Mara Update

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Mara Update

Post by MarkS »

I had been contacted by a number of you guys regarding Mara's status so I thought I would post a little something about how we are fighting. Mara has completed her standard course of radiation and chemotherapy and we gained about 1/3 against this monster.

We are currently exploring alternative courses of action as traditional therapies have been exhausted. We are looking at the Burzynski Clinic in Houston and fortunately we have wonderful friends there like John Cranston and Danny McKinney who thanks to the Captain and this website we found for a reason I am sure, and who will help us and stand by us if and when we go down there.

As well we continue to work with diet and control of certain elements in the blood which can aid in tumor death and inhibit its growth. Other than that clinical trials are very limited against this type of brain tumor as out of 150-200 kids a year get brain tumors only 10-15 are DIPG and not many parents are willing to toss their kid up on the table and say, "Go ahead and stir around and see what you can do!" Most, like my wife and I opt for what is more tried and true even though the average life of a child with Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma is 8 months to a year and a half.

One bright note was the Kim Pope Memorial Ride which was held about a week ago where 250 entered a 100 mile senic ride through the Wisconsin country side on motorcycles and a number of classic cars on Mara's behalf. Kim Pope was a young woman who was stricken with a brain tumor that eventually consummed her and her husband an avid Harley man and his buddies started this ride 7 years ago in her memmory.

I have posted a link on Mara's FaceBook Prayer page which shows the view I had from the front of the pack in a side car I shot video which shows the miles and miles of motorcycles that followed this incredibly organized event as we climbed a hill you can see motorcycle headlights until we crested the hill and they went out of sight.

It was sort of like going to a Green Bay Packers Footbal game where you party with 65,000 of your closest friends but it was over 250 of some tough looking bikers to guys who normally where a suit and tie to work evey day. It was a very moving experience for both myself and my wife. Mara sort of found it a little overwhelming and a bit intimidating but she was rained down with gifts and love from each and every one of them and was made to feel like a queen for the day.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001974116481

Thanks again for the continued prayers guys we fight on!

Great health to you all,
Mark
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Dug

Post by Dug »

Mark,

I have been wondering and thinking, and hoping for your daughter, you and your family. Thank you so much for your update.

I am glad she was queen for a day there. I bet she really enjoyed it.

Is there anything we here as friends on the board can do? Please tell us if there is.

Thank you again for sharing.

Dug
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

mark
thanks for the update. i like dug was thinking the other day about mara, my prayers are and always will be for you and your family and of course mara
1968 hull # 316 - 757
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

I was thinking of you and your family as well. My prayers are still with you.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Mark, I live very close to the Burzynski clinic. Within a couple miles. Don't know anything about it. But, I can offer support, a cold drink, and anything else in my power. I've got a 5 year old daughter, our only. I cannot imagine....281-814-7021 Tom Pattillo
Viva la Presidente!
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

Mark, I echo Tom's statement...I just can't imagine. I'm sitting here with a newly shaved head after contributing to the St. Baldricks Foundation.

Prayers for your little angel.

Rick

eta: PM sent
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Mark- Thanks for the update as we've been wondering and figured you were busy as hell keeping up with what has to be done and didn't need to write responses. No matter where you end up going for treatment, there will be a Bertram Brethren nearby to offer assistance. You can count on it. Walter
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Mark

As you know, we all keep on praying for Mara. Glad you posted an update. Please keep us all updated on her progress.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Our prayers are with Mara and your family, Mark.

hb
hb
coolair

Post by coolair »

Mark,
Still thinking of you and your family. I am here in houston too. Closer to medical center and hobby air port, but will help how ever i can when/if you come.
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Our prayers with Mara and your family. Keep pushing!
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Mark: Thanks for the update. I have been thinking of you guys, but was afraid to ask. Godspeed!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Thanks a lot guys I will keep all of this in mind. Right now we are struggling with steroids and the proper amount to keep her functional. Radiation beat her up pretty bad and we are doing our best to keep the inflamation down around the tumor with the Dexamethazone. Its rotten shit it makes her ravenously hungry, an emotional basket case and she looks like a budda but without it she has a lack of balance and her eyesight which is still not real good gets much worse.

If you want a first hand description of what brand of hell comes with this bastard just do a search on DIPG. It will make you want to throw up.

As always my best to you all,
-M

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
opunui

Post by opunui »

We will be praying also from across the pond. Good luck. If there is anything we can do or send your little one let me know.

