours. If I still own the boat when it needs a repower, I'll probably change the tank. Good luck.