Large Pelagics Survey

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Stephan

Large Pelagics Survey

Post by Stephan »

Got the attached letters and fishing log from NOAA. I have been chosen to report the fishing activities of Axe for the period 5/31 to 6/13.
For this time of year and water temps I don’t see much sense in burning $5/gal gas to chase “Large Pelagics”. Might have some Striped Bass and Bluefish to report with a little luck…
The letter from Margo Schulze-Haugen, Chief, Highly Migratory Species Management Division, includes contact information at NMFS and QuanTech (government contractor to conduct study) if I have any questions. Anybody want to suggest some questions?
Best,
Stephan

http://www.msgdeals.com/images/LPS%202011.pdf
Possunt quia posse videntur
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Ask Margo whats the reason behind this study and will they like in the past, use this information to develop new regulations, bans and costs to recreational fishermen.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Um.. I've been chosen again by NOAA Fisheries to report the fishing activity of Axe for the Large Pelagic Survey!?!
This time for the period 6/27 to 7/11. Lookin’ at family, work and other commitments we’re going to have the same conversation as last time… I’m not kidding here:
Them: “…how many trips did you make during the reporting period?”
Me: “none, sir”
Them: “… and none were with paying passengers?”
Me: -pause- “uh, yes, sir” (my permit is for recreational only so I’m not sure if I should be a little torque’d at this question)
Them: “and the total number of large pelagic species (caught)?”
Me: -pause- “uh that would be none sir as well.”…
I guess I should be thankful that they do not go through the “total catch” by species…
Hey-on the bright side, if JP’s son or daughter answered the phone they’d prolly have all the data they need to close down everything but dogfish…
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Ask Margo to send you some gas money & that you know a guy that had an erection that lasted more than 4 hours. Keep 'em guessing.

UV
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

FWIW, I get those all the time and just throw them in the trash
ed c.

Post by ed c. »

Never volunteer for anybody from a bureaucracy.
Bill Mckinnon

NOAA

Post by Bill Mckinnon »

I got on the survey list and they hounded me like a dog. Sent the forms in the mail. After that began calling at all hours. Told them many times not fishing or catching anything large. Heck from january to june they have about everything closed now. No grouper, snapper, blackfish, Sheephead and other species. They even are trying to limit to 1 wahoo a trip. At over $4.00 a gal for diesel I am nto trying or spending the money on it. Good luck shaking them

Capt. Bill McKinnon
Charleston SC
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

They send you the forms, but call you on then phone. When they ask about paying customers I just refer them to my permit category. That question torques me, and i let them know.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

This is the "scientific input" NOAA keeps talking about? 30 years ago I had a mate who told me that giving information and tagging would eventually be used against us and become an asset to the commercial fisheries. Thought he was wrong...not any more!