Aloha, Bobby
------------------------
1977 Bertram FBC 1688 M77L
lpd3

Post by lpd3 »

Mark,

Thank you for the update. I have been wondering how Mara was doing and wish her well. When in Houston if you need help with anything please call. 2817888950.

Louis
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Lord, we lift up Mara, Mark and the entire family up to You as she fights this terrible disease. Give her doctors wisdom, give Mara comfort, and give her family peace. We ask that you restore her to her full measure of health. Protect that beautiful child of Yours. In Your Name, Amen.
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Mark,

Thanks for taking some time to give us an update on Mara and we will contine to pray and pray harder for her, you and your family.

If you find yourself anywhere near Baltimore, please let us know. We'd be happy to help in anyway.

-JohnD
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Guys:

This is just a quick reference of what Mara, Mark and his family is going through.

http://riahsrainbow.org/id14.html

All my prayers with Mara at this moment. Do not give up and keep fighting.
In Memory Walter K

I wish I hadn't read that. I have watched what Chemotherapy and radiation did to my sister and both my wives. As horrible as it was, this sounds worse. My heart goes out to all concerned. Pray for a miracle guys.
Dug

Post by Dug »

She must be a strong and amazing girl. With strong and amazing parents. I have friended her prayer page on Facebook, and it tells a wonderful story in pictures and thoughts.

Keep it up guys. Keep up the praying. Maybe, just maybe it will help as it may have in the past.

And Mara, this group of big guys who live and love to fish, boat and enjoy life and each other are thinking of you. We really are. Big hugs, and feel better!!!!

Dug
Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

Praying for you and Mara! Keep up the good fight.

JD
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

This looks like a tough one. Hang in there, we will keep Mara in our prayers.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
randall

Post by randall »

in our thoughts and prayers.
Captn Bruce

Post by Captn Bruce »

Mark,

Mara and your family are in our prayers.

Bruce D.
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

We got some good news yesterday at Mara's checkup. The Doctors notes from two weeks ago to yesterday show marked improvement of side effects. We can only hope this correlates to whats going on inside. We also got to reduce the dexamethazone a little and that is always welcome.

Thanks for the prayers guys and the Facebook friends as well.
As always you guys are awesome!

-M

Dug

Post by Dug »

Mark,

That is amazing and wonderful!!!! Lets keep it up!!!!!!!

Big smiles!!!

Dug
Carl

Post by Carl »

Thank you for the update and good news.

Mara is always in my prayers.

Carl
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Mark,

I’ve been away from the computer for a few weeks due to work. John’s been keeping me updated.

Mara is in our prayers. If your fight brings you to Houston we’ll be there for you.

Danny
Gert van Leest

Post by Gert van Leest »

Hi Marc ,

the first time I read your Message , my stommage turned , I have 3 little boys 2.4.7. and my greatest nightmare .................
If you can and want , come down to the Netherlands , I have plenty of space to harvest you and your family , and come to have a look at the tulips....
My hart is with you !! .........and you are more than welcome !!
Women are like boats ,the older they get , the more money and professional help they need to look beautiful.
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

We are currently in Houston staying with The Cranstons and hanging with the McKinney's too, John has an awesome place and I can't say more about the size of Texas hospitality! Words can not be spoken to describe the way these people have laid it out for us.

Spent the better part of the day at the Burzynski Clinic on Thursday. He tells us he has a number of long time surviors with DIPG which is more than the traditional western medicine guys have told us. Down side is an extended stay in Houston, a therapy the involves a pump Mara has to carry and a port for medicine that gets introduced for a number of hours a day for about a year.

Today is MD Anderson to see what they might have.

Stay well all, hospitals are no fun.........................

M

PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Best of luck Mark, you guys are doing great!
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
randall

Post by randall »

words kind of escape me on this. i admire the ferocity of your willingness to battle and like everyone wish you nothing but the best possible outcome.
In Memory Walter K

Surrender is not an option!
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Mark...

One of my daughter's best friends has had a pump for at least 10 years and I recall when she first got it she had maybe a few weeks of discomfort which faded away.. after that she was able to do almost anything a normal kid would do. Kids have an amazing capability to adapt and get on with their lives. I guess this is due to their innocence.

Know that there are lots of us here who think of your family every day, sending Mara and you and your wife our thoughts and love. Keep fighting!

