gass leak, or stolen gas

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

spencer

gass leak, or stolen gas

Post by spencer »

Went to bahamas , had left about 70 gallons of gass left in original tank, used auxillary tank on the way back thats why I have the remainder left in the original tank.

Problem is went to use the boat the other day (two weeks later)and the tank was empty,
I did not see any gass in the billge area, or did not notice any smell
however my neighbor said that he thought he was smelling gass and he thought it was his boat.

my original thought that it was stolen , but then thought about ethanol and possibly on the ride home tank was compromised
Is there any way to figure it out without putting gass in tank or is there a dye to put in with the gass so it would be seen in the bilge area?

I am planning on replacing the tank however was trying to coordinate with repower.

Thanks for the replies

Spencer
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

I have used the flourescent dye in my gears to find oil leaks. It works very well - requires a black light to see the dye. Available at many auto parts stores or on line. Mix with a small amount of gas and then go back at night with the black light. Be sure you get the type for oil vs. the kind for water as you would use to detect a leak in a radiator or heat exchanger.

Another thought would be to close off the fuel valves and put a slight air pressure into the tank through the vent hose and listen for a "hiss".

Sounds like a theft to me - that much gas in the bilge would leave some smell.

UV
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

i agree with uv 70 gals is alot of gas in the bilge.
1968 hull # 316 - 757
spencer

Post by spencer »

Thanks for the info UV and Charlie, I will try the dye to see if it will come out in the bilge area

Spencer
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Did you have the drain plug in or out of the boat?

If in that amount of gas wouldn't evaporate without showing signs of issues in the bilge.

If out, behind the boat there would be stains or dead grass or a tell tale sign of gas leaking.

Sorry but I'm a suspicious bastard, are there foot prints by the boat that lead to your neighbors house.

Cause I got to believe that if someone smelled gas, they sure as hell are gonna check it out before something goes boom rather than just shrug it off.
spencer

Post by spencer »

Bruce,

The boat is in the water, so if it was leaking the automatic bildge would slowly pump it out over the side

So I would think there would be a nice sheen in the water or somthing, but I could see nothing at the end of the canal that i am in.

I would not put theft pass anyone especially now, guess im going to have to put in a camera to monitor the boat, what was the real scary part is that i was out driving the boat on the tower helm when for some reason, i decided to look at the lower helm gauges and found the tanks were empty , otherwise I would have been out in the ocean without gass.

Guess that is one of things you should always check

Spencer
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

Try switching the water and gas caps and see if your water mysteriously disappears. Then watch for the guy on the dock bitching about bad gas.
If the tank drained all the way down why not put another gallon or two in and see if that drains out. Or pressurize it and see if it holds.
My money is on the gas thief, thats alot of gas to evaporate without drawing attention.
Don't lend a hand to raise a flag aboard a ship of fools!
STraenkle

Post by STraenkle »

Maybe the gas gauge wire broke on the way home.....

There might be 70 gallons in there, I have had the wire break before.
Scott Traenkle
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Not doubting anything already said here......but.....I had the same thoughts early in my stewardship of DeNada.....

First of all you have to know that I have a 45 gallon tank that I use to cart gasoline from the local gas station to my boat in the boat house.......3 trips at $165.00 per trip from the gas station to the boat house.....

But that is the day that I finally figured out that this horsepower hungry monger and the extremely thirsty 454's driven by Crazy Horse at a blinding speeds would consume 25+ gallons per hour.

I found the problem to be an extremely loose nut at the helm on top of the throttle handles.

And if it still ran I would still be laying the throttles on the deck......

hb
hb
luis

Post by luis »

Some years ago my fuel gauge shows half tank. So after a weekend I bring more 100 lts and during some months I keep on bringing fuel till one day that I put the boat out and looking to the gauge it shows almost empty. I tought it was a good time to take all the fuel out for cleaning.
When I open the window on top of the tank it was almost full.
And then I check that it was not the gauge but the tank sensor, the sending unit. After replacement, the gauge shows almost full and the changing of the fuel was delayed for more 2 or 3 years. But that problem was solved.
Better check if you have fuel inside the tank.

All the best
1969 Hull #313-897
Kurt

Post by Kurt »

Had a tank pumped dry at a the local truck stop I left the truck at over a weekend at home. Over 100 gal. later at more than 3.90 a gallon and trying to get a cat c12 restarted I now park at a gated lot.
With costs now, a lot of people are willing to take the risk.