Need help! Not boat related...well,...it could be.

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Hueso

Need help! Not boat related...well,...it could be.

Post by Hueso »

Bought a house two years ago and it came with an Olympian G15U1S propane generator (Isuzu 4 cyl. engine and sold by Caterpillar in Puerto Rico). During tropical storm Irene, I was left in the dark for three days as the generator will work for an hour or so and it will shut down. Changed the flywheel sensor and the problem persisted. After running a couple of more test, the ignition coil was getting hot as hell. Ignition coil was ordered Monday and still waiting.

First issue: Does the overheating of the ignition coil could shut down the generator? I have learned that in cars the engine will stall but not shutdown. Certainly, if the electric current cycle is stopped, then is obvious that it could shut down. But it will help if the Faithful will corroborate it.

Second issue: I cannot find the #$#*@^ manual anywhere. Not even at Caterpillar. Internet sites offering them look to fishy. Can anyone help with that?

Thanks in advance.

David "Hueso"
Last edited by Hueso on Sep 29th, '11, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Hueso, I got the following manual numbers from another site. You might have seen it as well. Recommendation was to contact a local cat dealer and have them order paper copies.

Technical O&M Manual: 277-949.
Alternator Installation and Maintenance Manual: 277-800
Viva la Presidente!
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Tom:

Thanks. I saw those at the Caterpillar blog. I'll go back to the Cat dealer with those numbers to ascertain if they have it and/or can help me get them.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Hueso
It is possible and probable that an over heating ignition coil will stop your engine.....but when it cools off it should start up once again.

Ever had an old outboard motor that would start and run like gang busters until it got hot....then start running bad until it quits......you can pulll on the dang thing until your arm falls off and it will not start until everything cools off.

Put new coils on and your back in the races.....

From what you have said, I would put my money on the coil or something in the ignition causing the coil to overheat.

Let us know what you find....got me curious

hb
hb
micky

Post by micky »

David, call me tomorrow 787-525-0832
captbone

Post by captbone »

Be sure to check all grounds. The coil overheating can a sign that it does not have a good path to discharge spark through. This can be the gap, the head, the plug wire. I would ohm everything out.
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Just to let you all know that it was the IGNITION COIL.

Changed it, and the power plant worked flawlesly after an eight hour test.
CaptainJamesRod

Re: Need help! Not boat related...well,...it could be.

Post by CaptainJamesRod »

Greetings. Just wondering if Hueso or someone else found a copy of the operations and maintenance manual of an Olympian G15U1S gas generator. I'm in urgently need of a copy. Thanks!!!