SOLENOIDE

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

M. REY

SOLENOIDE

Post by M. REY »

Hello, do you guys know the part number of the cole hersee big solenoid betwin the battery connectors? I run diesel engine and also the two for the parallel battery toggle switch (two solenoid in a small metal box).
I am not an expert I am just restoring my fathers boat so the cole hersee catalog looks chinese to me.
I will really appreciate the help,
thanks.
M.REY
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

If your talking about the battery parallel solenoid 24020 is the original style for the 31.

Although if its still the original battery parallel, its probably got a bakelite housing(black) rather than the metal housing and is just a starter solenoid off an old style 60's, 70's car with a insulated ground.

A box with dual relays or solenoids is not original and I would need a picture to help out.

If your talking a starter solenoid on the diesel rather than the battery parallel, have to know the make and model of diesels.
M. REY

Post by M. REY »

[img]HTTP://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff5 ... 1300582091

I've got this pic fron the site so it's not my boat but I have the same there.
the other two solenoids are connected toguether in a box just behind the old electric panel.
My boat it's a 1975 flybridge cruiser detroit diesel 4-53n, I Am the original owner, well my father was.
A retaired mecanical rebuild the engines for free!! so I will give it a try for a while, over here those engines are very strange, like something from the second worldwar.
of course I will change to new diesels in the future.
I just need to install the appropiate new solenoids(cole hersee)in the same locations.
I will take a pic if needed.
Sorry for the long answer it's saturday night and I should be out there in a pub drinking scotch but I catch cold.

Thanks a lot.[/img]
M.REY
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff5 ... 1300582091
M. REY wrote:
I've got this pic fron the site so it's not my boat but I have the same there.
the other two solenoids are connected toguether in a box just behind the old electric panel.
My boat it's a 1975 flybridge cruiser detroit diesel 4-53n, I Am the original owner, well my father was.
A retaired mecanical rebuild the engines for free!! so I will give it a try for a while, over here those engines are very strange, like something from the second worldwar.
of course I will change to new diesels in the future.
I just need to install the appropiate new solenoids(cole hersee)in the same locations.
I will take a pic if needed.
Sorry for the long answer it's saturday night and I should be out there in a pub drinking scotch but I catch cold.

Thanks a lot.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Thats a heavy duty I assume 12v solenoid. I don't find it in the current cole hersee catalog but here is one thru an outfit in Texas. It looks like an old Delco unit.

If the voltage is other than 12v, Some of that older engine stuff is 32 or possibly 24v, the correct coil voltage has to be selected.

http://www.texasindustrialelectric.com/ ... 119865.asp

BTW, unless the coil is burned out, the top can be removed and contacts cleaned and greased to work on the old one.
The commom problem was burning between contacts faces and redressing them 90% of the time solved the problem.
Make sure if you do that you use a dielectric grease on the face contacts to prevent future corrosion which leads to the burning.
M. REY

Post by M. REY »

Unfortunately it's the only thing I remember to throw it in the rubbish at the time we dismantle the boat.
I just wanted to know what the damn thing was before the electic guy came to the boat.
As I have to do some shoping, I will order this delco part.

I couldn't do it myshelf without this site, you guys are great.
I really appreciate your help, thank you very much indeed,
reggards,
M.REY
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

thats a photo of my distribution center under saloon seat . that is the battery parallel solonoid that came with boat (1973).
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

M. Rey,

As you have discovered, these are the most knowledgeable boating guys in the world. The code of ethics on this Board is that you have to take us out on your boat whenever we travel your way. So, I looked it up, and when any of us visit your part of coastal Spain, we look forward to going out on your 31!

Tommy
M. REY

Post by M. REY »

Ofcourse I will, but first I have to finish it.
And once I finish it I will never, never, never do it again in my life, I guess but
The truth it's that I have a vintage bmw in my home garage waiting for my money, I hope to learn the lesson one day.
Ok once I finish her I will load the pics and the invitation will be sent.
Here in Galicia we have the best Celtic music, shellfish and white wine, not only in Europe but in the world.
Reggards,
M.REY
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

bruce my solonoid is 500 amp. rated as i recall when i get to the boat i will report manufacturer and model but what you illustrated is the same type 12 volt solonoid.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473