One day at a time!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Mark: Continued prayers for all of you. Keep fighting, never give up, never, ever, give up.

Tom
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Mark,

I have several friends who have had excellent results from the wonderful medical staff at MD Anderson. Our prayers continue for Mara, you and your entire family that you will experience similar results. It's pretty cool how this website weaves people's lives together in ways other than just boating.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Tommy wrote:It's pretty cool how this website weaves people's lives together in ways other than just boating.
Amen to that......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Dug

Post by Dug »

Mark and family, and especially Mara,

Ive been posting on your facebook page often with the intent of showing that I and others are thinking of you. Hoping with you. Praying for you. Admiration for you and your courage, and strength is for sure there and in force.

Keep it up, don't slack it, you have our love and support. Just ask if you need it! Its there in any form we can.

Dug
randall

Post by randall »

mike ohlstein wrote: Amen to that......

X2
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Marc, Your family is in our thoughts,your in great hands...A Bertram Brother in need has alot of friends indeed..Way to go Cranstons...amazing sandbox..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Marc

Our prayers continue for you guys. Keep the faith. My Nephew who had brain cancer, who it was not looking good for was just told he is cancer free. Keep the faith. They are making great progress against this stuff.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Mark,

It was great to see you again and to meet Mara.

Guys, when I went to pick them up at the airport minutes after meeting me for the fist time Mara informed me how cute I looked carrying a girls suit case as I was helping with her aunt’s bag…She's a lot of fun, and she picked up a little Texan while she was down here. "Howdy Y'all"

Mark, Lehann, & Liz (Mara’s aunt) are great folks, and wonderful champions for Mara. Only wish there was more we could do. Keep up the good fight.

Best Regards,
DanielM
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Mark,

Thoughts & Prayers for Mara & Your family as always since you first informed us about her condition.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Thanks Guys as always much appreciated! It was a whirrlwind trip but we managed to pack in the Aquarium (Thanks Danny) and the live butterfly display at the museum, totally amazing!

Danny whipped up a Texas size fish fry and we also did an all you can eat shrimp gig that left us all moaning, not to mention we packed our own liquids under the table. Texas, what a country!!

Day two took us to MD Anderson and some further potocal to contemplate.
They have a multiple chemo and blood pressure/seizure medicine cocktail that the peds oncologist has had success with in controlling progression of the tumor.

My wife turns colors when we talk about Burzynski mostly because of the port and the pump and the bag that Mara will have to use for an extended time, me, more of the solve it now train of thought but peace must be kept at home or it all falls apart so we will start with Anderson.

Our search for the answers will continue as well.

You guys are super and thanks again,
Mark

TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Mark:

Thanks for the update - I can't imagine how you guys sleep -- if you do! Continued prayers and best wishes headed your way. I guess I am not surprised that a bunch of people who are so passionate about their boats, could be even more passionate about doing what we can to help a family and a beautiful little girl, any way we can.

How priceless that must have been to be told how cute you looked carrying a girl's suitcase -- just another example of the charm of Mara!

And a wise choice you made, Mark, the only thing more ferocious than a momma lion, would be a momma -- gotta pick your battles and as Sun Tzu said - when you are facing an opponent of higher strength, it is best to retreat!!!!!

Tom
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Mark,

Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers...

Ray
scot

Post by scot »

My prayers are with Mara and your family Mark. Keep up the good fight.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
coolair

Post by coolair »

what the hell! yall come down, eat shrimp, drink all the booze, hell i bet john even dressed in drag again, and you dont invite me?? that hurts.
haha glad yall had a good time!

Mark in all seriousnes, while you are here or when you are here if you need anything please let me khow as well. I am more than happy to help in any way I can, We have a place alittle closer than Johns, so if you want to get to the bay and see the ocean no problem, whatever just name. I am not sure where Daniel lives, but I am pretty close to the med center, so its nothing to cruze over there. I think md aderson is the best place to be if you gotta be in one of those places. As always we are praying for yall, think positive.
Matt
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Matt I will put you on the to do list next trip amigo! Couple pics of Reel Cowboy, one with me an a couple of hotties.

Thanks again all!

-M

http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/slide ... =snapfish/

http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/slide ... =snapfish/

JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Mark,

Glad to hear Mara's making some progress regarding treatments. We're continuining prayers for Mara and your family.

If you find your travels bring you to MD, we're close to BWI and Hopkins.

Regards,
JohnD