UVI 10

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

UVI 10

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Just noticed that TSL has limited availability for the week of August 21st which is when I'll be there with my Dream Team vying for my 10th consecutive victory in this world renowned event. They had showed that week booked up but guess someone must have backed out after hearing the Coonasses are coming. Some of you have asked about coming and getting in the chase for the covented Winner's Award, so this is your chance. My team caught 9 marlin in 4 days the same week last year.

The scoring will be fair and the rules are the same as always.

UV
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

UV:

For the newbies, is the cajun translation for "The scoring will be fair and the rules are the same as always" as follows:

UV is da winner, u be fishin for last place?

Tom
In Memory of Vicroy

No, second place.

Gone to the camp.....

UV
Rob C

Post by Rob C »

I thought Matt posted somewhere that he was in Panama. I assumed it was already time for the UVI? I will be over in your neck of the woods fishing the Cajun Canyon Classic in two weeks, looking for Mr Blue Suit. Wish us luck!

Rob C
"sometimes you go 8 sometimes you hit dirt"

Rob C
In Memory of Vicroy

Rob - Dr. Matt was fishing with his buddy who has the Merritt on Hannibal Bank which is off northern Panama. The UVI used to be in June when we had it at Port Eads, then when Katrina blew PE away, moved it to TSL in Panama in June, then I had my first bout with cancer and didn't have it in 09....and the 2010 version I had in late August and doing it again this year. TSL used to close by Sept. 1 but they discovered a huge marlin bite in late August and Sept. and the place is now pretty much booked solid then like it is in January & Feb.

Y'all catch 'em up at the CC. Looks like the Loop Current is pushing real good and the high river should make some interesting rips. Remember ole Uncle Vic's advice about fishing off the mouth of the Miss. River - "don't run over the fish just because you can".......I've caught many a marlin inside 12 miles.....and of course the best advice: "you gotta fish where they live and must be present to win".

UV
Rob C

Post by Rob C »

Uncle Vic,
Do you think anybody would mind if we ended up tying up for the night in Port Eads? If you have any contact info for anybody there I would appreciate it. Just to ask and give them a heads up in case the seas don't cooperate. We will be in a 30' Robalo and I bet we will have had a few cold ones come dark, sure would be nice to duck in and get a good nights sleep.

Coming from Texas we always think we have to run to Hell and back to get into good water, it is good to hear from locals who know the drill. I always say how good the fishing is down there just outside SW pass, then I forget on the drive over and run to Hell anyway???? Heard the rip is about 12 miles SSE of SWPass. They have caught a few Blues there already and in Green Canyon.

Thanks for any help.

I saw Matt's pics from Panama they are GREAT!

Rob C

Rob C
In Memory of Vicroy

As far as I know there is no one at Port Eads & don't know anything about the depth, obstructions, etc. I'll cehck around and let you know if I find out anything. I'd think in a small boat you could poke in there with no problem. Most big boats anchor in the pass opposite the lighthouse.

The sea water temp charts show the rips south and southeast of Port Eads and not far, just outside the 100 fathom curve, say 12-15 miles out.

UV
Rob C

Post by Rob C »

We have seen recently a few boats tied up there, and so getting in and out don't seem to be a problem. I see the color change about 12 mi fromo the pass will have to see how things look in a few days.
Thanks for the help UV.
Rob C

Rob C
Tom

Post by Tom »

Rob, show us your sword from the other day.....
Viva la Presidente!
Matt Holcomb

Post by Matt Holcomb »

There are a few fishing pics here. Largest fish was about 700.
https://picasaweb.google.com/holcomb.matt/PanamaMay2011#

It took 11 edits and creating a photobucket acct, but I finally was able to post a pic......
Last edited by Matt Holcomb on May 27th, '11, 12:33, edited 11 times in total.
Rob C

Post by Rob C »

Matt looks like y'all had the trip of a life time! Congrats!! Picaflor sure catches some fish!!!!!

Tom, I will try to post a pic but have never done it here? She went 338 and that was less a pec and anal fin, could have been the Texas record?! Oh well.

can't post pic?

Rob C