outboard repower

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

kipp

outboard repower

Post by kipp »

Since my son, Capt. Richard, will be chartering "Targeted Species" this season we are considering repowering. No. Not gonna take off the bracket; put the boxes back in and switch to diesels. We are happy with our outboard set up. The 250 E-Tecs have given us 5 good seasons. Stuck with 2 strokes, because of weight considerations. However, the new Yamaha 300 Offshore 4 strokes went on a serious diet, and are close enough in weight. We've never run 4 strokes and would welcome any advice or comments.Hoping to get better economy at trolling speed. Any of the faithful know about the 300 Yamahas?
Thanks,
Kipp
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

$8000 per year for engines.......and you're happy with that?

You are one easy to please fellow.......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Kipp - call my son Capt. Brent, 225 268 8420. He runs nothing but 4 stroke Yamas and has for years....getting one of the new 300s on his new Skeeter and has a couple of 225s on his offshore Contender. He's makes a living with them so he knows.

UV
kipp

Post by kipp »

Mike,
Don't have to or even need to repower. E-tecs are still under warranty and running strong. Will get more for them, now. Just curious about 4 strokes, since they have become an option for us.
And I'm not easy to please. Started offshore fishing in Fountains. Would let us fish, when other boats stayed at the dock. Sound familiar. Had to find a replacement that would let us roll like we wanted, and have more cockpit space. In our search it became obvious that I wouldn't be "pleased" with any hull other than the B31.
Vic,
Headed to Venice this morning, and will call Brent.
Thanks,
Kipp
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I get it....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
captbone

Post by captbone »

The best advice that I can give is that it all depends on how good service would be in your area. If you cant get filter,oil, or warranty work then it may not be worth it.

The only other thing to consider is that those 300hp Yamahas four strokes are very thirsty compared to your DFI. The reports that I have seen will show around a 10%-15% degree in fuel economy compared to the same HP DFI strokes. DFI is still the most economical.

I would stay away from Suzukis because of the parts/warranty issues.
Honda makes an amazing product but it only goes to 225hp and is heavy.
I would look at the 250hp Optimax. They have been around a long time.
You could always make the jump to the 300hp Evinrude but like the Yamaha you will need to upgrade to electronic controls which is a pretty penny.

I see that attraction in the new four stroke but I would not want to be a test subject as the local tech and Yamaha work out all of the bugs that do pop up with every product.

I would say Mercury or Evinrude.

Just my 2 cents.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

no arguments this time but it struck me funny .susuki ---parts/warranty issue ???????? call me any time what ever you need susuki and for a big ass 31 bertram the wheels!!! 1/2" larger very,very ,very important
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
captbone

Post by captbone »

bob lico

Post by bob lico »

totally meanningless!!! oakdale yacth 40 ---df 300`s by the truckload. extended warrantee same as anybody else . the next time we have both apart you will puke. yamaha----6' of common v belt serpintine around half a dozen thin alluminum pulleys driving camshaft , fuel injection , oil pump etc, one slight pulley chip and those 250,300,350 yamaha explode . please come sunday you can sit on top of the powerhead pile. susuki has a rollar chain to do the same job just like the double rollar driving camshaft on two thousand hp big block. all have problems thats what keeps us in business but susuki has honor all warranty problems and we stand by our sales no matter what.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

Bob- how long has oakdale been a suZuki dealer?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

at least 10 years we sell almost 100% yamaha now because thats what the boats we sell come rigged from the factory with. however we have to be responsible for all the trade in`s . by and large it seems like verado holds up well . i have no opinion only what i see, just a casual observer.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473