searing yellowfin

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnCranston

searing yellowfin

Post by JohnCranston »

I've had it a bunch of ways...about half the time overcooked, but what's the best way to sear it on a charcoal Weber grill, without over grilling it?
Many thanks.
John.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

assuming its about an inch thick, baste it with olive oil and slap it on the very hot grill & flame it for 15 seconds per side....I usually dribble a little olive oil on the fire to get the flames up before putting the fish on...I do this with all kinds of fish. On the other hand I prefer my tuna raw.

UV
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Sometimes I use Zesty Italian salad dressing
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

I like doing it with sesame seeds with sesame oil in a cast iron pan.
Get it good and hot 1 min or less more like 40 seconds per side if good and hot. I will put the pan right on the grill so I am outside I just found better result in the cast iron pan. Seared on the outside raw in the center wow now I know what I want for dinner.
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

mmmm good going to have some myself on sat
1968 hull # 316 - 757
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I prefer it like dan. Wouldn't use anything but an iron skillet. If it's a thick steak, more then 2 inches I may hold it on it's sides for 30 secs too.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

I melt a stick of butter, add the juice of one lemon and a couple of chopped chives, then I use a brush and slather it all over the tuna steak, sea salt and fresh cracked pepper. I drop it on the grill for 30 seconds per side one the coals are red hot.

Serve with ice cold beer and I am a happy boy.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

The key is that the grill or pan has to be HOT. If it's a grille, close the top and watch the thermometer. When the temperature levels off at a high point, drop the lubricated (melted butter, olive oil, vegetable or peanut oil, salad dressing...your choice) steaks on the fire. Close the grille, open in a minute or less and flip using a sharp spatula. Baste the top before flipping. Serve quickly as the flesh is still cooking from the intense heat it has been subjected to.
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Thanks everyone,
We're going to use all of the info mentioned above. We've been munching on sashimi with wasabi and soy for the last couple of hours, and now it's time to kick it up a notch!
Much thanks.
John.
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

You guys are making me hungry.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Hey J Richard Cransteen,

I would be happy to show you how in October when we come. I like the pan too but thats just me. Like the others say it must be rare! In fact I like so rare that a good Veteranarian can bring it back.

Get your carcass to Whole foods and pick up some fresh ginger, some quality soy sauce and some real wasabi, and maybe a box of Pacifico's.

Well, get going...........
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

I do all the grill cooking in the family! (Man make fire.. cook food.. drink beer!)

I have started using what is technically known as a "planche". It is a square heavy cast iron sort of pan, with three sides and handles on the opposing sides, and is open in the front. I have been using it all summer and love it. It stays in the grill.. I occasionally wipe it with a damp cloth if it gets too grungy. Being that it is non-stick and I carefully "seasoned" it when it was new nothing ever sticks to it. I just put it on the grill, and plop down fish, veggies, beef, whatever. Being flat and non-stick it is a lot easier cooking on it.. and I can use a spatula to flip and remove whatever I am cooking. No sticking to the grill bars any more! I will never be without one in the future!

I usually heat the grill to about 350 to 375F. Thick tuna gets about 45 to 50 seconds a side.. burgers about 4 to 5 min on the first side.. 3 to 4 on the second if they are about 3/4" thick. Steaks, etc you have to adjust for the thickness.. but almost always we like rare. Pork and chicken you have to sort of learn what works best for your preference.

Between the planche and Walter's seafood cookbook I am a happy camper!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Mark,
Whole Foods?...if I only had your $$$.Do you know if they make generic Pacifico?.I'll go check it out at the dollar store.
Pam's been grilling the tuna for years, but she sometimes overcooks it. I had her read the above posts and I think that she's on track now.
Give me my jacket back, wiseguy.
John.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Be careful that the nonstick pan doesn't get any hotter -- it can be a health hazard if it does!
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Frank, How about a picture of the planche. Got to see this.
As much as I love the grill (prefer weber, have three different sizes for different things) I think for searing tuna I have better control with a skillet on a range. A great exhaust fan is a must, or earplugs for the verbal assault.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Yeah, Frank, I hate the grill bars sticking to the food too. Going to look into one immediately.

Dug- can you give me your CC number?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

High heat and non-stick pans are not a good combination healthwise. Straight black cast iron ones are indestructable and self curing if you don't steel wool them. Just wash and wipe with a light coat of oil.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Mikey/Andre...

I was slightly off on what the thing I use is called.. I thought it was french and was called a "planche".. but it is Hispanic and is called a "La Plancha".

It is available from Williams-Sonoma, so you both should be able to find them locally.

Here is the W-S web site for it....

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products ... DUCTSEARCH

I use it all the time in my Weber grill.. with the top down. I keep thinking I should try it with the top up, but that would probably mean learning the techniques all over again.

If you get one let me know what you think of it.

Frank
Frank B
--------------
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

J Richard,
You can't fool me with generic Pacifico's unlike that time I drug you into Mermaids in Cabo and told you we were at the fish market!

Fish on! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Blow fish.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Put in plastic bag with sourcream and chives. Put that in icebox for 4-6 hours. Heat grill with top down. Sear for 1 min each side. serve right away.
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Frank,
We bought one and so far have cooked two meals- cooked chicken, veggies and steaks & veggies. Used my heat gun to check temp and I get the surface to 350-400 and put the stuff on- really good. Thanks for the tip.

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

When it is cold and raining, I cheat and use this. I used to think my George Foreman was awesome, but the one I had was an old model and the grill plates didn't come off for cleaning. This thing works really well, and with the 20% off coupon was only $80.00. Flip the grill plates over and I can cook pancakes on the flattop!

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product ... U=14783385

Tom
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Andre...

Thanks for the feedback! I leave the thing on the grill with the top down after I am finished cooking.. when it is cool I usually wipe the cooking surface with paper towels. I never have washed it with soap and water.. afraid it will lose it's "seasoning". Have used it since spring and love it.

Happy cooking!
Frank B
--------------