Block heaters

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Russ Pagels

Block heaters

Post by Russ Pagels »

It will getting on time to install the Cummins 6bta engines back into the 31. they will have block heaters in them. Now the question is will the new Phasor genset also need a block heater? It will sitting out board of the port engine. I have been told that it won't need one as the engine block heater will be sufficient to keep them both warm enough. I live on the southern outer banks of NC tempture today is 34 going to 49 it does drop down in the 20's but warms during the day...thanks ..Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

forgot to mention the boat is keep on a lift...Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

A light bulb under the gennny might provide enough heat for nights like that.

Make sure that the block heaters are where you can service them without lifting the engine. Things that sit in liquid and have current flowing through them don't live forever. To that end, you should also put a continuity tester on them every once in a while. It would suck to lose an engine because you trusted it to a 'cup-o-tea' maker.....

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

russ mine has a pre heater, turn the key to the left for a few seconds, then to the right to crank over, never a problem
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

Mike, on the first boat, the gasser,I would use RV anti freeze for the fresh water side and have light bulbs under each engine box. With block heaters I was hoping to get away from that process...Russ

Charlie, what i was looking for was to keep the blocks from freezing during the winter when the boat is not in use and hoped the block heaters would do this for the genset also....Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

russ you should be alright just make sure of your antifreeze, hell mines sitting in 5 degree weather right now, checked it yeasterday, shoveled some snow out of the cockpit and made sure scuppers and drain were clear, days are getting longer and colder
1968 hull # 316 - 757
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

my block heaters stay on 24/7 --365 days a years . some day i wish i could see these cummins smoke ,not so much as a slight vapor even!!!. the key is to use 750 watt ---240 volt TYPE. plug into 110 volt dockside power all year . the key switch manifold heater on the cummins is a entirely differant animal . yes it helps start on cold day but the block heater keeps engine compartment warm and the engine paint looks like the day it went in the boat. the engine block heater is wolverine brand and is inserted in the plug just in back of oil filter on starboard side of engine. if you can tell me how to fix computer (to upload) i would post photo.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

welcom the to the sunny south,weekend snow...Russ

1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

bob lico

Post by bob lico »

wow i had no idea snow was still on the ground especially that close to the ocean. the temperature today on long island is 5 degrees ! the coldest day so far this year . bay is starting to freeze enough for ice boats and snowmobiles.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Just a quick comment on air pre-heaters...

Don't ever use ether/starting fluid to help start an engine with air pre-heaters! The electrical heating elements will not like having ether laden air passing over them! POOOF! Big POOOF!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

IR, do you have block heaters on your boat. and if you do,is that all you need for winter in NC...Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

bob lico

Post by bob lico »

who mention either! never -never use either on marine diesel. cummins uses a electric heat element in the intake manifold . after you turn switch on it works off thermostat and pre heats air to assist start up . needless to say you could kill yourself putting either in intake manifold! the block heater is put into lower half of block water jacket and there is a simple trick for installation so you don`t drain or lose glycol.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Using the KIM heaters with the thermostat. Get the thermostat.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

thanks,JP
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Russ,

After putting the block heaters you'll never need the Cummins pre heaters. Engine block stays a constant temp of warm, think our thermostats are off at 110 and on at 80.

The block heater is doing what the preheaters normally would have to do before the engine gets to temperature. Much less blue smoke at start up and no bark and rattle associated with starting an ice cold block.

This was a win win.

Just a quick note:

If your not running the Cummins "Blue" coolant it may not be a bad idea to drain and flush the system when you do the block heaters. If you have the recommended coolant I believe the trick that Bob's talking about is simply pulling a vacuum on the coolant system when you knock out the freeze plug and put the heater in. The KIM heaters require some indexing to fit correctly, if you don't have to flush the system you'll need to work quickly.

Some of the yellow or green coolants are high in silicates and have a tendency to build up on the exchangers. We received CHIMERA with the wrong coolant and changed it out, took 1/2 gallon of flushing agent and long run and then two more flushes with straight water to remove all the gunk from the system. Topped off with Fleetguard "blue" and the operating temp dropped 5 degrees. I'm a believer
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Russ...

I had block heaters installed when I had some engine work done some time ago. I was not sure what wattage to ask for so I left it up to the mechanic. He installed 1,000 watts each, which I was later told is much too large. I am now considering setting them up with either a thermostat or using a large rheostat to control the power to them.. I have alse been advised I could wire the two of them in series and that would reduce their output. This is one of the items I want to address this summer.

I had two reasons to want block heaters.. first is the recognized fact that moisture in the engines and the engine room is reduced, but secondly my slip is directly behind one of my neighbor's house, and his screened in porch they use all the time is located about 50' away from my transom, and to be a good neighbor I want to minimize startup smoke.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
gplume

Post by gplume »

I have a "zerostart" from Philps and Temro. Heats the water, and sets up a natural circulation. Engine gets up to...120-130 ish. Works well.....Keeps my very cold blooded Cummins 504's starting in the colder NE fall weather. I can dig up the model number if you are interested.
Giff
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Russ, I think you will be fine with just the engine block heaters. I have them on my CATs and the engine compartment is warm and toaty. Your gen will be pleanty warm. Can't wait to see her finished.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

Thanks to one and all for the responses, I now have all the information to proceed with the project, its good to know that the block heaters will take care of the winterization problem,thanks again ...Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

That palm tree in the snowy picture has got to be awful pissed off !!
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Bertramp wrote:That palm tree in the snowy picture has got to be awful pissed off !!
Not half as pissed as the pelican...
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

It's 55 going going 60 today. summers here...Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

we had pelicans in jones inlet years ago, thought i was loosing it
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Goober

Re: Block heaters

Post by Goober »

Got blockheaters on my yanmars they are mounted on engine bed between mounts with a 1/2 in bypass hose I think from oil cooler back to cooling system keeps complete engine and engine compartment at app 110 to 120 dgs in just about any weather turn key on and gauge says 110 with absolutley no drag on starters in 30to 40 dgs hope this helps BR goober
jrhaszard

Post by jrhaszard »

My genset has a raw water heat exchanger which I drain and flush with RV antifreeze, but the other side of that heat exchanger I am told has a nonfreezing metallic liquid that doesn't get changed. sounds strange to me but there is no antifreeze put into the non raw water cooling side of the system. I keep the thermostatically controlled block heaters on the 6bta's when the boat is kept in the water over the winter at home but when it is on blocks at the marina they don't like us to keep them plugged in all winter.So far there has been no freezing issues with the genset.
BERG1847M80F
John Jackson

Post by John Jackson »

I tried a different approach with a 600 watt "Extreme Heater" under the deck between the engines. It has worked out great. Been using the boat all winter and the diesel motors start right up with minimal smoke. This would likely keep a generator warm too.
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

68-53 in so cal 2 day

Headed out for a 3 day weather is 61-41 off shore

saweet
Sportsmen Conservation Sustainable Harvest Accountability Integrity with the spirit of a Warrior.