wood splittin

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

randall

wood splittin

Post by randall »

well...since my axe swinging days are over maybe ill pick up one of these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdXzaGFkWfU
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

That is sick
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

that is a slick set up....wonder how pricey it is?....I burn around 8-10 chords of wood a year...refuse to pay $3.50 or better a gallon for heating oil..especially when .60 cents are for taxes...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
lobsta1

Post by lobsta1 »

I would LOVE a toy like that. I go through about 6 > 7 cords a year plus another 1 1/2 cords of buggy, punky wood out in my shop.

Unfortunately even if I had that, I couldn't use it on most of the wood I get. The city drops off logs right next to my splitter. Beggars can't be choosers & I end up with a lot of over 4' diameter logs & crotches that the city guys don't want for themselves. They cherry pick what they want & I get the leftovers. With free delivery though I am definitely not complaining, especially since I live in an urban setting.
Al
NITES OFF
1978 B33 FBC

Al
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

We're talking CPMs here....cords per minute!!!!!!! :) AND, a hydraulic chainsaw, that is coooool!
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Now that is what I call reducing cycle time! ! !

That would be really fun to build and fun to operate for at the most may be 30 minutes.......then after that I would have to find something else to play with.

I once thought that if I had to choose one piece of heavy equipment to own, it would have to be a Backhoe.......but in todays world I would forgo a backhoe any day for a Bobcat......that is one COOL TOOL

Randall......with one of those, there AIN'T no telling how many friends you would have! ! ! !...LOL

hb
hb
Carl

Post by Carl »

Cool for a few seconds, then I got annoyed.

He's gotta wait while it cuts up the log...mount the splitter and use the gravity feeder...let the splitter split and keep loading the logs.

Sorry...hits close to home "watching an automatic machine"
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Carl
Do all of us Machinist guys think alike???? Shit! ! ! I thought it was just me! ! !

I think the splitter is the coolest thing I have seen in a long time but when the cut log did not fall right down in place and the operator had to shake it around,... I felt antsey myself......guess all of that therapy and medication just ain't working......LOL

hb
hb
randall

Post by randall »

after 30 years of driving my pick up through the woods. cutting up down trees and loading to double recommended weight, coming home and splitting it all with an axe.........it looked pretty effortless to me. of course now that i just buy about half the wood.....thats even more effortless.
Dug

Post by Dug »

I want one... Please?
Carl

Post by Carl »

Harry,
Not just you...I just got back in the office after "speaking" with a gent for hanging on the Machine window watching it work. Okay, watch the first, listen to the ops and become familiar...but now while machine is running... verify sizes, finish, debur the parts coming out, ready the next part to put in...don't belly up to the machine like your at a Bar. See it started again....what meds you taking Harry, think I need some!!

Randall,
Effortless...Yes I'll agree to that.
But in my life I set up and schedule machines to run automatic as much as possible, not so that you can stand back and watch them but so that you can move on and do something else at the same time.

Muilti-task otherwise it's like watching Glue Dry or Grass Grow.

I love to sit at the dock of the bay and watch the ships go by...but chances are I'll have a fishing pole in one hand and a Beer in the other...

Harry, I need those meds!!!
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Only one question ..... where was this tool 6 years ago when my ex-wife "plaintiff" was suing me for divorce ?!?!
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Randall.......my grandfather always told me that if you chop your own wood you warm yourself twice.

Funny thing, I was visiting a health website a couple of weeks ago and one of the life styles it suggested is to "Start mowing your own grass" as well as washing the car etc......kinda like gramps told me when I was a kid....

hb
hb
randall

Post by randall »

harry...i have had an old life change of heart. up till now i tried to be as self sufficient as possible...taking care of everything myself. my new motto is "call the guy".