Anyone have experience with nickel boron plating

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bruce
Site Admin

Anyone have experience with nickel boron plating

Post by Bruce »

Looking to see how the plating holds up after time and if reports of not having to lube moving parts holds true.

Some info on the net, but looking to get someone with hands on experience.

Thanks.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

bruce is that the plating on the slide and follower for auto/semi auto firearms.?
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

That would be melonite or tennifer. Tennifer being European in nature due to the use of cyanide in the process that the EPA won't allow over here, they basically the same coating.
Some bolt carrier groups have been done with NB.

I'm looking at it for a prototype wind generator I'm making.
Looking to coat a chain and gears rather than immerse in an oil bath due to the extra drag of the oil.
Don't want to use grease either.
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

R U turning green and getting a grant and all?
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

bruce i give you a pat on the back reinvent the wheel ! more power to you it keeps the mind going and you will never become stagnant at older age.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Al

Post by Al »

Bruce-

You may want to direct your questions to someone at Houston Plating, www.houstonplating.com. I don't have any personal knowledge about nickel plating processes, but understand the company specializes in them.

Al
Al
1970 31' FBC Hull No. 315-901
"Teppi"
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Thanks Al.

Wouldn't apply for a tax advantage or grant since its all tax money. Tax payers get hosed enough by the corn farmers.

Every wind generator I've seen uses large blades to catch the air. Going back to my A&P training I decided to go a different route revisiting bernoulli's principle of decreased pressure but increased velocity in a narrowed tube which would drive turbine blades.

The small model I built without driving any generating device has showed promise. A larger model that would drive a rewound Delco single wire altenator is in the planning stage and just getting ducks in a row and trying to eliminate as much drag as possible because its wasted energy.

Got the idea from a hand held anemometer and coupled that with Bernoulli.

The biggest issue is comming up with blade shapes. It'll be a long process.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Make it bird friendly and you'll be the cats pajamas. Maybe little wires in front of the housing to push the little migrating bastards to the side.

Variable speed drive to keep energy output the same for those really windy days? Would hate to have to burn all that excess energy up in the form of heat because the grid couldn't take it.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

JP, hadn't thought of birds yet. Good point.

I'm thinking very thin dagger blades in a cone shape out front. Ought to please the Ornithologists.

Back in junior high I built a regulator controller that was controlled from a shaft speed sensor to keep output steady. I used it for a different project back then but it will work the same and I still have the schematic for it.

Anyone remember Heathkit stuff? I still have some of the stuff I built and modified from their kits. Another one was Lafayette electronics.

Right now is just getting blade design and drag issues worked out.

I've had to go back and review some complex math, not a real strong point with me.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I remember the Heath Kit Stereo's everyone built in Highschool!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
jrhaszard

Wind generators

Post by jrhaszard »

Bruce,as an A+E mech,you have seen the wind blow through a big turbofan at rest.My concept is to use an engine like the GE TF-39.I flew the C-5 Galaxy for years with those engines.I hear they are to be reengined.Keep the intake plenums and cowlings.This engine comes with variable Inlet Guide Vanes.Keep that.Discard the turbine and hot box.The existing gearbox already drives an 80 KVA generator.Keep that.Put several engines shoulder to shoulder on a flat trailer.Run a cable from the generator to an inground receptacle.Take the trailer(s) to any(all) major U.S. airport at the departure end and set it up in place of a blast deflector.One after another departing big jet will spin thost fans to beat the band,thus producing juice from existing wasted free energy source.Move the trailer as the duty runway changes.They spin just fine without the jetwash but it would help when EMF is applied.A guy in Milford ,De. has a company that takes the old military engines from the boneyard at Davis Montham AFB and puts them backwards on flatcars to blow snow off the railroad tracks in the Canadian Rockies,etc.He makes his own fuel controls and the engines burn whatever keopectate the train is running on.He is given a special permit to purchase those old out of date engines cheaply.Those engines were on KC-135,F-4, F-8,B-52, Diesel Eight Douglasorous and many other old planes.
BERG1847M80F
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

That would work well during hurricanes also.

Wonder how my neighbors would react to a turbo fan mounted on the roof.

My idea is the same concept, just much smaller.
jrhaszard

Wind generator

Post by jrhaszard »

Those gererators are equipped with constant speed devices that compensate for variable wind ( fan ) speeds. The intake ducting and cowling are your bernoulli apparati and eliminate tip vortex drag.The smaller size also lessens the KFC effect on the stray bird population.The rotor is much smaller because it has so many blades and two stages versus the two and three blade rotors in Spain and California that are notorious for making starling pate.Those are huge diameter rotors.This would take up less space on your roof than a two blade rotor that would produce the same amount of sparks.Somebody call T. Boone.
BERG1847M80F
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid246.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fgg109%2Fa4ea%2FOverspeedTurbine.mp4">
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Bruce
Site Admin

Re: Wind generator

Post by Bruce »

jrhaszard wrote:Those gererators are equipped with constant speed devices that compensate for variable wind ( fan ) speeds. The intake ducting and cowling are your bernoulli apparati and eliminate tip vortex drag.The smaller size also lessens the KFC effect on the stray bird population.The rotor is much smaller because it has so many blades and two stages versus the two and three blade rotors in Spain and California that are notorious for making starling pate.Those are huge diameter rotors.This would take up less space on your roof than a two blade rotor that would produce the same amount of sparks.Somebody call T. Boone.
I like how you think!
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Andre,
I've seen the same thing happen to the front of a small palne when it lost a blade.

Looks like someones layup schedule needed to be reviewed and why I'm going the way of the turbine design.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Bruce, someone I was speaking to recommended this, Fluoropolymer coating. I have no experience, but wanted to pass it on.
JGomber

Post by JGomber »

Some kind of "pate" release coating should be considered, Bruce.
One of the biggest problems with the bladed generators is bug splat build up.
End result is loss of laminar flow and lots of lost efficiency.
Sounds like on your scale smaller critters might be a bigger problem.
How fast do you expect your creation to spin? Self cleaning speed?

Sign me up for one.
Jerry, Triton II
jrhaszard

generator turbine blades

Post by jrhaszard »

Bruce, in Viet Nam during the dry season the compressor blades on the Huey Lycoming Turbine engines became coated with dirt on their leading edges,changing airfoil shape and decreasing efficiency.When we came back to base camp at night, before shutdown, we sprayed water with hoses and pitched handfuls of ground walnut shells into the intakes to clean the blades. Problem solved.
BERG1847M80F
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

The parts are off being coated with the NB.

I doubt at the speeds these turbine blades will be spinning that foreign material will be as much an issue as in a powered turbine.

Well see as that's the whole developmental process.

Thanks for all the suggestions and info. It all helps.