Twin Disc Gears

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Russ

Twin Disc Gears

Post by Russ »

Does anyone have any info on twin disc gears number MF 505A? I'm repowering with Cummins 6bta's, 270's.They said this gear would be a good fit. 1 1/2 in. shafts. Was also wondering what would be the right wheels to use. I have a 76 FBC. Thanks in advance to all the faithfull. Russ
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Russ, good gears. Assuming you will run 1.5:1 ratio, start with 21x22 three blades with no cup. I get 24.5 kts at 2400 rpm out of my 6BTA 250s with that set up. Maybe more now with a new paint job, new props, new struts, new cutless bearings, and a bottom job. Shoot if AJ makes 10 knots after her adventure I'll be a happy clam......

UV
Russ

Post by Russ »

Thanks uncle Vic! Capt Pat suggested those gears over the ZFgears. I just wanted to make sure the number on the gear was heavy enough for the engines. Good luck with AJ,hopefully mother nature will be nicer to you guys down south this year. You must be chomping on the bit to get rocking and rolling again. Thanks again for the info! Russ
Capt. Mike Holmes

Twin Disc model numbers

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Russ, pretty sure that is the 5050A. This is an even heavier transmission than you need, but I think it basically replaced the old 502. The only other one I know of smaller is the 5011A, which is probably too small. I had a 5011A fail while nearly new, and almost never got Twin Disc to honor the warranty. A friend had a 5050A go to pieces twice, pushing 210 Cummins in a 31 Bahia Mar, and they would not stand behind it either time. Be careful about warranty work.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."