Snow

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Dug

Snow

Post by Dug »

For all you guys who are not in NE, it has been an entertaining month of January, and Feb is shaping up to be no different. January was either the most or the second most snowy January on record. I believe that Boston recorded over 50" in 30 days. The difference between this year, and years past is that while the snow keeps coming, it has not been melting. We are just plain running out of places to put it! It seems silly as to why there is a limitation on this, but the Governor has allowed the dumping of snow into the harbor to begin. Normally this is a big no-no, due to pollution concers. Hey, it ends up there anyway, but who am I to say.

Here in Central MA, we have even more snow than Boston. The snow banks are halfway up the windows on my F-350 as I drive down the street, and down the highway. I passed a state police car on my way to work, and the bank was a solid 3-4 feet higher than the car.

Its pretty impressive actually. Today is the second day of snow, although it has changed to sleet and is supposed to go to rain, then back to snow again. Yesterday we got about 10" and there were another 5" on the ground this morning. We are supposed to get more Saturday, and then more again on Tuesday.

I just thought I would share with you who are from outside the area. Its been pretty wild!
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Share some pics!
randall

Post by randall »

heres a few from last week.

after working at a ski area in utah for years nothing here is gonna faze me. it averaged almost 500 inches a year there and the snow bank walls would occasionally hit fifteen feet or higher. the road to work was steep and twisty and had a 1500 foot drop off with no guard rail......they just pushed the snow off the side.
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

I was in Pennsylvania when Blizzard 93' hit..... I don't miss a thing!

Kids must be happy....no school
Dug

Post by Dug »

David!

I can't post pictures. It gets stopped by our firewall here at the good old workplace... But its on my facebook page. I'll try to send you a link to that if I can get it to link to the album.

Kids have had a lot of no school. Many adults too. We have a lot of employees who have used up a lot of vacation time over the past few weeks. And I have a friend I plow out who has been out at least 1 day a week so far this year. Fortunately she can work from home, but this week she is out two days in a row!

I think the kids will be in school doing makeup days until July! This is the top ten list of "you know you have a lot of snow when..." by a friend of mine!

‎1. Even Mumbles Manino was skiing to work (mayor of Boston)
2. Head and Shoulders suggested we should try something else
3. Boston PD traded in their cars for snow mobiles
4. Residents in Southie are running out of swing sets & Elvis statues to save their par...king spots
5. Mount Washington has given up the highest point in New England to the Braintree mall parking lot.
6. Snow birds in FL changed their return flights until July…when all the snow melts.
7. The Fourth of July celebration has included snow removal in the budget.
8. Many one story homes are now considered basement dwellings.
9. Someone saw Aunt Zeituni moving into one of the snow piles on the harbor.
10. Even the town of Wenham realizes a water ban this summer would be silly.

These followed "even a vacation in Egypt looks good right now", and "even Charlie Sheen couldn't fit it all up his nose!"
Dug

Post by Dug »

IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Dug....

Just looked at your pics taken through the windshield...

I never saw a radar detector on a snowplow before!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Dug:

That is some scary s..... to me.
Dug

Post by Dug »

IR!

Its not on... Though I do get the humor now!

Its more for when the plow is off the truck!

LOL!

D
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i used to love it more so then 100 degree weather now it is not easy to get these tired muscles to cooperate. there is one more on the buckets list. at the site of the 1984 witer olimpics (lake placid ny) there is a tall mountain called mt vandenblyd .that is the location of the olimpic bobsled run . randall or dug we get get a run on the weekends they supply brakeman. you accelerate to 80mph while desenting 4000' . lake placid also also is a nice ski area .lets not rush summer this snow can be fun if you utilized it. i will post photo`s of ice boat on bay.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Bob: Been there/done that -- and I highly recommend it -- one of the true legal rushes that has to be experienced! They would never let me do it now, they have silly medical standards and my neck and head would preclude such fun as they can't take Gs like they used to!
lobsta1

