My Bahia Mar

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bob lico

Post by bob lico »

oh my GOD he is one of those fat teddy followers now he will back the democrats!!!!!!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Next thing we know, UV will be telling us how he dumped the GPS and now Navigates by the stars and how it only takes him 15 minutes on a clear night to find out where he is.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Harump.....I learned how to use a sextant with I learned to fly, and also how to "use" a Loran A with the little squiggly lines sitting on toad stools dancing across the scope.....and the sky wave and the ground wave, etc. It all sucked vs. modern stuff. And we stayed lost half the time which cut down the pressure on the fish....nowdays any mullet can take a triple outboard monkey boat and go offshore with total bliss.

I had a refreshing sail this morning and discovered my bow painter is about a foot too long.....it will just barely reach the little plastic prop on the Mariner 2 hp kicker when you forget it on the foredeck and it blows over the side. I hit a bulkhead only a glancing blow with no apparent damage.

UV
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Vicroy wrote:Harump.....I learned how to use a sextant with I learned to fly, and also how to "use" a Loran A with the little squiggly lines sitting on toad stools dancing across the scope.....and the sky wave and the ground wave, etc. It all sucked vs. modern stuff. And we stayed lost half the time which cut down the pressure on the fish....nowdays any mullet can take a triple outboard monkey boat and go offshore with total bliss.

I had a refreshing sail this morning and discovered my bow painter is about a foot too long.....it will just barely reach the little plastic prop on the Mariner 2 hp kicker when you forget it on the foredeck and it blows over the side. I hit a bulkhead only a glancing blow with no apparent damage.

UV
Good times, I learned to use a sextant about 25 years ago. It's kind of a fun thing to be able to do.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Climb...climb.... wobble... wobble... guess that was local apparent noon...
Pull a sextant out of its box and watch how carefull everybody else on board gets with the dead reckoning... I think you get an eye patch and a parrot with one now.

hey- I think that "monkey boat" moniker might stick...
Possunt quia posse videntur
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I still have paper charts on the boat for when I go offshore. I can still plot a course but those Chart Plotters can sure spoil you.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

You're nuts if you don't keep a chart on board. Unless you have 2-3 chart plotters.
Goober

Re: My Bahia Mar

Post by Goober »

Kiff been reading this discussion about ur 31 running bow heavy I agree with capt pat and most all other replies but I reareally think boat has damaged as u no engine ,shaft , rudder alignment start at front of engine not at strut or fodder port ur numbers seem close but when compounded they will be a lot That port rudder to me is the culprit it in fact could be bent slightly and when pressure is applied that is when u have to apply tab to bring it back level From what I read ,from then on the boat rides fine except bow heavy again I agree with capt pat Weight ratio has been disturbed Small tank ,bigger engines heavier material all ad up to a heavier bow which relates to lazy or slow steering Rudders on my 31fb are set inboard aprox 1/2 in combined with 0 steering problems Triple check that port rudder again I think it's doing something stupid
Goober

Post by Goober »

In regard to my last post only been a member a short time , been on ,in ,around boats for 40 years plus. And still learning thank the good master and you for letting me be a member and enjoying this site. BR. Goober
PabloSieablo

Post by PabloSieablo »

Hey Kiffa, I know you posted this a while ago...but do you still have your boat down in St. Lucia? I'm born and raised in Bermuda and have a 1972 Bahai factory hardtop I'm restoring myself. I'd really like to see your restoration pictures from back then and ask you a few questions about how she runs. I'm putting twin V8 300hp diesels in mines and hope she's launched by end of summer.
Cool looking model we have, Paul Simons.
Kiffa
Standing Member

Post by Kiffa »

Wow old thread, great to hear from you. Yes, we still have Blue Boy and she is better than before with modified engine boxes that open outward instead of aft, built-in tackle stations, new electronics, Pocco lighting controls for all Lumitec lights, Ocean Link digital gauges to replace the analogs, etc etc.
We are also removing the Bimini and replacing it with a tower, and will then install a 12V Ac system from Mabru to cool the cabin and driving area.
I will send along some pictures over the next few weeks.
To reply to the post just before yours, we did have a  sluggish steering problem at one point, it was because the rudders were installed a little too far aft and the trailing edges protruded beyond the hull, once we moved them forward she is very bow proud and steers like a race car. This is an issue we have seen on two other 31s down this way.
With the Cummins, we cruise all day at 1900 rpm doing just over 20kts. She will top out at just about 27 kts.  She is propped for load and with just one engine, she will plane at over 16 kts at 2500 rpm!
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Wow, looking through this old post and seeing UV and Walter brings back some bittersweet memories. And now Bob is gone! us site old timers are slowly fading away I am afraid. We need to support the new blood on the site!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

It has been a while s nice Kiffa posted.

Raleigh unfortunately we are getting old. I joined in 2006 but I used to lurk on here for years before that. In fact I remember when it was under a different name.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
neil

Post by neil »

Rayleigh. We had the pleasure to meet all of the above and learned a lot from all of them what a great group,we met uv in new port many hrs ago I I will never forget ,capt pat referred him as his platinum spark plug as for Walter we have several of his cookbooks that we won at numerous rendezvous we as a family have met some great people thru this site
Dug

Post by Dug »

Bob is gone??? Bob Lico is still alive fortunately. That being said I do miss many of our old timers very much.

Dug
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Dug, it is Bob Fioresi that just passed away.
Kiffa
Standing Member

Post by Kiffa »

I agree with all these comments, the members of this group have a huge wealth of knowledge and are always willing to go above and beyond to assist. There is so much information in this forum, that can be applied to all aspects of boating, not just 31's.
Because of guys like Capt Pat, Bruce, the Bobs, Uncle Vic, Rawleigh, Walter, and the list goes on and on boaters new and old will have the encouragement and information needed to tackle any project. Thanks to everyone!
PabloSieablo

Post by PabloSieablo »

Been a while, so much going going on with covid and all...but glad to find some people are still in the pursuit of happiness man.
Thanks for replying to my questions Kiffa, nice sounding upgrades you did, inspiring. I've decided to sell my V-8 diesels and go with some Yanmars in my Bahia Mar...are 6LY440's too big. They're kinda heavy with gears but would that be an insurmountable issue? I'll always have tones of gear, live well boxes to consider as well, maybe sitting out there might be scary if I weigh more than a tank. Yet, I'm sure running will be a dream, any thoughts?
Paul