Need some spotlight advice

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

Need some spotlight advice

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Faithful - I have a Guest "Beamer" Model 291A wired remote control spotlight mounted on top of my half tower that's been up there for about 12 years or so. It's all plastic and the sun has pretty much turned it to dust - cracks, screws stripped, the reflector don't do no mo' reflecting, etc. It's been on the blink for a couple of years and yesterday I rigged a ladder, defied gravity, and managed to get if off. It is probably beyound repair and I see where the newer model is about 400 bucks, which I find a little on the extortionary side for a plastic pile of guano. Scanning catalogs I see various makes and models ranging in price from a couple hundred up. I don't use the boat at night much so I'm not looking for a top of the line deal.

Y'all got any suggestions?

UV
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

The plastic cased one's are going to be the least expensive and the trick to longer life of the case is paint. The UV inhibitors they put in the plastic are only good for a few seasons at best.

Strip it down and/or mask it out, sand the plastic with 320 grit, removing ALL shiney surfaces, and rattle can about 6 - 8 light coats. Of course, marine two part primers and top coats are the way to go if a high end finish is wanted...
In Memory of Vicroy

Thanks, Ole Fart, never thought of that. Might even be able to salvage the old one with some paint.

UV
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

UV...

I have always used handheld spotlights.. faster to use and way cheaper.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

IRGuy is right. I have had my handheld for 16 years. I can put the spot on anything in 1 second. I hard wired mine. Just my 2 cents.
In Memory of Vicroy

I just took the plastic Beamer apart here in the shop - all the little plastic tits where the screws hold stuff in it are busted and/or cracked. Flimsy is an understatement.....and they want $400 for one.

I have a battery powered (the kind with the lead/acid battery) hand held that works fine, guess the fix for this problem is it and get a Q-Beam with a cigar lighter plug since I have a lighter outlet in the electronics box......and will just abandon the Beamer....and been looking for a spot for another VHF antenna, one of those 6 DB Metz Super Sixes and now the Beamer's old home is it. And I always carry an O-Light T-10 da Judge gave me - 3&1/2" long, 1.9 oz and will shine like a small Q-Beam, amazing little light. Uses a C 123A three volt camera battery which are expensive, but I found a kit online that comes with a home & auto charger and four rechargable CR 123A batteries (light only uses one at a time) for $19 so that's the cat's meow.

Thanks Faithful, as usual a solution that makes sense.

UV
In Memory of Vicroy

And....my kinda solution. Defender Marine has a 3,000,000 DP hand held for $19.99....minimum order is 25 bucks so got two, and with shipping the whole damn problem is solved - actually solved twice - for under 50 bucks, including shipping.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... &id=610626

More ways to skin a cat than feed it melted butter......

And Andre' has a Metz he has never used I bet I can buy off him cheap...how 'bout it, Andre? Give you two bottles of Abuelo Panama rum for it....

UV
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

That's a deal, UV, we'll make the drop this week, huh?
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
In Memory of Vicroy

10-4, supposed to pick up the precious liquid today or tomorrow. I'll give you a shout shortly.

UV
In Memory of Vicroy

Got the 3 million CP spots today and they are BRIGHT...amazing for $19.99....and the curly cord with the lighter pug on the end unplugs from the bottom of the light and stows inside the light if you like. But mostly bright....I just spotted two coons in my nighbor's trees...first you make a roux....Thanks for steering me this direction vs. pissing away large bucks on plastic crap.

Decided to take another 9 day sabbatical to the camp starting tomorrow, see y'all a week from Sunday or so.

UV