Cleaning Flame Arrestors

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Stephan

Cleaning Flame Arrestors

Post by Stephan »

My 454 Crusader's flame arrestors are gunked. Looks like general oiliness with some belt dust and deteriorated engine box insulation. I've been told more ways to clean them then I can count, they include:
*Dump 'em in a bucket with -Diesel -or -Mineral Spirits -or -Simple Green -or -Gumount -or -WD40
*Only use K&N special Flame Arrestor cleaner
*Spray aerosol break cleaner from the inside out
* don't scrub em -vs -scrub em with a firm or soft brush
* let 'em dry -vs -blow compressed air through 'em before they dry
... and the ever popular non answer- wouldn't you rather have diesels? That boat really should have diesels....
Gentlemen what's right?

Possunt quia posse videntur
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

I had those on a couple of gas boats and always used Varsol or some other kindred mineral spirits. A small bucket with enough to submurge them and a stiff brush will do the job. That kind does not get oiled afterwards.

UV
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

I've always used spray gumout from the inside out, let them air dry then put them back on.
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Same as UV except would blow out with air.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Carl

Post by Carl »

Stephan,
They are metal...no special element involved, so nothing more then a grease cutting solvent and something to dislodge the crude.

Gasoline, kerosine, diesel fuel, carb cleaner, brake cleaner, spray nine, 409, dish detergent all work just fine. It's what you have available.

The to get the crude out after it is loosened up from the solvent...again what you have available and how badly the crude is cruded up. Compressed air, Jet Spray from a water hose, a few good dunks and swishes in a bucket, get at it with elbow grease and a brush. Just make sure its dry before you reinstall and your golden.

Keep in mind if your using a Petroleum based product, you want to take care about fumes, and no matter what you are using, you will have petroleum residue running out...EPA don't take kindly to that.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Thanks guys.
I have a little parts washer that pumps Simple Green so that washed things out and then blew it all dry with some compressed air.
Next........

Possunt quia posse videntur
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Believe it or not, put them in the dishwasher (when your wife is not home)!! It works great.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31