Wahoo!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

Wahoo!

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

My good friend and B31 Faithful Dr. Brian Mendenhall of Longview, TX sent me a nice chuck of wahoo they caught last weekend out of Venice, La. I consider wahoo the absolute top fish in the world, bar none.

So I decided to cook up some for me & the Bride for supper, & here's how I did it:

First, wahoo has an incredibly delicate taste and texture so it must be very, very carefully prepared and for God's sake, not overcooked.

I took a cast iron skillet and melted a half stick of real salted butter with a sprinkle of extra virgin olive oil thrown in. Then I hand chopped one green onion and added it to the saute', then pressed in two smallish cloves of fresh garlic. I let that slowly, very slowly saute' for a few minutes, then added one teaspoon of lemon juice and two teaspoons of white wine and let it all continue to saute', stirring with a wide spatula to keep it cooking uniformly. Now taste the saute'. Add wine, lemon, or a touch of sea salt to your taste if needed. Your saute should be on low to medium heat.

Take your wahoo and slice into half inch thick pieces no more than about 4" square and rinse them under tap water and pat them dry. Now the moment of truth.......lay - don't plop - the wahoo in the saute' and cook for no more than 2 minutes then flip and cook the other side for 2 minutes. Serve with some french bread and a green salad and spoon some of the saute' over the fish. The two minute rule is an absolute, any more will ruin it. I usually cheat and cook it about 90 to 100 seconds per side.

It was outstanding. Thanks, Brian.

UV
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

I consider wahoo the absolute top fish in the world, bar none.
ABSOLUTELY !!
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

There is no better!!
randall

Post by randall »

speakin of docs from longview...........

jackryan

Post by jackryan »

That a beautiful wahoo. I went out of Southwest Pass this last Sunday and fished block 89, 93, Moxie and Lena without as much a a knockdown. Beautiful weather and conditions, and lots of small tuna on the surface, but no takers. Humbling after our slaughter last trip. Can't win em all. UV, that recipe sounds great. I hope I get to use it soon.

JR
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Capt. Jack - when they get lockjaw like that and the little tuna are bustin', they are eating tiny glass minnows. You have to tackle way, way down to almost ultralight spinning tackle and 6# line and a real small jig head with a tiny soft plastic tail, something like you'd use for sac a lait. It will catch every one, but you will lose a few baits in the process......if necessary, put someone on the bow and ease up to a school and cut the engines and drift into them, let the bow man do the casting.

UV
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

UV,

Thanks for the pointers on the lockjaw tuna. The water was thick with the small glass minnows just like you said. I'll try your technique next time and hopefully you will have some tuna steaks headed your way. Have a great weekend.

JR
Garry

Post by Garry »

UV,

Your recipes are making me hungry.

High Pockets
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

UV,
We're gonna try your recipe out on Friday on some small specks and reds. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Thanks.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Capt. DQ wrote: ABSOLUTELY !!
You ain't lived till you had mullet on a stick in Tampa!
Cunado

Post by Cunado »

John,

You talkin' about those tasty 14" specks?

Brad
1972 Bertram 28 FBC