Are our N Carolina brothers okay?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bruce
Site Admin

Are our N Carolina brothers okay?

Post by Bruce »

How'd you guys hold up with the weekends weather?
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

We did ok,lost electricty for two hours.rain some wind.Newport ,a few miles up rt70 from us did not fair as well....Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

We had 3 people killed 20 miles from us in Gloucester County. The tornado went through Deltaville, VA and exited NE into the Bay. it is only though pure luck and Divine intervention that no one was killed in Deltaville.

North Carolina got pasted!! We were lucky and they were unlucky that the bulk of the weather went south of us. ! I think they had 20 some people killed!!! Terrible!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Here in coastal SE North Carolina it was a non-event.. just a lot of gusty winds but no damage except a few tree limbs down. From the news I believe most of the severe damage was in the middle and western part of the state. Last count today was 21 deaths in NC. I have a call in to a B33 friend from Morehead City but haven't heard back yet.

Speaking of people in Morehead City.. has anyone heard anything about Terry Frank? He is from there and was a regular here but I haven't seen anything posted by him in a very long time.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Good question! Last I heard from him was his donation to the Montauk Rendezvous. Hope he's OK.
jrhaszard

Tirnado

Post by jrhaszard »

I flew over Deltaville and Gloucester,Virginia today in a Cessna 182 and can confirm what has already been said about these two towns.It was easy to see the touchdown points and paths of both tornadoes.Trees were ripped up and shredded.Buildings looked as if they had been run through a blender.In Gloucester there was a lot of destruction on the private waterfronts.Many boats were lying upside down either on or next to their docks.Very sad.
BERG1847M80F
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

NE NC got hit pretty hard. Less than 10 miles from me lower currituck county got hit by a F1 then it crossed the sound and hit Duck NC and they were luckly it was not july because if is was there would have been lots of people injured. At one time saterday night we had 4-5 tornadoes spoted with in a 20 mile area.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

On the news this evening they said NC had a record breaking 25 identifyable tornados. Sadly the loss of life has been increased to 25. In a couple of the tornados they clocked 160 mph winds, and several had 135 mph winds. Apparently several houses have actually disappeared. We were very lucky here!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Yes, we were lucky. I talked to a guy in currituck who the tornado missed his house by 10' ya his car and shed gone. Its realy scary stuff.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Thanks for asking, guys. Here in Raleigh we sustained lots of property damage and 4 deaths. I was spared any damage, and I believe the others from the Board were spared as well. I drove through some areas that looked like war zones that you guys probably saw on the news.

Tommy
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Contacted Terry Frank- He's OK. Back on once a week Chemo for a month but says it's working and the side effects are minimal. His boat is fine but like so many of us, hasn't been able to use it enough. Sends his best to all. Walter
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Good news, Tommy, and good news about Terry Frank ("Glad to be anywhere") Walter, thanks.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Tommy,
Glad to here you guys in Raleigh did ok. I was wounder how you fared there.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

Tommy, glad your all right .State took a bad hit on this one. We lost power on the island and that was it,see you soon...Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
wlbsr

Post by wlbsr »

saw a 150 ft swath cut across hwy 70 between new bern and havelock, nc. several houses near totaled but the amazing thing was dozens of 20 inch pine trees snapped cleanly about 20 feet up. powerful stuff. lots of stories of very near misses.
Bill

BERG1474M74J-315
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Bill, I saw the devastation that you refer to right there at Newport. Your description of the 20" pines snapped in half like match sticks is no exaggeration....I could hardly believe my eyes. The strongest brick home built would be no match for that power.