Northeast Fish reports

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Dug

Northeast Fish reports

Post by Dug »

Ok, Alchemy is in, and running well (knock on wood, but I always say that!!!), the tuna license is renewed, the satellite service is ready.

Sounds like I am too.

Anyone catching any bluefin off of LI? I have heard rumors... Are they just rumors? I am thinking about a day shark trip south of Montauk with a mixed crew, so blue sharks might suffice. But I always prefer tuna!!!

Anyone have any action to report?

Many thanks,

Dug
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

went 2/5 bft on sat at the chicken canyon--jigging next to the scallop boats---must have been 50-60 boats--most from jersey.

most boats were trading for bait, but we jigged them with hammered jigs.

caught the first trolling near the virgina---but hearing the reports coming from CC--we made the move---tried trolling the CC on the way home without a touch---lots of life --whales, turtles, sunfish

the trolled fish was small-25lbs the other about 75lbs
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

i had an estamate 200 lb mako on under the bunker school on sat in 30 ft of water, jumped off transon that was it game over
1968 hull # 316 - 757
neil

Post by neil »

dug we had good bluefin fishing today find a scallop boat and you found the bluefin
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Plenty of fish in the Chicken. Trade beer or cigarettes for guts. I did a lot of jogging, but guts caused immediate hook ups.
offshore31

Post by offshore31 »

Dug

Closer to home I've heard rumors of sbft over at the gulley, etc. Offshore I heard of small yft at the canyons.
Joe A.
lurker (ex-b31r)
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Dug:

As noted on FB - I ate a delicious Mako on the 4th that was caught on the 2nd. Fish went 160, as verified by scale and the marine biologist that caught it, and it was in sight of a certain island you know and love.

Tom
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Dug, Did a shark trip monday, landed a 150lb mako within 5 minutes of setting up the slick, big blue dogs all day, bluefin 20-80lbs were busting just south of coxes over the weekend. Heard of yellowfin at west atlantis. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Dug

Post by Dug »

Thanks everyone! I think blue sharks would suffice for this crowd. Relative novices, so it is all good. We would be looking to set up somewhere south of Block Island to South of Montauk. It has to be a day trip, due to all the planned goings on in our household this weekend. It is my brothers birthday, the New London fireworks are on for Saturday, etc. Just a busy weekend, so any offshore trip will have to be day only, putting the canyons out of reach for us for this weekend.

I will report back on anything if we go!

Dug
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

165 degrees from the point to 180 feet. You'll be at the beginning of the Butterfish Hole where anything can happen
Dug

Post by Dug »

Walter! That is for sure!!!!!
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

Dug,
Gully and Butterfish hole for sharks; Fairway bouy & South for Bluefins and chicken mahi. Bassing around the island is really good now. Eels, tube and worm, and parachute jigs are all producing.
Dug

Post by Dug »

We headed to Butterfish on Sunday and set up. There were a number of boats in the area, but with the weather as nice as it was, that was not a surprise. I went with my friend Bill Jennings, who some of you know due to his bowthruster installation business, my brother and his brother in law.

Powerchummed for a mile and a half or so, and set up. PRetty quickly the short close in bait got hit. I looked over the side to see if I could see what took it and was met by MAKO FACE!!!! I lept back, went head over heels across the cockpit and glanced over my shoulder, to see a 3-4' mako pup of about 80 lbs 3-4 feet above my gunwale, flying, come down, bounce off the gunwale, and splash back into the water. The fish gave us a great fight and we released it, due to its size. Then two more nice sized blue sharks and we headed to Block for mudslides.

It was a great day with beautiful weather and good friends!

Dug