Post by lobsta1 »

This is from one of the B33 guys docked on Boston Harbor. He normally uses the boat all winter. This foto is from the mid January storm.
Al

NITES OFF
1978 B33 FBC

Al
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tom that is some great experiance. i guess the same rules apply that is they supply one man on the four man bobsled run. i imagine they wanted to know some kind of medical history . must have been exciting !! what a site on top of the bob sled run ,that is some beautiful country.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
randall

Post by randall »

bob...ice boating!!!.....i've only done it a few times but as UV would say....big fun!. however i have kayaked in the ice many times....eskimo fantasy?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

at the turn of the century the area i live in (sayville) was famous for ice boating . hundreds of people would go boozing at the restarant at the foot of the bay and watch these ice boaters . the bay froze solid every year, the last time the bay froze solid was in 1977 . the owner of the mariner oakdale yacth has alot of cool toys for us to play with one is a 1910 era oak ice boat with modern sails gets up to 60+ mph on the great south bay.fastest on clean ice and slower when running on snow covered ice. very safe you go miles and miles without the fear of hitting anything . it really doesn`t steer that well so you have to anticipate a turn long before you get to it. instantly gets going in the winds that normally blow across the bay ----real cool.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
randall

Post by randall »

i went a few times on mecox....a much smaller playing field...but...a D class racer. very small, nimble, and fast. a friend was commodore of the ice boat club. he let me play .
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

My neighbor was the national ice boating champ a few times. Competition is held up on Lake Geneva. He was probably the Very best sailor I have ever known. Won Newport Bermuda race a few times as well. (The only other guy who sailed as well was Dave Southard from Babylon.)

Jack had a beautiful, steel Sparkman Stephens Yawl that he had built in Germany and brought over on her own keel. Her name was Courtesan. About ten years ago he realized he couldn't really sail her any longer. We took her out to the Fire Island Artificial reef and scuttled her.

It took a long time for her to really settle and start to go down, but as she floundered she pitched forward and her stern shot straight up toward the sky. Jack turned and said, " She always was a lady, even with her ass in the air."

Both Jack and Dave served in the Navy during WWII and Korea. In the winter they had a lot of neat and funny war stories that they related with uncharacteristic flair. I miss them both.
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Great story...........
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

that was one great story . like putting your dog" down "rather then let it suffer. i am refering to sinking the boat on the fi reef, not getting rid of your old lady! i am not a sailor so i found it hard to make turns but in my case i really didn`t care about the direction i was going so i did not have to tack.randall you really get around!!!mecox is for the rich and famous i should have know you were there.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
randall

Post by randall »

i thought it was a great story also. like the last scene in a romance movie.

well..... i know a guy that scuttled a boat.
he bought an old rust bucket small cargo boat in colombia , filled it with pot, and ran it up the connecticut river where the drop was missed. so he finds a house with a deep water dock and no one home and unloads there. right in the middle the owner comes home.......and helps them. then they run it out about 10 miles south of montauk and open the sea cocks.......but with empty tanks it wont sink. took awhile but they got her under. i know its a true story.
i know the guy and i know the guys who "rescued" him after the boat went down.

it was a long time ago and i guess pretty far removed from ice boating on mecox.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Sink a boat today and you'll get arrested and fined for pollution. The EPA rules!
randall

Post by randall »

oh...they would have gotten arrested then.
John Swick

Post by John Swick »

Harv

Post by Harv »

Here's some pics from Brooklyn, NY during the Jan blizzard

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=13 ... aid=103308
Harv
Carl

Post by Carl »

I got a chuckle out of this when Doreen, my wife, relayed this story last night.

Jessica, my 7 year old daughter is grumbling as she struggles down the frozen sidewalk on her way to school, Doreen asks what the matter.

She responds in frustration " The Rat was wrong, its no early Spring, Stupid Rat!!" She is going to be a handfull...attitude just oozes from her.

You know its too much snow and ice when the kids are complaining.